What are your favorite vegan recipes??

Options
Looking for vegan recipes that are nutritious and lower calorie. Particularly lunch and dinner meals. I try to avoid the faux meats and cheeses but I do really love the plant-based milks.
My husband and I made the switch to vegan about 8 months ago and while I try to make something new regularly, we are getting bored with some of our trusty recipes. So what is your favorite vegan meal? Simple and complex recipes or links are welcome. Thanks!

Replies

• bubbaduts
    bubbaduts Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    http://www.thedailygreen.com/healthy-eating/recipes/vegan-split-pea-soup

my favorite split pea soup

http://foodsrecipes.org/110/

asian noodles with spicy peanut sauce i love!

I also love making my version of food from a veg place in boston they make these wonderful bowls that are to die for!
    Quinoa, steamed kale, avocado, soy curls, miso-tahini sauce and nutritional yeast.
    i do it with brown rice steamed beats and sometimes add hummus to it!
  • dimsumkitty
    dimsumkitty Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I know most of these are not exactly low calorie, but I ADORE Kenji from Serious Eats, and he does a vegan month every year and writes up lots of delicious recipes.

Link to all of the recipes: http://www.seriouseats.com/tags/The Vegan Experience
    His Mapo Tofu looks properly amazing! http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/02/vegan-food-mapo-tofu-vegetarian-sichuan.html

Edit: spelling and grammar
  • naschulze
    naschulze Posts: 98
    Options
    bump
  • tashiaberman
    tashiaberman Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Roasted Butternut Squash Cubes:

Peel and core a butternut squash and cut into 1-2" cubes.
    Put into a large storage bag and drizzle with olive oil, then give it all a good shake to coat the pieces.
    Sprinkle lots of cinnamon, a little salt and pepper and a couple teaspoons of brown sugar into bag and shake again to coat.
    Pour onto a greased cooking sheet or piece of parchment paper.
    Bake at 350 degree, pre-heated oven, for 20 minutes.
    Delicious.
  • nicoleashley_24
    nicoleashley_24 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I love all of Isa Chandra Moskowitz's books but I especially love Appetite for Reduction for healthier recipes. The recipes are really easy to adapt, swap ingredients, etc.

She runs Post Punk Kitchen, too, so there's tons of vegan recipes there, including some from the books.

http://www.theppk.com/

www.amazon.com/Appetite-Reduction-Filling-Low-Fat-Recipes/dp/1600940498
  • ladyrider55
    ladyrider55 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I make an all veggie (use fresh, raw veggies) saute:

1 T. olive oil
    fresh minced garlic
    onions
    carrots
    zuchinni
    mushrooms
    green cabbage

Saute till tender......YUM! sometimes I put this over brown rice or use no yolk noodles. Makes a great meal :happy:
  • mrsvolkman101
    Options
    These are some of our favorites:
    -Roasted sweet potatoes & brussels sprouts (i also do this in the micro for lunch) with pepper, onion & garlic powder & coconut oil.
    -Homemade basil pesto (with kale added in to bulk it up) mixed in with a ww pasta or quinoa/ cous cous, with kale added in at the last minute. 1 c basil (packed); 1/3 c coconut oil; 4 cloves of garlic; 3/4 c nuts of choice; 1 c kale/ spinach; 2tb nutritional yeast; dash of salt.
    -Soba noodles with whatever veggies we have, with an asian peanut sauce: 1/2 c peanut butter; 2 tb soy sauce; 1 tb sesame oil; 2 tb rice vinegar; red pepper flakes; 1-3 tb water to thin.
    -these rolls- super easy & delicious. http://vegweb.com/recipes/grannys-hurry-dinner-rolls
  • AdryHezekiah
    AdryHezekiah Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I love my tweaked version (no nuts, no oil, no sweetener) of the Wheatberry & Kale Salad from downtoearth.org, it is like tabbouleh in flavor but has more veggies than grain. Great alone or served with a cup of carrot or squash soup on the side for a filling dinner. -

SALAD

1 1/2 Cups wheat berries/farro (I use 1 bag of the Trader Joes quick farro) cooked, strained and cooled
    4 Cups shredded or chopped raw kale
    1 Cup chopped or thin sliced raw red, yellow or orange bell pepper or mini sweet peppers
    1 Cup chopped or thin sliced cucumber
    1/4 Cup raw chopped or thin sliced red onion
    1/2 Cup chopped parsley
    1/4 to 1/2 Cup (to taste) chopped cilantro
    1 15oz can of garbanzo beans, drained
    1/2 Cup pearl or grape tomatoes, halved

DRESSING

1/4 Cup Braggs Apple cider vinegar
    2 Tbl Bragg's liquid aminos
    Juice from 1 lemon
    2 cloves fresh crushed garlic
    1/4 Cup minced/finely diced red onion
    A pinch of cayenne pepper

Toss all the salad ingredients together in a big bowl. Mix the dressing ingredients together in a smaller bowl, pour dressing on the salad and mix/toss it well. Serve as is or refrigerate a few hours to let the flavors soak in and to have the vinegar make the kale a little easier to eat. If this is too much kale for your liking, do 2 Cups kale and 2 Cups mixed baby greens BUT eat that one right away so the greens don't wilt and get soggy.

Serves 6-8
  • jonna1966
    Options
    Chocolatecoveredkatie.com has THE BEST vegan recipes, both dessert recipes and main dish. I'm not vegan, but I absolutely love her site !!
  • RemDogzMa
    RemDogzMa Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I second ChocolateCoveredKatie.com for fantastic vegan sweet treats.....but I made up a vegan mexican dish that I love.

1 can organic corn
    1 can organic black beans (rinsed)
    1 jar organic salsa - medium
    1/8 cup chopped organic red onion

It's quite versatile for everyone in my family - vegan and not.

I put it over raw chopped kale or spinach as a salad. My husband adds chicken and sour cream to his, and my son wraps it in a flour tortilla and adds shredded iceberg lettuce and plain greek yogurt (in place of sour cream).
  • persilcolours
    persilcolours Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • fuzzieme
    fuzzieme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    bump
  • harleygroomer
    harleygroomer Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    BRUSSEL SPROUTS!!!!!!!!! WHO KNEW !!!!!!!!! I wouldn't try them for YEARS and then we went to a new restaurant that "roast" them with olive oil and "WEBERS" vegie grill spice and the are WONDERFUL. My daughter says they taste like potatoes.
    ROASTED BRUSSEL SPROUTS: heat oven to 350, thaw sprouts in micro if you have too. cut them in half or quarter the large ones. I use the spray olive oil and I spray the cookie sheet and the spray the tops of the sprouts and then sprinkle the veggie grill spice on top. Grill in the oven, turning every 15 mins for a good 30 to 45 minutes, until they are all toasted and soft. Serve immediately. I use the leftovers the next day in a quiche or omelet
  • elana87
    elana87 Posts: 5
    Options
    There are soooooo many good vegan/vegetarian blogs out there with TONS of recipes and ideas. Here are some of my faves:

theppk.com
    sundaymorningbananapancakes.blogspot.com
    theinventivevegetarian.blogspot.com
    ohsheglows.com
    thefigtreeblog.com
    thegardengrazer.com
    veganseatpencilshavings.com
  • fuzzieme
    Options
    Bolognese; I made a big pot, have it was spaghetti the first day, lasagne the next then add cumin and kidney beans and spices and stuff the last day for chili or enchiladas!

Saute loads of white onions for a few minutes, add garlic, loads of fairly finely chopped mushrooms and finely chopped celery. Loads of it all! Loads! Ha, then grate a few carrots and a couple of courgettes and stir that into the pot. Add dry herbs - about a tbsp of basil and oregano, and a small pinch of thyme and rosemary. stir it up and add a couple of tins of tomatoes and/or some passata, some tomato puree and some vegetable stock. And lots of fresh black pepper. I add a little chili and some smoked paprika to mine too. The grated veg goes like mince, but in addition to that I sometimes use a handful of soy mince, I don't dig mock meat but the mince doesn't really bother me for some reason. Also I always add a handful of oatmeal - it thickens the sauce and give good texture. You can thicken it if you need to with potato starch or arrowroot. Simmer about a half hour and it's lovely, if you have some, fresh parsley and basil at the end is terrific.

For the lasagne, I add layers of chopped peppers and sliced courgettes with every layer of sauce and on the top I make a white sauce - make a roux with a tbsp of dairy free spread, tbsp of plain flour, melt the fat, add the flour, cook until absorbed, add plant milk, about a cup, you want it quite thick. Let this infuse with a bay leaf, add a few tbsp of nutritional yeast and add salt and pepper to taste. I put this on the top of my lasagne and sprinkle with a little more of the yeast. I also put a layer of sliced cherry tomatoes and spring onions over the top too :)

And for the chili, if you still have leftovers, *kitten* cumin, smoked paprika, coriander powder, onion powder, fresh bell peppers, chili powder and extra black pepper
  • fuzzieme
    Options
    You can add me if you want OP, I've been vegan a few years now and I'm pretty passionate about cooking :wink: