Replies

• Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    This is way off topic, but i think you will get more results from

SQUATS!!!!!!

with a barbell

try
    http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/The_Starting_Strength_Novice/Beginner_Programs

or
    http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/

you will not be sorry.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Drinking juice isn't gonna do much for your fitness, unfortunately. You need to actually perform exercise to see fitness gains.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    This is way off topic, but i think you will get more results from

SQUATS!!!!!!

with a barbell

try
    http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/The_Starting_Strength_Novice/Beginner_Programs

or
    http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/

you will not be sorry.

Now that's a good idea! Do that, OP. Forget your wussy Breville juicer that won't even juice greens....
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I have an omega 8004/8006 model and couldn't be happier. I don't feel like juicing is a weight loss tool.. if you do a juice fast, weight loss is just a side effect. I did my fast to try to reduce the inflammation I was having causing excruciating joint pain. I'm not knocking juice fasting if that is your plan.. I did a 30 day fast in August and it was AWESOME.. it is just not a weight loss miracle.. It can be a gateway into a healthier lifestyle however. Juicing really helped me break my reliance on wheat and also was the first indicator to me that I actually had a wheat intolerence (on my juice fast my joint pain subsided, but when I returned to a diet of whole grains, meats, veggies and some juicing the pain came back)

NOW here's the kicker... All the introspective thinking I did during the fast.. and proving to myself that I did indeed have discipline, made me take a long hard look at myself and my weight issues... ultimately I decided to undergo weightloss surgery. I'm not advocating WLS for others, I'm just saying that the juice fast was really beneficial for me physically and mentally and it really helped set me on the path to better health.
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Well If you are eating really healthy, like only the good stuff, then won't that help your body lose weight and fat and whatever else. I am also having a deficiency in calories and working out but Im replacing the bad food I usually eat with the "good stuff". It just seems like that will help big time. Am i right?

No. Calories in vs. calories out. What those calories are do not matter. Would you feel better eating healthier? Probably.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    There was a thread here a while back asking for results from anyone who had lost 10+ lbs weight and kept it off with juicing, and there were no respondents who had done so. Just saying. Supplement your juice with whole foods and hit the heavy weights for real results.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I have a cup (or 2) of coffee in the morning and the rest is strickly juicing. Here's a few that you can try out. Let me know how it worked out for you. Happy Juicing! :smile:

Fresh Start Juice:
    2 med apples
    3 med carrots
    4 stalk of celery.

Beginner Green Juice:
    Apples - 3 medium (3" dia)
    Celery - 4 stalk, large (11"-12" long)
    Ginger - 0.25 thumb (1" dia)
    Lemon (with rind) - 1/2 fruit (2-1/8" dia)
    Orange (peeled) - 1 large (3-1/16" dia)
    Spinach - 5 cup

Mean Green Juice:
    Apples (granny smith) - 2 medium (3" dia)
    Celery - 4 stalk, large (11"-12" long)
    Cucumber - 1 cucumber (8-1/4")
    Ginger - 1 thumb (1" dia)
    Kale - 6 leaf (8-12")
    Lemon - 1/2 fruit (2-3/8" dia)

Orange Broccoli (My Favorite)
    Apples - 2 medium (3" dia)
    Broccoli - 1 stalk
    Carrots - 4 medium

Full of Kale-Cium
    Apple - 1 medium (3" dia)
    Carrots - 3 medium
    Cilantro - 1 handful
    Collard Greens - 1 cup, chopped
    Kale - 4 leaf (8-12")
    Pepper (sweet red) - 1 medium (approx 2-3/4" long, 2-1/2 dia.)

Asparagus Delight:
    Asparagus - 4 spear, medium (5-1/4" to 7" long)
    Carrots - 3 large (7-1/4" to 8-/1/2" long)
    Celery - 2 stalk, large (11"-12" long)

These sound so yummy! Do they make an 8oz glass of juice?

When you track this do you track them as the fresh raw veggie? Or some other way..

I miss juice.. and I'm looking for a good inexpensive juicer to add to my kitchen. i will use it to supplement my diet, not to replace meals.
  • Hanjamlan
    Hanjamlan Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    All good responses. Thanks guys!
  • Flintbeats810
    Flintbeats810 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I didn't think Juicing was intended as a SOLO weight loss tool. I think its fine when done in conjunction with other forms of working out and healthy eating. My wife juices and I do it when i can (not as a fast;mostly asa part of breakfast.. I just look at it as a way to get more nurtients and vitamins that i might not have eaten other wise.
  • Kanohane
    Kanohane Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I just got the Nutri Bullet and I LOVE it...so easy to use and clean. I just got it mainly to make some fresh juices...so no results yet.
    I got the cheapest juicer available at $29.99...it works great but then I saw the nutribullet....so I went and got a cheap smoothie blender...the products taste so much better, no wasted fruit, and easy cleanup! I'm new to juice fasting but I diet soda/water fasted for 4 days and lost 8.4lbs, I felt really refreshed......also I found this morning that cantaloupe/pineapple/watermelon juice is pretty awful.......
  • Flintbeats810
    Flintbeats810 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I just got the Nutri Bullet and I LOVE it...so easy to use and clean. I just got it mainly to make some fresh juices...so no results yet.
    I got the cheapest juicer available at $29.99...it works great but then I saw the nutribullet....so I went and got a cheap smoothie blender...the products taste so much better, no wasted fruit, and easy cleanup! I'm new to juice fasting but I diet soda/water fasted for 4 days and lost 8.4lbs, I felt really refreshed......also I found this morning that cantaloupe/pineapple/watermelon juice is pretty awful.......

If i may ask where did you hear about those juices being awful?
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    thanks for those great ideas! i'll have to try them out! also, your juicer obviously does the spinach with no problem and doesn't spit anything out? Because My breville spit ALL my spinach out and didn't juice a thing.

You really need a masticating juicer to juice leafy greens

E.g. http://www.ukjuicers.com/matstone-6-in-1-juicer-ivory
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    sounds delicious, although extremely expensive unless I could actually grow enough of my own produce.
    great for you if that works for you, but I need to chew my food. any kind of liquid food isn't going to work for me.
    plus I'm always trying to eat as much as possible for the least calories, no fake calories.
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    Drinking juice isn't gonna do much for your fitness, unfortunately. You need to actually perform exercise to see fitness gains.
    What if she juices her fruits and vegetables with her bare hands instead of an electric device? Try squeezing a pineapple or smashing carrots with your fists - that'd probably be a good workout. See, juicing CAN make you more fit.
  • hemlock2010
    hemlock2010 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Bump for recipes--thanks!
  • Overcomer7737
    Overcomer7737 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    check out the Joe Cross website....he juiced for 60 days and made a documentary..Fat, Sick and nearly Dead...he has recipes, accountability...all sorts of stuff on his site...he calls juicing a Reboot for your body....good luck
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    I didn't think Juicing was intended as a SOLO weight loss tool. I think its fine when done in conjunction with other forms of working out and healthy eating. My wife juices and I do it when i can (not as a fast;mostly asa part of breakfast.. I just look at it as a way to get more nurtients and vitamins that i might not have eaten other wise.

^^^ This

add it in to your diet, great - but on its own, no.

You'd be very short on protein in your diet meaning you'd lose a lot of muscle with the fat. Not a great way to go.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options

^^^ This

You'd be very short on protein in your diet meaning you'd lose a lot of muscle with the fat. Not a great way to go.

You won't be very short on protein if you include a lot of Kale and other dark leafy greens in your juices.. My juices comprised almost all vegetables and focused on dark leafy greens and I got plenty of protein from juicing.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

^^^ This

You won't be very short on protein if you include a lot of Kale and other dark leafy greens in your juices.. My juices comprised almost all vegetables and focused on dark leafy greens and I got plenty of protein from juicing.

100g of kale contains just 3g of protein. Since my protein goal is 120g I would have to eat a TON of kale (4kg to be precise) or other leafy greens to get enough. (I'm on 30% if you were wondering).

So yes - you will be short on protein. You would also lose all of the insoluble fibre and goodness that goes along with it.

So as I posted - fine as part of your diet but it shouldn't be the only thing you have.
  • meidie1980
    meidie1980 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Philips Avance HR1871 ! you'll get so much more juice out of your fruit/veggies than most of the cheaper priced juiicers!

and as impotant it's sooooooo easy and quick to clean♥