Is it a bad idea to work out every day?

Options
Is it a bad idea to work out every day or should you let your body "rest" every few days?

Replies

• ceejayjones00
    Options
    The body will push its self only as far as you push it. as long as you have 1 rest day a week you'll be perfectly ok unless you're not able to exercise that much. if you feel you can push yourself push hard for 6 days then go light on the 7th or take the 7th day for rest.
  • mallen404
    mallen404 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    from my experience, every trainer I have had said to not work the same muscle groups two days in a row, they need time to restore themselves.

I do legs one day,. then upper body/arms the next.. and then will split it up with a cardio or a rest day.
  • baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    u can workout everyday. ur body will adapt. but u cannot workout with the same intensity everyday.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    It really depends on what you workouts are, and how intense your workouts are. Rest is important as adaptation happens during the rest times, not the active times. Being active every day is fine. Doing intense workouts every day is not.
  • patsycortez67
    Options
    Thank you everyone!
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Is it a bad idea to work out every day or should you let your body "rest" every few days?

Well - a few things.
    1 - There is no shame in rest and recovery days, they are healthy and beneficial, it does a body good!
    2 - Also it's not necessary to workout everyday for general physical fitness.... although getting a walk in or something light on a 'off' day is good!
    3 - It also depends on what type of workouts you're talking about. If you're exerting yourself to the limit everyday, ...you'll eventually hit a wall. Taking a day off would be very beneficial.
    4 - Listen to your body. If you're a light to intermediate exerciser and feel great getting out there and moving everyday...go for it!
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I work out 6 to 7 days a week.. Mondays are rest day (gym is crowded) but sometimes I go that day anyway.

I mix it up cause i get bored..

Weights approx 5 times a week

Swiming 3-4 times whenever the pool has an open lane

Zumba/kickboxing 3-4 times a week at the gym

Step class on Sundays

Tae-bo/30DS at home whenever i'm bored

Cardio on the machines.. steps/elliptical etc whenever tehy are open and the pool is crowded.

We also sit in the sauna and whirlpol for 10-20 most days.

We go bike riding when it's nice out

and plannign on some hikes once it warms up

and we are going kayaking over the summer too.

I don't think there is too much exercise if you are having fun, enjoying yoruself and your body isn't telling you to rest.
  • aussiesarah
    aussiesarah Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    When you say "work out" do you mean doing weights in the gym, or just exercising?

Personally I find it is fine to do some form of exercise every day as long as you are getting variety. I try to make sure I mix it up in terms of what I am doing (i.e. not doing heavy lifting two days in a row). As lots of others have said, your body will also tell you when you are doing to much so make sure you listen to it and rest if you need to.

In an average week I do something like the following with no adverse results (so far!)

Monday - 45 min free weights and 20-30min row
    Tuesday - Run 5k or swim
    Wednesday - 45 minutes free weights and 10k run
    Thursday - 1 hour yoga
    Friday - 45 min free weights and 20-30min row
    Saturday - 5k race
    Sunday - 12-20k run
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Depends of what a workout is....

I think that for the majority of people: working out everyday is better than doing nothing everyday. Just sayin'...