How should I use protein powder?

Options
I just bought vanilla whey protein powder today because I've been trying to get more protein in my diet. I just mixed a scoop of it with 16oz of water after my workout today. I managed to choke it down, but I didn't enjoy it.

How should I be using this stuff? Any ideas or suggestions? (It's Bodylogix's Vanilla Ice Cream, if that makes a difference).

Replies

• grapegorilla13
    grapegorilla13 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I mix with milk, but if that doesn't work then consider orange juice or almond milk. Choking it back with water is not a tasty way to do it :) Some people mix in shakes with fruit, peanut butter, etc.

There also better/worse tasting protein powders so you might consider trying others.
  • jettaptl
    jettaptl Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I make smoothies with unsweetened coconut milk + frozen fruit (blueberries or peaches, about 0.5 cups) + frozen spinach (0.5 cups).
    Sometimes I have to add water and/or ice. I'll mix it up every now and then with different fruits.

If you don't have a blender, get one of those shaker bottles (they have something to break up the protein powder clumps). I sometimes take those to work and just put 1 cup of the coconut milk + 1 scoop of protein powder.
  • xaMErica
    xaMErica Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Do a search for smoothies.. I used to make a frappe type drink every morning with vanilla protein powder! I loved it! =)
  • ChristiSykes
    ChristiSykes Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    mix 2 scoops with unsweetened almond milk and a bunch of strawberries and half a banana! :)
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Different brands can taste very different, so don't give up on just using it as is. I like the flavor of the one I buy, but ive tasted some others that are downright nasty.
  • cdoyleak
    cdoyleak Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    1 cup frozen fruit
    1 cup skim milk
    1/2 cup water
    1 scoop of powder
    Dash of Truvia
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Water + non-horrific-tasting powder == delicious

Pick up some trutein next time.
  • ValleyNikki
    Options
    Ive never used that brand . I rarely get Vanilla protein powder . There are actually alot of yummy brands/flavors out there .
    Vanilla is good to cook with tho .

I use it to make Pancakes . ( Powder , 1 egg , water or milk , mix & make ; some people add a banana in the 'batter' )
    Its good if you blend it with ice and milk also .

Next time i would pick up some Optimom Nutrition or Truetein .
  • cortneysmissionpossible
    Options
    i put a scoop into my pancake mix and there are a bunch of healthy dessert recipes that call for protein powder.

it wouldn't give you your daily target but it could help.. i can not stand the way it taste either when its just the powder/water or even powder/milk
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    16 oz is too much water. i find when they're too diluted they're not as good. usually there's a sweet spot. might be 4 or 6 or 8 oz depending on brand.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Remember the scene from The Departed, where Jack Nicholson takes the two girls back to his room after the opera, and starts throwing cocaine on them, and on the ceiling?

Not like that.
  • Mario_Az
    Mario_Az Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    First i would say make sure you get a good tasting one if you want a good inexpensive one try this one at Walmart

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Six-Star-Muscle-Scientifically-Engineered-Anabolic-Protein-Whey-Protein-2-Lb/10533111

if you want a better one try this one at tiger fitness
    http://www.tigerfitness.com/MTS-Whey-Protein-5lbs-p/mtswhey.htm

good video on

Take Whey Protein Supplement with Milk or Water???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6djclXhTYA
  • twistygirl
    twistygirl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I think you were brave to add 16oz of water, I mix mines with a half of cup of warm water and gulp it down I can use my calories for something else. A body builder suggested I use only water with the protein and it will keep you full for severely hours so you don't snack it works warm water and as little as possible.
  • Grubbmeister276
    Grubbmeister276 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I guess I never have bought Vanilla because my introduction to health shakes was a lady I visited in a retirement home whose doctor recommended Ensure--but she said she could hardly swallow the stuff, and she had those Vanilla ones. As I began getting more serious about results and Nutrition and purchased some for myself--suffice it to say I've never bought a Vanilla shake, even though I've tried various Ensure, MuscleMilk, Slimfast, Kellogg's, and Nestle Boost shakes. I bought a Strawberry powder mix by BodyFortress, and it was just as bad as several of the others. But if you thought Vanilla would be tasty when you bought it... like the other fella said, use milk instead. Also, I've really not had all that good results with anything strawberry, except with Nestle Boost--and their chocolate is really good, too (and those are very high in calories, as well). In my experience, chocolate always masks any bitterness the best, though, it works right in to the chocolate flavoring, which is slightly bitter. Good luck with getting the most out of your current stock and nutrition investment. The one gal wants you to make pancakes with it... I don't know if heating them is recommended, but if you don't die trying, tell us how they taste! They actually sound pretty tasty!
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    I was mixing mine with milk, but it's just gross. I ended up making a smoothie with banana, milk, berries and sometimes yogurt. I can still taste the suff, but I can still stomach it this way.
  • Grubbmeister276
    Grubbmeister276 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Twistygirl: Body builders go out of their way to avoid dairy, which is crazy--especially in the light of new evidence. They are sadly misinformed. Lowfat dairy has been found very effective in binding to fat in the digestive tract and removing it from the body before it ever gets digested, enough to cut the fat processed by your body in half! That almond milk stuff is worthless, as well. You get 6g of protein with a cup of milk, but far less with Almond sludge. Use the dairy! :smile: