Big Exercise = Big Appetite... HELP!

Options
Okay, I've been trying to hit it hard in the workout department, but with that I've started having a voracious appetite!! It feels awesome to have a great workout and see all those calories burned, but then the rest of the day I'm struggling not to eat them all back and negate the work I just put in. What am I doing wrong?? Anyone have any suggestions?

Replies

• daoc1972
    daoc1972 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Eat. Not to be flip, but you need to fuel your body if you are going to do that much exercise. Find some things that are high in protein and low in carbs. Good fats are also good for keeping you sated longer.
  • haymancm
    haymancm Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I like to eat either some grilled chicken, a wrap, or maybe even a cup of broccoli (some kind of veggie) if I'm short on my calorie allowance. Got to eat about every 3 hours, or when hungry. Are you drinking enough water in your day?
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Eat. The way MFP works is that you should be eating your exercise calories.
  • xaMErica
    xaMErica Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Eat!! You have to get over that.. and listen to your body! =) I used to be so strict on myself with eating my calories.. now if I'm hungry I eat some back.. sometimes all of them!
  • ahende3
    ahende3 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Before eating try to drink a cup of water. If that does not help than eat, The need for water often comes out as hunger!The main thing to remember is that burning all those calories means you need to eat more anyway...if not your body will hit starvation mode.
  • michaela4910
    michaela4910 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Eat. The way MFP works is that you should be eating your exercise calories.

Yep, this. Eat away! Just choose your snacks wisely.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    The whole point to the way this site works is that you eat those calories back (at least partially). You get hungrier because you require more calories to sustain your workouts. It's as simple as that!
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    if you are logging accurately, then you are eating at a deficit before you even exercise. If you add exercise, you increase this deficit, so you can eat them back and still be at a deficit. Most people would suggest not eating them all back though, as calorie burn numbers are really estimates, and MFP tends to overestimate. (i will eat back up to half)
    You may think "well, if i create a bigger deficit ill lose faster so I don't want to eat them back" but if you are often hungry then it becomes really hard to stay disciplined and motivated.
  • CBeland2013
    Options
    Make sure you drink lots of water, could be your boday asking for more hydration after such a had workout. Also, eat GOOD foods. There are certain foods that count as negative calories because your body burns more calories digesting the food...apples, grapes, watermelon, and a few others. (For the while list, you can google it or look for it on pinterest.) After a good workout, I drink a big glass of fruit infused water and eat a banana. The potassium is good for your body. For the rest of your day, just make sure you eat healthy. But, eat! You need the fuel to keep conquering those workouts.
  • amanciaz
    amanciaz Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I do best by focusing on one component at a time. The hunger I get for working out is a lot harder to resist than the normal hunger. So I don't usually start working out until I'm at or near my goal weight. I just can't do both at the same time for some reason.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Okay, I've been trying to hit it hard in the workout department, but with that I've started having a voracious appetite!! It feels awesome to have a great workout and see all those calories burned, but then the rest of the day I'm struggling not to eat them all back and negate the work I just put in. What am I doing wrong?? Anyone have any suggestions?
    You are exercising for the wrong reason. With only 15 pounds to lose you aren't going to help by creating a huge deficit.
  • Deev79
    Deev79 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I just saw a post about eating back your calories. I seen even more advanced members who don't fully understand it. So i'll do my best to explain it for the people who don't understand it, or don't see the point.

Lets say to maintain your weight you need 2,500 calories. MFP will take away 1000 calories if you set it to lose 2lbs a week. So MFP will put you at 1,500 calories to lose 2lbs a week. Remember 1,500 is the calories you need to lose 2lbs a week.

You go exercise and burn 1000 calories. This takes energy away from your body. It puts you in a energy deficit of 1,000 calories. So it's like you only ate 500 calories. So you should eat back the 1000 calories to go back to 1,500 calories(weight loss of 2lbs a week).
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/636086-eating-back-exercise-calories-for-those-who-don-t-get-it
    [/quote]

Thank you--this does make sense!!