Tofu??

Cassea7
Cassea7 Posts: 181 Member
Hi,

I need to eat more protein. Can anyone tell me easy ways to prepare medium firm tofu. Greatly appreciated.
I have some here. Thanks:smile:

Replies

• SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Slice it up, marinate in soy sauce, lemon juice and chilli, then stir fry with vegetables and noodles.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    If you like curry make a tofu scramble. Tumeric, red chilli peppers, cayenne, a pinch of cumin, stirfry with garlic ginger and olive oil. It looks like scrambled eggs. It's good in a wrap with veggies:)

Or: wrap in towel to get extra moisture out (with something heavy on too) for about an hour. Thinly slice and fry. Then add a mixture of soy sauce and honey, garlic, ginger(optional) and stir fry with brocolli, onions or other veggies. Serve over couscous, quinoa or rice:)

Or just bled it with eggs to mak a quiche or frittata
  • Cassea7
    Thanks...anyways for breakfast?
  • Cassea7
    Ok I will blend it with eggs for breakfast!.:happy:
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    Its good in an omelette with Taco meat
  • imchicbad
    imchicbad Posts: 1,650 Member
    I'm eating tofu right now for breakfast lol.

2 cups shredded red cabbage
    2 cups raw spinach
    6oz tofu
    2oz chopped beef chunks
    3 teaspoons chunked veggie flake ( seasoning)
    2oz chopped raw mushrooms

Sauté in a pan with water..... Add tofu last. Very yummy and low carb. Very clean eating.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Tofu fries, cut up about half an inch to an inch thick, marinate in sauce of your choosing, bread with panko bread crumbs. Baked at 400 for 15 min on each side. Dip on siracha or hot mustard.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    You could make scrambled tofu with onion powder , garlic powder, tumeric, red onion, green bell pepper, salt and pepper, olive oil, parsley. With toast
  • dimsumkitty
    dimsumkitty Posts: 120 Member
    Braising it is really easy! Just simmer it in soy sauce and water/stock with some chillies/spices/minced meat/chopped mushrooms, and it's really tasty.
  • daniellealys
    daniellealys Posts: 301 Member
    when i was vegan my favorite way to cook tofu was drizzle oil and cook in oven. I would cut it into small cubes. Thats it! It was crispy and tasted like I was eating somethign bad....but I wasnt :D
  • Cassea7
    You are ALL AWESOME!!!!:bigsmile: love all the recipes! will try them all!
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    when i was vegan my favorite way to cook tofu was drizzle oil and cook in oven. I would cut it into small cubes. Thats it! It was crispy and tasted like I was eating somethign bad....but I wasnt :D

I like it baked in the oven, too. It adds a nice crispy texture. I cube it before baking so that each cube is crispier. Left-over cubes can be added to salads as well. They pick up the dressing nicely and taste good.
  • live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    This is the best recipe EVER. http://goodveg.squidoo.com/recipes/pepperoni-is-not-a-vegetable/bbq-tofu-with-pi neapple-coconut-rice

But works best with extra firm tofu (sprouted is best!) Make sure to freeze tofu, then thaw before cooking. It gives it a firmer texture.
  • daphne_m
    daphne_m Posts: 84
    Make tofu fajitas or tofu tacos. I used to do that a lot. For fajitas just cut tofu into long strips and for tacos, mash the tofu up until it's the consistency of minced beef.
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    No. It's nasty.
  • bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Vegan cupcake lasagna

Wonton wrappers
    1 tbsp Olive oil
    ½ Chopped onion
    1tbsp Minced garlic 1tbsp
    2 (14.5 ounce) Stewed tomatoes cans
    A little under ½ cup 2Tomato paste
    ¼ cup Chopped fresh basil
    ¼ cup Chopped parsley
    ½ tsp Salt
    ½ tsp Ground pepper
    Firm/med firm tofu 1lb
    Frozen chopped spinach (thawed and drained)
    (Basil for Danish optional)

Make the sauce: In a large, heavy saucepan, over medium heat, heat the olive oil. Place the onions in the saucepan and saute them until they are soft, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic; cook 5 minutes more.
    Place the tomatoes, tomato paste, basil and parsley in the saucepan. Stir well, turn the heat to low and let the sauce simmer covered for 1 hour. Add the salt and pepper.

Place the tofu blocks in a large bowl. Add the garlic, basil and parsley. Add the salt and pepper, and mash all the ingredients together by squeezing pieces of tofu through your fingers. Mix well.

Now to put to gether in cupcake pans arrange:
    little sauce first (optional I did it though)
    Wonton wrapper
    Tofu mix
    Spinach
    Sauce
    (repeat 2nd time for each section if possible)

I did these for my brother for chrismas since he is vegan and he loved them! My fist time ever using tofu in a recipe
  • Cassea7
    Vegan cupcake lasagna

Wonton wrappers
    1 tbsp Olive oil
    ½ Chopped onion
    1tbsp Minced garlic 1tbsp
    2 (14.5 ounce) Stewed tomatoes cans
    A little under ½ cup 2Tomato paste
    ¼ cup Chopped fresh basil
    ¼ cup Chopped parsley
    ½ tsp Salt
    ½ tsp Ground pepper
    Firm/med firm tofu 1lb
    Frozen chopped spinach (thawed and drained)
    (Basil for Danish optional)

Make the sauce: In a large, heavy saucepan, over medium heat, heat the olive oil. Place the onions in the saucepan and saute them until they are soft, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic; cook 5 minutes more.
    Place the tomatoes, tomato paste, basil and parsley in the saucepan. Stir well, turn the heat to low and let the sauce simmer covered for 1 hour. Add the salt and pepper.

Place the tofu blocks in a large bowl. Add the garlic, basil and parsley. Add the salt and pepper, and mash all the ingredients together by squeezing pieces of tofu through your fingers. Mix well.

Now to put to gether in cupcake pans arrange:
    little sauce first (optional I did it though)
    Wonton wrapper
    Tofu mix
    Spinach
    Sauce
    (repeat 2nd time for each section if possible)

I did these for my brother for chrismas since he is vegan and he loved them! My fist time ever using tofu in a recipe
    :happy: Thanks so much!
  • elizabethis
    elizabethis Posts: 155 Member
    bump ---- always on the lookout for new vegetarian recipes. Thanks!
  • dacadoo
    dacadoo Posts: 32
    Roasted in oven. Marinate in low sodium soy, little olive oil and whatever spices you like. Cut into cubes and bake til crispy. Awesome on salads.
  • kiekie
    kiekie Posts: 289 Member
    Ooh, sounds yummy.

Bump!