Starting to look too bulky

Options
I've been steadily working out for 8 months or so, I've lost a lot of weight but gained back in muscle. I still have about 10 pounds of extra fat, and now I'm up about 10 pounds of muscle. Instead of looking lean and fit like I wanted, The extra fat on top of my new muscle makes me look really bulky. Strong, but bulky.
I want the muscle, so I want to continue lifting but do you think I should cut it back and up my cardio? Or just do cardio and light weights for while? Cut weights completely until I lose this weight?
I do about 30-45 mins of cardio every weekday right now.
I appreciate any suggestions.

Replies

• marypatmccue
    marypatmccue Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Hey. I just profile creeped you -- If that's a recent picture of you at 142, I don't see that you look "bulky" girl! I also looked at your diary. Not sure what you're actually eating, because it looks like you only logged yesterday and a little today. But -- if yesterday is true... I'm going to give the unpopular response that, you CANNOT gain muscle eating at that much of a deficit. In order to GAIN muscle, you have to eat at a surplus, and train hard for it. Even people that WANT to gain muscle have a hard time doing it.

If you'd like help, and you want fat loss, I'll help you out. I'm part of the roadmap. I eat between 1600-2000 calories every day. I'm losing steady and feeling great.

Let me know.
  • Mist1981
    Mist1981 Posts: 145
    Options
    I looked at your pictures, and I didn't think you are bulky AT ALL!! Are those recent pictures? I agree that you are not going to bulk up eating 900 calories per day either! Is that your norm?
  • mrscapamerica
    Options
    Hey. I just profile creeped you -- If that's a recent picture of you at 142, I don't see that you look "bulky" girl! I also looked at your diary. Not sure what you're actually eating, because it looks like you only logged yesterday and a little today. But -- if yesterday is true... I'm going to give the unpopular response that, you CANNOT gain muscle eating at that much of a deficit. In order to GAIN muscle, you have to eat at a surplus, and train hard for it. Even people that WANT to gain muscle have a hard time doing it.

If you'd like help, and you want fat loss, I'll help you out. I'm part of the roadmap. I eat between 1600-2000 calories every day. I'm losing steady and feeling great.

Let me know.

I've gained about 5lbs since then, all in my arms and middle. Which isn't a lot, but I don't look as lean as I did there. I'm kind of short, so I feel like any amount of gain makes me look stout.
    I am terrible at logging all of my food, yesterday I stopped logging after lunch. I usually eat around 1700.
    Thanks for the input!
  • mrscapamerica
    Options
    I looked at your pictures, and I didn't think you are bulky AT ALL!! Are those recent pictures? I agree that you are not going to bulk up eating 900 calories per day either! Is that your norm?

no, no, no. Not at all. I eat around 1700 everyday. I just need to get better at logging lol
    I've gained about 5 lbs since that picture and I feel like I look 10lbs heavier!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Not buying it.
  • vals83
    vals83 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Cutting weights is the worst thing you could do. Having muscle will keep your metabolism going. Up your cardio and cut your carbs and up your protein. That'll rid the fat and keep your tone.
  • sarahstrezo
    sarahstrezo Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Yeah...there is no way you are actually putting on new muscle weight. Not possible eating at a deficit. You also don't look bulky in the slightest in the pics on your profile.

Have you figured out your TDEE?

Also...if you aren't logging everything you eat, how do you know what it is you are eating and what amounts??
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Not buying it.
  • toomuchbootyindapants
    toomuchbootyindapants Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    wahhhh so bulky. Puhlease. Show me this "bulk."
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Think of it this way... if you never did exercise, just lived your life, the size of your muscles would be exactly what your body requires to lift your arms and move your legs. They wouldn't grow, they wouldn't shrink.

Right now your muscles are responding the the weight you've been lifting. If you keep lifting and maintain or slightly lower the weight, your muscles will not grow anymore. This is called lifting to maintain, and if you want to keep what you've developed you're going to have to continue lifting, albeit without increasing the weight over time. Don't stop lifting, it's helping with your health and maintaining your strength as well. Those are also very important.
  • marypatmccue
    marypatmccue Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to say... for the record... I don't buy it either. BUT... I ain't gonna be accused of bullyin' today! Yesterday I was mean and heartless apparently. Today, I aim to be helpful.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Yeah...there is no way you are actually putting on new muscle weight. Not possible eating at a deficit. You also don't look bulky in the slightest in the pics on your profile.

Also...if you aren't logging everything you eat, how do you know what it is you are eating and what amounts??

This isn't 100% true, I just cut for 18 lbs over 11 weeks and my arms and back have built up, though very slowly. You can build muscle while dieting, it's just a grind compared to when you're eating excess cal.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    more pics please.

we all doubt you are bulky.

preferably in a bathing suit.

i bet you look great.
  • vals83
    Options
    @the_dizzle LOL! YES!!!! :bigsmile: Bad @ss!
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Define bulky? Based on the pics in your profile, you don't even look athletic let alone bulky. This isn't an insult; I'm just trying to give my perspective. When you say bulky, are you just referring to the size of your body? Usually when you hear people complaining of bulk, they're referring to having a muscular look, which you don't have in your pictures. I dunno, I guess I'm over thinking it but I'm not sure what you're seeing when you look in the mirror because in your pictures you look thin with room to cut your body fat %.
  • Ninguneado73
    Options
    Yesterday I was mean and heartless apparently.

The plot thickens...
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    more pics please.

we all doubt you are bulky.

preferably in a bathing suit.

i bet you look great.

This^^
  • sarahstrezo
    sarahstrezo Posts: 568 Member
    Options

This isn't 100% true, I just cut for 18 lbs over 11 weeks and my arms and back have built up, though very slowly. You can build muscle while dieting, it's just a grind compared to when you're eating excess cal.

Ok...technically you are correct, I guess. My point was...she's claiming she's put on 10lbs of muscles in 8 months of eating 1700 cals. No way.
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    No offense, but I see no bulk.
  • vals83
    Options
    Agreed. No offense, but after looking at the pics I see no muscle tone. I assume these are old pictures?
    Define bulky? Based on the pics in your profile, you don't even look athletic let alone bulky. This isn't an insult; I'm just trying to give my perspective. When you say bulky, are you just referring to the size of your body? Usually when you hear people complaining of bulk, they're referring to having a muscular look, which you don't have in your pictures. I dunno, I guess I'm over thinking it but I'm not sure what you're seeing when you look in the mirror because in your pictures you look thin with room to cut your body fat %.