Possibly Celiac - need help please

Options
I have a long history of digestive problems, but recently they have gotten worse and my doctor now thinks i might be celiac
This kind of really worries me if it is true
If i loose gluten form my diet i feel lik nearly all foods will be ruled out!
Im already intolerant to rice, potatoes, some pastas , anything high in starch (so many breads), and am allergic to mushrooms, nuts, pomegranates, and goji berries, while also being vegan for many years

Anyone who is celiac, or not but still has suggestions, could you please tell me what foods would now fit into my diet??
I am a bit worried that my choices will be quite limited :(
Will i be at greater health risks?
Or should i just have some gluten anyway and deal witha ny consequences??

Thanks for all and any advice!!

Replies

• cainie19
    cainie19 Posts: 126
    Options
    bread and pasta contain gluten and you already dont eat those so that shouldnt be a problem. you can also buy glutenfree substitutes for these things.being celiac or gluten intolerant is not as hard as you think it will be!
  • leotardbanshee
    leotardbanshee Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I am starting a gluten free diet too! and I thought it was going to be horrible, but there are a surprising amount of options! i have been using oat flour and tapioca flour. i found glutino crackers and deboles spaghetti that are gluten free. it was mainly spending a lot of time in the health foods aisle and a little extra money but the investment is well worth it for your long term health and since you are already vegan you have a lot of practice reading the ingredients of food. bob's red mill is an amazing brand or gluten intolerant people! I would also recommend smoothies as a go to food, i love them and i can pack nutrients into them, they are easy and portable, i've been adding soy protein powder for extra protien. good luck!

in order to be tested for celiac disease you have to have gluten in your system for four weeks for them to give you an accurate diagnosis. i didn't bother getting tested because i could just be gluten intolerant and that won't show up in the tests they do. also you have to get biopsied and i don't have the money or desire to do that. i have been gluten and lactose free for 5 days and my IBS has gotten so much better!
  • cainie19
    cainie19 Posts: 126
    Options
    tests for celiac disease ie bloods are mainly unreliable and give false negatives, and biopsies are invasive and not always conclusive so i'd recommend just cutting out gluten and seeing how you get on. i'm gluten free due to an intolerance rather than celiac disease and my partner has celiac disease and we get on just fine.
  • eylia
    eylia Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    It really isn't hard. I've been diagnosed since age 8, and I knew what I could and couldn't have then. Fruits (those that you can eat without problems), vegetables, herbs and spices, and lean meat; all fine. If you're already unable to eat most pasta and bread then you won't have much trouble missing them. There are corn or buckwheat based pasta, check the ingredients as many GF brands use rice also. Personally, I don't buy many substitutes at all as they cost more and I prefer not to eat processed things anyway. I manage my entire shop at the supermarket with normal fresh produce. Granted, I turn to rice as an easy access filler if I need a 'carrier', but vegetables like potato, sweet potato and cauliflower all do that job fine. Also, things like beans, lentils or quinoa work well. If you are diagnosed, it is not recommended to continue to eat gluten; it isn't just a sensitivity or intolerance, it's an allergy; whether you realise it or not continually digesting it will cause permanent damage in the long run, but they will tell you this at diagnosis if you are positive.

Edit! Ahh, sorry, just realised also vegan! Most tofu and tempeh are GF friendly, though, mum's a vegetarian, so it's been quite common in my diet. Just check labels, and it's always mentioned if theres wheat (even just traces).
  • MrsBozz1
    MrsBozz1 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I am not Celiac but a lot of my family is. My mom and my brother are both. 15 years ago it was very hard to find alternatives but now a days there is tons of yummy stuff out there :smile: I would recommend not continuing to eat gluten if it is a problem because it can cause serious problem long term. Your body spends so much time processing/fighting the gluten that kind short circuits. My mom didn't discover the problem until she was like 40 and she has bad sceriois (an autoimmune skin condition) because of it. Not only will you feel so much better now but you will safe yourself a lot of problem when you're older. You can do this and once you get used to it it is so worth it! Good luck!!
  • MaiLinna
    MaiLinna Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    There are plenty of ways around it now, but they're not easy on the wallet. Being a vegan for so long, however, you should be able to manage.