Love to jog BUT.........

Options
Okay I have a question and ned some suggestions. I love to jog but every time I do I am in pain afterwards my knees kill me. I have a coupe of things working against me but I still hope there is some way I can still jog. For one I am flat footed. Second and most important I have bad bones. I am on the depo bc shot and have been on it for almost 15 years minus a year or so. Depo is notorious for bone loss so I think that is also a reason for my knee pain. Does anyone else have problems with their knees but still run? Will a knee brace help at all?

Replies

• BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    I have flat feet too. It makes it a bit harder, but we can still run.

You'll want to make sure you're wearing the right running shoes. Find a good runner's store and they'll check out your running form and find you a good pair. You may need extra cushioning and support.

Other than that you may want a doc to look you over if it persists.

Good luck!
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    ^^^this

Shoes...... expect to spend 150$ +/- for a good pair
    Did you try glucosamine? It really help my knees.

Good luck
  • lunglady
    lunglady Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I have been on Depo for 18 years (with a short break to have my son). My bones are fine.

Furthermore, I have not heard any reports of bone loss with Depo. Did you do a PubMed or Medline search before you accepted this as fact?

The knee pain sounds like you may have osteoarthritis. Are you overweight?
  • stepgonz
    stepgonz Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Yes I have had a very hard time finding a good running shoe. It seems I can never find one with enough cushion.
  • IntoTheSky
    IntoTheSky Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I have an arch, but, I overpronate SO badly, that it dissapears when I stand. I went to a podiatrist and had a pair of custom orthotics made (your insurance may cover it). They correct the foot, and it no longer rolls, throwing my joints out of allignment. I used to have pain in my hips, knees and ankles every time I ran. Now, it is just sore legs - like it should be! Good luck!
  • TxHamJello
    Options
    In the area where I liv, some of the running stores offer free "good form running clinics". Check them out in your area and see if they offer. There are many things related to form that can cause or correct pain to joints. You can also try decreasing your running distance and add intervals of walking. But, I agree with BrettPGH, if the knee pain persists - see your doctor. Sounds like you may have a number of contributing factors that form, distance etc may not relieve. Good luck.
  • stepgonz
    Options
    http://nwhn.org/depo-provera-and-bone-mineral-density
    Wow all my doctors say depo reduces bone mineral. They have know that since back in 2004. I refuse to change becuase I lose weight on depo but gain on bc pills. Im 5 7 and 170 pounds but even when i was 140 pounds I still had problems with my knees so I dont think my weight is a factor.
  • curvynblonde
    curvynblonde Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I was on depo for 4 years until my doctor took me off due to the finding that it contributes to osteoporosis. The longest they will give depo now here is for 1 year max.
  • zaxaz
    zaxaz Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I had a very similar situation to you.

First, if you are flat footed then go to see a foot doctor (podiatrist) and see if your foot problem can be corrected if you are fitted with orthotics. I did this and got orthotics that fit my running shoes.

(You should ask your family doctor or pharmacist about that medication next time you see them. Maybe there is an alternative that doesn't have so many side effects or maybe you can take some supplements to counteract the negative side effects.)

Second, let your knees heal and try to lose weight. Extra weight really increases the impact on the knee joint while running. I started using the exercise bike first and then started doing weights. I ended up losing about sixty pounds before I started running again. Yes, it took me a year to do that so it doesn't happen over night.

I haven't had any knee pain since I started running again. The extra benefit is that the fitness from biking etc giave me a good start for running, fitness wise.
  • stepgonz
    Options
    Bone loss and depo go hand in hand, its ALL over internet just do a search. Its the one thing i do not like about it
  • RunForChai
    RunForChai Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Lots of good shoe advice here!

*Only run on soft surfaces [hard-packed trails, treadmill, grass, asphalt roads---but never, ever on cement sidewalks or paths]
    * Water running in a deep pool using a running vest until the knees heal
    *Ice those knees.

Good luck!
  • crobl
    crobl Posts: 380
    Options
    okay - so I'm going to take a different point of view on this one, just for fun. Under the assumption that you follow all these wonderful people's thoughts and get correctly fitting shoes, and all that jazz and you are still having pain -

- is it too much too soon? Try starting out with intervals - walk for 30 seconds and jog for 30 seconds for a designated period of time. If that is ok - then gradually shorten the walking and lengthen the running to build up your body's tolerance for jogging.

OR

- what surface are you jogging on? Hard pavement with level changes (ie. curbs that you have to step down more hardly on?) In my own runs, I can tell when I need a break from literally 'pounding' the pavement (especially when I run a lot in my Vibrams or Ultras) and I'll go jog on the grass. Because the surface is softer, there is less pounding on your joints. Maybe try to find a park/field to run on the grass or a composite or other softer surfaced track?
  • crobl
    crobl Posts: 380
    Options

*Only run on soft surfaces [hard-packed trails, treadmill, grass, asphalt roads---but never, ever on cement sidewalks or paths]
    *Ice those knees.

Good luck!

asphalt - since when is that a soft surface?
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    1. If you seriously think that Depo is causing bone loss then see a doctor immediately! It is not enough to think it might be happening or that you have "bad bones" - you need a diagnosis. There has been evidence of bone density loss due to depo, but not for everyone. Bone density tests are very straight forward and your doctor will be able to advise.

2. If there is no bone loss but you are concerned then you may want to have a rethink about Depo. There are plenty of other contraceptives available that might be more suitable for you now (lots of new choices in the last 15 years). If you have been having it due to period problems then a back-to-back or mini pill (such as Cerazette) can stop them, which might be a choice for you. Again, speak to your healthcare provider.

3. If you are flat footed you need to check a few things:

* Are your running shoes right for you? Go to a running store and get a gait analysis
    * Still worried? See a physio. It could be a host of things causing the pain from inflammation to the kneecap not tracking correctly. So get an expert opinion
    * Another option is to see a podiatrist - they will be able to advise on running shoes and whether orthotics will help
    * Knee supports can help, particuarly if the kneecap is not tracking well (start off with a simple Mueller Jumper's Strap and see how you get on - you can buy them on Amazon)
    * Strengthen the muscles around your knees with simple squats. This is a good starting point: http://www.livestrong.com/article/152976-knee-exercises-for-osteoporosis/

I have osteoporosis in my knees due to years of wear and tear. My feet overpronate which forces the kneecaps out of place. As such the cartiledge underneath has worn away and the joints are damaged. After years on prescription anti-inflammatories I got fed up with doctors so went to a physio for a proper diagnosis. She gave me exercises to do and referred me to a podiatrist.

One visit to the physio plus three to the podiatrist cost £120 (including custom orthotics). It was the best money I've ever spent and I took up running last year.

Even better, the running has helped strengthen my knees further, which I hope means I will have better health outcomes for them in the future.

All the best!
  • stepgonz
    Options
    When i was smaller I used to run 5 miles a day, now i can only do about 2 miles. I run at a park on a sidewalk.
  • SRH7
    Options
    okay - so I'm going to take a different point of view on this one, just for fun. Under the assumption that you follow all these wonderful people's thoughts and get correctly fitting shoes, and all that jazz and you are still having pain -

- is it too much too soon? Try starting out with intervals - walk for 30 seconds and jog for 30 seconds for a designated period of time. If that is ok - then gradually shorten the walking and lengthen the running to build up your body's tolerance for jogging.

OR

- what surface are you jogging on? Hard pavement with level changes (ie. curbs that you have to step down more hardly on?) In my own runs, I can tell when I need a break from literally 'pounding' the pavement (especially when I run a lot in my Vibrams or Ultras) and I'll go jog on the grass. Because the surface is softer, there is less pounding on your joints. Maybe try to find a park/field to run on the grass or a composite or other softer surfaced track?

And this too!
  • KristysLosing
    Options
    I have been on Depo for 18 years (with a short break to have my son). My bones are fine.

Furthermore, I have not heard any reports of bone loss with Depo. Did you do a PubMed or Medline search before you accepted this as fact?

The knee pain sounds like you may have osteoarthritis. Are you overweight?

My doctor told me this when I started Depo a few years back. They said after 2 yrs they would do a bone density test, but I didn't stay on it that long. My best friend has been on Depo for 15+ years and her bones are in rough shape. Her doctor finally took her off. You may be one of the lucky ones. :smile:
    OP: I would talk to your doctor about getting off Depo if it has done this to you. You have a long life left to live and you need those bones!!
  • jamers3111
    jamers3111 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I have flat feet too. It makes it a bit harder, but we can still run.

You'll want to make sure you're wearing the right running shoes. Find a good runner's store and they'll check out your running form and find you a good pair. You may need extra cushioning and support.

Other than that you may want a doc to look you over if it persists.

Good luck!

This ^^^ :)
  • SRH7
    Options

*Ice those knees.

Good luck!

asphalt - since when is that a soft surface?

Asphalt (400-600 psi) is "softer" than concrete (typically 3000 psi) meaning that it takes compression and then expands back to its original state. Not as soft as grass, admittedly, but I always hit the road rather than the pavement when running as it's easier on the knees.
  • KristysLosing
    Options
    http://nwhn.org/depo-provera-and-bone-mineral-density
    Wow all my doctors say depo reduces bone mineral. They have know that since back in 2004. I refuse to change becuase I lose weight on depo but gain on bc pills. Im 5 7 and 170 pounds but even when i was 140 pounds I still had problems with my knees so I dont think my weight is a factor.

IMHO...totally the wrong reason to stay on Depo. Maybe consider an IUD? What's the point of being of an ideal weight and healthy if you are too frail to do anything? :cry: