Some lifting questions...

Options
So - this is probably a dumb question...but:

When i'm bench pressing weights - and put 15 pounds on each side of the bar - am I lifting 15 pounds - or 30?

Also - regarding do squats: The bar just really HURTS the back of my neck/spine - even though I use the wrap-around bar protector before putting it behind my head. It feels like there is a bruise there. Is there anything I can do about that - or does that particular spot on my body just need to toughen up?

Thanks!

Replies

• TX_Thundercat
    TX_Thundercat Posts: 2,437 Member
    Options
    You are bench pressing 30 lbs plus whatever the bar weighs. Usually, 45 lbs, so you're actually lifting 75 lbs!

As far as squats, try different positioning, or maybe even front squats. Other than that, you gotta tough it out.

Hope this helps!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    You are bench pressing 30 lbs plus whatever the bar weighs. Usually, 45 lbs, so you're actually lifting 75 lbs!

As far as squats, try different positioning, or maybe even front squats. Other than that, you gotta tough it out.

Hope this helps!

Agreed.
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    I've seen a piece of plastic that some people use while doing squats at my gym that covers the neck and has an indentation for the bar to rest in. Don't know what it's called but it looks like it will alleviate some of your neck pain while transferring most of the weight over a greater area. You may want to look into this if you're having neck pain.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I use a towel when I squat. I wrap it around the bar, so it's what rests on my "neck?. And, I don't really have the bar on my new. I roll it down a bit, once I have the weight up so that it's more resting on my shourlders.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    First,

Throw away the bar pad. Seriously.

Second:

Look up Mark Rippetoe's squat bar position video on youtube.

I used to have trouble with 60lbs. HURT SO BAD. But using the right position, I've put up to 250lbs on there and it's like a butterfly gently landing on my traps.
  • TX_Thundercat
    TX_Thundercat Posts: 2,437 Member
    Options
    First,

Throw away the bar pad. Seriously.

Second:

Look up Mark Rippetoe's squat bar position video on youtube.

I used to have trouble with 60lbs. HURT SO BAD. But using the right position, I've put up to 250lbs on there and it's like a butterfly gently landing on my traps.

Rippetoe knows his *kitten*. I went from about 135 to 335 thanks to him.