Insanity and Weight GAIN

Options
I am in major need of help, encouragement, anything! Since I started Insanity three weeks ago, I have been gaining weight. I am eating at a calorie deficit that should equal at least one pound a week of loss. Instead, I have gained two pounds. In the last week, my calories burned were 19433 and my calories eaten were 14146. I realize that even with all the tools we have available to us, everything is pretty much a best estimate, but since my deficit was over 5,200, I would think that at least a pound should be gone, not more weight gained. All the tools I use (Fitbit, Insanity nutrition guide, and the ever contraversial In Place of Road Map thread) indicate that I should be eating between 1900 and 2200 calories which is what I am doing. The one thing that might be going on is an initial gain weight when setting a higher calorie goal. I keep waiting to have a nice drop on the scale, but the opposite is happening and I feel sooo discouraged this morning. :(

Replies

• jaynita2
    jaynita2 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Hi there...don't be discouraged. During my first 3 weeks of Insanity, I gained 3 lbs. Didn't know what was going on other than my muscles and body were adjusting to this "insane" workout. I started to quit, but I wanted to see it through. I'm now in week 5, which is recovery week. I've lost those 3 lbs. and have kicked 6 more to the curb along with them. Some people have reported 20 lbs. loss with this program, but you have to consider that everyone's body is different and some of these results were based on those who weren't exercising at all prior to. Stick with it and give it some time. You'll start to see your body change and the weight loss will follow. I tell everyone that if my husband did not put the dvd in and hit play every day, I wouldn't do it. Now that I'm halfway through and can see results, I'm glad that I'm sticking with it. :happy:
  • amariecruz89
    amariecruz89 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I am in major need of help, encouragement, anything! Since I started Insanity three weeks ago, I have been gaining weight. I am eating at a calorie deficit that should equal at least one pound a week of loss. Instead, I have gained two pounds. In the last week, my calories burned were 19433 and my calories eaten were 14146. I realize that even with all the tools we have available to us, everything is pretty much a best estimate, but since my deficit was over 5,200, I would think that at least a pound should be gone, not more weight gained. All the tools I use (Fitbit, Insanity nutrition guide, and the ever contraversial In Place of Road Map thread) indicate that I should be eating between 1900 and 2200 calories which is what I am doing. The one thing that might be going on is an initial gain weight when setting a higher calorie goal. I keep waiting to have a nice drop on the scale, but the opposite is happening and I feel sooo discouraged this morning. :(

I am 5'3" and 203lbs. I am on week 5 of Insanity right now. I haven't seem much weight loss yet, a lot of people have told me transformation happens in the second month, some said even the last two weeks. Its a process, I have my discouraging moments too. I may have broke down once during spring break out of frustration. So I'm always reminding myself to be patient and just be thankful with how much healthier I am now compared to when I first started. My body will transform in time as longs as I eat healthy, workout, and drink lots of water (my bad habit ha) Keep in mind that you're also building muscle!

I have had to adjust my caloric intake because at first it was too low and I was getting really weak, so I'm trying to find that balance right now. I was worried that with upping my intake it would cause me to gain but its only helped because my body needs the food to help me keep going.

Like jaynita2 said, everyone's body is different, it will take time to learn what yours needs. Don't get too frustrated. I'm really proud of you for pushing through the first three weeks! That is a great accomplishment. Monitor how hard you're working out each day and what you are eating/drinking. It will probably need to be adjusted until you find what works best for you. Be sure to take your rest days and drink lots of water too :)
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    I'm not all that familiar with the Insanity program... does it come with a meal plan or something? You might need to take a better look at WHAT you are eating, not just the calories.

A good balance of good carbs, proteins and of course fruits/veggies and lots of water are all just as important as calorie count and workout.

Me, I'm on about my 3rd round of MFP. I lose it, then gain it back, then lose it again.

Good luck!
  • kristinrayerootes
    kristinrayerootes Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Insanity comes with a nutrition guide that helps you calculate how many calories you should be eating and says you should eat 5 times a day in blocks that would look something like 400 cals, 300 cals, 400, 300, 400 and then bringing in additional snacks if you need to in order to get to your calorie goal. It gives you ideas and recipes for things you could eat.

I have really been focusing on trying to eat the good carbs and try to get as much protien in as possible. That doesn't mean I don't ever eat things I shouldn't, but I do it in moderation. I LOVE Reese's peanut butter eggs, so yes, I have a had two mini ones this week. That shouldn't kill my weight loss though.

Thank you to everybody who has offered up similar experiences with success at the end. Any other input is welcome and appreciated!