Need a healty way to cook Shrimp..Any ideas?

Options
I have a bag of pre-cooked shrimp so I am trying to come up with a Healthy Recipe.. Any suggestions?:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Replies

• themetra
    themetra Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of a little bit of olive oil, white wine, garlic and lemon, but if its precooked, you may end up over cooking it and end up with rubbery shrimp :(
  • shalma
    shalma Posts: 80
    Options
    cut up shrimp, add diced celery, light mayo, salt and pepper. It makes "shrimp salad". I put it in a whole wheat pita with a little romaine lettuce.

I also just like shrimp cocktail with cocktail sauce. Easy, low cal and then load up on side dishes that are light
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    I've found that with pre-cooked frozen shrimp, it's best to thaw them (I just run them under cold water for awhile) and pat dry with paper towels, or let them sit in a clean towel for a little while. If I want the taste of nice, grilled shrimp, I put a pan on high, spray with pam and just let each side get a nice little sear. (I like the crunchy, carmelized outside).... and serve with by favorite side of veggies. If I'm throwing them into a stir-fry or sauce, I just make sure to add them at the last minute. You just want to heat them through; not cook them any further.

Lately, my favorite is to saute some onions & garlic and throw in some diced veggies (usually zucchini and aspargus) until soft, throw in the shrimp for the last minutes (just until heated) and take it all off the heat. Then I spoon it into iceberg lettuce leafs and eat it like a taco or wrap! YUM!
  • melville88
    melville88 Posts: 137
    Options
    shrimp fajitas: cook onions and peppers till almost ready then add the shrimp and spice mix, serve with tortillas or salad

shrimp stir fry, shrimp curry (pan fry onions till golden (use water not oil), add half a can of chopped tomatoes, garlic, ginger, curry powder and allow to caramelise, then when almost ready add the shrimp).

I love stir-fry with shrimps, again using water instead of oil. They go great with a sweet and sour stir fry sauce (try and find one thats about 50 cals max) then a few noodles (i use a 1/3 of a nest- about 40 grams cooked) then throw in the shrimp at the end- delicious! x
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I love to cook up spaghetti with alfredo sauce and then throw the shrimp in the sauce just enough to heat them up. :happy:
  • Jennplus2
    Jennplus2 Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I get a big bag of mixed frozen veggies. Stir fry the veggies and add the shrimp in at the end. Healthy, VERY low in calories and yummy! My kids love to play with veggies and trade the veggies they like. My son loves the "little trees" ie brocoli, and my daughter trades her brocoli for his baby corn. My honey likes to add one tablespoon of pineapple salsa to mix in and that gives it a little sweet flavor but only adds 25 calories. Great way to get the fam to eat their vegetables!
  • sandara
    sandara Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    Stir fry sauce
    1/4 cup soy sauce
    2 tsp cornstarch
    2 tsp splenda granular
    1/8 to 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper (I use 1/8 tsp)
    Just throw in whatever veggies you like

But it is high in sodium. I use the same sauce with chicken and beef too. The original recipe is on www.splenda.com and I think it's called Sweet & Spicy shrimp.
  • deeann1459
    deeann1459 Posts: 116
    Options
    shrimp ceviche... just make a fresh salsa with no tomato paste, all veggies. Thaw the shrimp, but make sure they are still cold. Add a little lime juice, if you don't usually add that to your salsa.

This stuf is yummy as all get out. I can eat a bowl of it plain, but it makes a nice pasta salad and is great on chips. I am a carb junkie though, so I have found that avoidance is my best bet... you might not be though.
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Stir fry sauce
    1/4 cup soy sauce
    2 tsp cornstarch
    2 tsp splenda granular
    1/8 to 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper (I use 1/8 tsp)
    Just throw in whatever veggies you like

But it is high in sodium. I use the same sauce with chicken and beef too. The original recipe is on www.splenda.com and I think it's called Sweet & Spicy shrimp.

You can reduce the sodium by using low sodium soy sauce. They do make it. Recipe sounds good.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    Bumpin the great ideas, thanks all!:flowerforyou:
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    I get a big bag of mixed frozen veggies. Stir fry the veggies and add the shrimp in at the end. Healthy, VERY low in calories and yummy! My kids love to play with veggies and trade the veggies they like. My son loves the "little trees" ie brocoli, and my daughter trades her brocoli for his baby corn. My honey likes to add one tablespoon of pineapple salsa to mix in and that gives it a little sweet flavor but only adds 25 calories. Great way to get the fam to eat their vegetables!
    :laugh: That's so funny about the kids but hey it sounds like it's working great!!:drinker:
  • marquesj
    marquesj Posts: 47
    Options
    Yeah I overcooked them.. LOL They were like Rubber.. Thanks for all the good ideas next time I fix shrimp the right way...:flowerforyou: