protein for vegan?

Options
2»

Replies

• thevegankelly
    thevegankelly Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Oh and I'll add a non-judgmental reason why you calling yourself a "vegan" when you eat fish and some other animal products is annoying: When people use a label that doesn't apply to them, the meaning can change in the minds of people who don't understand the label. That's why the vegetarian option at my work Christmas party a few years ago was salmon.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    I am looking at becoming vegan (except I'm still going to eat fish, I know that's kind of messed up) I have already cut out gluten and lactose from my diet and I am feeling so much better (I recently had my gallbladder out, and other complications). What are some protein sources that I can draw from if I go vegan and stop eating birds and cows?

Also, kind of sad due to my health problems I am looking a little malnourished, I am trying to start eating more and build my metabolism, would anyone want to look at my diary and tell me if I'm way off? I am at my goal weight, but I certainly don't have my goal body, I have been in chronic pain and unable to exercise for months, so I am looking forward to finally being healthy :) Thank you!

My God...call yourself whatever you want. If people are that upset tell them to get a life. I mean seriously I cook 36 meals a week of pre-measured food, do cardio at 4am, and lift 6 times a week for an hour and have to lose 50 pounds in 12 weeks for bodybuilding competitions...quite a sacrifice and I couldn't give 2 $h@ts if some 150 pound guy that casually lifts calls himself a "bodybuilder". Seriously...who cares. Hell I'll call myself a vegan from now and I eat 1 pound of red meat a day.

To your question though. Eat...fish. If you are going to eat fish eat em up! Also, how do you feel about whey protein or dairy ie eggs. How about egg whites? I know the vegans say no to all animal products but since you are making a fish exception i thought I'd ask.

I know plenty of vegans who will allow themselves whey protein (even though yes it does come from an animals indirectly).

Anyway here is some...

tofu
    soymilk
    hemp protein powder
    pea protein powder
    Fish (since you are making the exception)
    beans
    nuts/pb/almonds/etc
    quinoa

I'm sure there is others I just can think of any of the top of my head

This and broccoli, kale, couscous, lentils, brown rice, and my secret for low protein days: nutritional yeast. I put it on casseroles, rice, lentil stews, and it's awesome on popcorn!
    Download 21 day vegan jump start app for your smart phone for some free recipes. I'm glad you are eating fish because you have so many restrictions:).
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    you are a vegetation not a vegan. a vegan EATS NOTHING DAIRY OR MEAT. fish is meat. I am a vegan. i do not eat ANYTHING that has meat or dairy.
    you're a vegan and you don't even know what a vegetarian is? :huh:

I bet you eat honey too.
  • toffee322
    toffee322 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    i eat vegetarian meals most of the time, but i still eat egg and cheese... sometimes i eat fish/seafood. i don't eat meat because i don't like meat. i don't like the smell of it and the taste of it. i'm eating less fish/seafood now because eventually i want to eliminate all food with blood if that makes sense! lol.. anyway, regarding your question, i think beans is a good source of protein, also peanut butter and nuts in general.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    you are a vegetation not a vegan. a vegan EATS NOTHING DAIRY OR MEAT. fish is meat. I am a vegan. i do not eat ANYTHING that has meat or dairy.
    you're a vegan and you don't even know what a vegetarian is? :huh:

I bet you eat honey too.

it's precious when the vegans, vegetarians, pescatarians, and other -arians all try to out -arian each other :laugh:
  • Vegmelissa
    Vegmelissa Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If you consider eating fish and being generally vegan, instead of pissing off a bunch of vegans by saying you're something you aren't say you are leading a Rastafarian diet, otherwise known as "ital" It is vegan except they eat fish. No land creatures or anything that came from them. But if you decide to do it for ethical reasons and not just diet, you should go full vegan. Good luck:flowerforyou:
  • SleepySin
    SleepySin Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Not gonna beat the dead horse either and plenty of people have included vegan sources of protein already SO.. add me if you'd like. I've been a strict vegan for 8 years now so I'm pretty set on the ins and outs and you can just look at my food diary to get an idea of where I get my protein. Just for the record, I'm at 100g of pure plant-sourced protein today :)

Edit: Make that 105g of protein by night's end! Raw cashews - yummm!