1200 calories sucks !!!

Options
I am trying to stay at the 1200 calorie goal but I feel like its not enough. I am always hungry and I don't know if it's just a subconscious thing. What are some great vegetarian friendly foods that will make my bottomless pit seem a little less bottomless :)

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Honestly, it's not enough for a lot of us! I tried it for awhile and was always hungry, eventually tired and cranky due to lack of fuel. Then I found out that 1200 was below my BMR - less than what a doctor would prescribe for my nourishment if I was in a coma. :tongue:

Have a look at this thread - great info and links to tools where you can calculate your numbers and see how much you should be eating: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912914-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013

I've been at 1800+ for the past year, and am losing weight and fat - it's awesome.
  • JeneticTraining
    JeneticTraining Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I think you should bump it up to 1350 calories and add exercise as well
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    unless you are very small (under 5ft) you should be able to eat more than that and still lose at a good pace. no use being in a rush if it's so hard to do that you can't sustain it.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    if you're hungry you're not eating enough..

Listen to your body.. give it good nutritious fuel and it will only ask for what it needs.

I'm never hungry..

also.. bump you your protein. that will fill you up
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    How many pounds per week are you trying to lose? Unless you're only trying to lose 1/2 pound a week, try setting your goal for 1/2 pound less, and see if that calorie level is more satisfying. Also, eating more protein and fat helps me feel full for a few hours longer.
  • carryingon
    carryingon Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I added a couple hundred cals. My weight loss didn't slow and I became a nicer person who had more energy! I highly recommend adding cals and watching to see where weight loss stalls. :flowerforyou:
  • kellyb234
    kellyb234 Posts: 27
    Options
    Thanks these are all great ideas !
  • Bennyflippy
    Bennyflippy Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Holy crap I feel the same way. I am always hungry with only 1200 calories. I don't get it at all.

:mad:
  • marypatmccue
    marypatmccue Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    As other people have mentioned, 1200 calories is not sufficient for most people, unless they're right around 5' tall, and already thin-ish.

Look at the roadmap -- You should never eat below BMR. Calculate your TDEE, and eat at 10-20% below. You'll lose weight and fat, especially if you add that to a lifting routine.

Good luck, and eat up!
  • JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Honestly, it's not enough for a lot of us! I tried it for awhile and was always hungry, eventually tired and cranky due to lack of fuel. Then I found out that 1200 was below my BMR - less than what a doctor would prescribe for my nourishment if I was in a coma. :tongue:

Have a look at this thread - great info and links to tools where you can calculate your numbers and see how much you should be eating: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912914-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013

I've been at 1800+ for the past year, and am losing weight and fat - it's awesome.

To this poster who wrote above: Look at that great muscle you are supporting in your pic! I don't have it yet, but I hope to as I start to bulk up more over the next year. Until I get my knees strengthened and can work out harder, I am at 1200.

A vegetarian would have to add tofu, soy, wheat germ, protein bars, and lots of nuts to feel full enough. Make sure you watch your "macros" (fat/protein/carbs) or you'll always feel hungry at 1200. I have to pace myself very evenly through the day to make it, and a lighter day thrown in here and there, and a heavier day thrown in here and there both seem to help keep me from either feeling too hungry or stalling out.
  • ICOZA7
    ICOZA7 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm a big believer in listening to your body. If you are physically hungry, you probably need more food. If you are tired, even though you're getting sufficient sleep.. you probably need more food. I know I didn't get this big by eating when I was physically hungry... I got here by eating just because (and eating foods that are less than healthy). Intake goals are nice, but if it's too much or too little, listen to yourself :)
    Also... whole grains, protein, good for providing the body sources of fuel that don't metabolize as quickly.
  • xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    As other people have mentioned, 1200 calories is not sufficient for most people, unless they're right around 5' tall, and already thin-ish.

Look at the roadmap -- You should never eat below BMR. Calculate your TDEE, and eat at 10-20% below. You'll lose weight and fat, especially if you add that to a lifting routine.

Good luck, and eat up!

Everyone keeps saying this. I'm 5'0, around 24-25% body fat, 120 pounds and my TDEE-20% is still 1600 calories. Just because you are small does not mean you require less calories. My BMR alone is 1285.
  • successby50
    successby50 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I had a consultation with a nutritionist, and at 1200 calories, she said I was starving myself! She recommended upping the calorie intake to about 1350-1400. HOWEVER, in doing so, she also strongly urged me to "eat clean", meaning no processed foods. While the weight is coming off slowly, I feel 100% better not fueling my body with processed junk!
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    1200 isn't enough calories. You can up that amount to between 1300 - 1600 and still lose weight. And it's a way more sustainable approach to weight loss.....you won't be starving and you'll have plenty of nutrition to fuel your workouts.
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    I have no problem sticking with 1200 calories but bumped mine up to 1350 because my weight loss stalled for 3 months. Now its moving again. I eat a lot of fresh veggies with lean protein, an apple or 2 a day and a banana, greek yogurt etc. I don't eat any processed foods other than the yogurt that is. Used to make my own yogurt but don't always feel like doing that. If you're hungry then eat. Bump up your calories a little bit at a time and see how you can handle that.
  • SavannahMarett
    SavannahMarett Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I know this probably won't be the same for you BUT I lost 5 lbs in 1.5 weeks by eating 2100 calories and working my butt off at the gym. I spend usually about 10 hrs a week at the gym doing cardio and weights. If you aren't eating enough you will put your body in starvation mode which it then hold on to whatever fat you have. And as others said, if you are hungry then EAT! Just don't go for a Big Mac and fries :) lol. Your body knows what it needs and honestly, I am never hungry throughout the day and I rarely eat my calorie goal. Feel free to add me on here and we can talk more if you want. Good luck!
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I am trying to stay at the 1200 calorie goal but I feel like its not enough. I am always hungry and I don't know if it's just a subconscious thing. What are some great vegetarian friendly foods that will make my bottomless pit seem a little less bottomless :)

If you are not well nourished (and that means that you need to cover your micro-nutrients--which is difficult, but not impossible, to do on 1200 calories) you will be hungry. If you are exercising, your nutritional needs grow a bit. Why not eat at least some of your exercise calories back? You will feel better and be better nourished and more able to maintain your weight loss. Some people do not tolerate a strictly vegan diet well. I know I didn't (I'm one of the only people I know, who gained weight on a vegetarian diet--too many carbs). If you do some heavy lifting and get plenty of high quality protein (eggs and fish are some of the best sources if you don't like meat). Some here will disagree, but I have spoken to a number of people who have found that it is very difficult to stay well-nourished on a strictly vegan diet. The human body seems to thrive on animal protein.
  • marypatmccue
    marypatmccue Posts: 521 Member
    Options

Good luck, and eat up!

Everyone keeps saying this. I'm 5'0, around 24-25% body fat, 120 pounds and my TDEE-20% is still 1600 calories. Just because you are small does not mean you require less calories. My BMR alone is 1285.

Touche... Clearly that was a VAST generalization to make a point... that was further illustrated by your input :wink:
    1200 really is TOO low for most people