Can I lose 15 pounds with this meal plan??

Hello Everyone,

I've started trying to lose weight again - I want to lose 15 pounds.
I'm trying to stick to a 1500 calorie/day diet, and I have lost about 1-2 pounds within the first couple of days of doing this (depends on if I weigh myself in the morning or night). I've listed what my daily meals consist of. Can someone please let me know if I stick to this for a couple of months, if I can lose the 15 pounds?

Breakfast - Nature Valley Crunchy Granola Bar - Oats & Honey (190 calories)
Bolthouse Farms Strawberry Banana Smoothie (260 calories)

Lunch - Bacon Ranch Salad with Grilled Chicken (230 calories)
Ranch Salad Dressing (170 calories)

Snack - 1 cup of sliced apples with 3/4 ounces of creamy peanut butter (177 calories)

Dinner - 1 cup of Sunbelt Banana Almond Whole Grain Cereal (360 calories)
2/3 cups of whole milk (99 calories)

Total Calories - 1,486

Can I really lose 15 pounds by sticking to this diet? I also plan to throw in 2-3 days of cardio (elliptical) workouts.

Replies

• CEHayes73
    CEHayes73 Posts: 221 Member
    I guess you could, but why not eat real food?
  • shaleyn
    shaleyn Posts: 125 Member
    As long as you are in a deficit, you'll lose weight. Variety is the spice of life...
  • tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Everybody is different so really you should be telling us if you're losing.

Plus sticking to that would be really boring and you'd likely get pretty sick of it.

I suggest varying your diet and hitting the same calorie deficit you think you need to as the results will be the same.
  • LindsayLL30
    LindsayLL30 Posts: 154 Member
    I guess you could, but why not eat real food?

Agreed, and it doesnt seem like much foor for 1500 calories!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    You'll probably get bored with it. You should eat a variety of things to keep your diet somewhat interesting and motivating. Eating the same stuff over and over is more of a punishment :)
  • jessykab74
    jessykab74 Posts: 167 Member

Plus sticking to that would be really boring and you'd likely get pretty sick of it.

I suggest varying your diet and hitting the same calorie deficit you think you need to as the results will be the same.

My thoughts exactly
  • squirrelzzrule22
    squirrelzzrule22 Posts: 640 Member
    I am currently staring at that exact granola bar and it is 190 cals, not 260. Just FYI.

Cereal for dinner?!?!?! How are you dealing with that????

If you are losing on 1500 I'm sure you will be able to lose on 1500. Honestly though this diet seems miserable and super carby. Not advocating Atkins or anything but carbs make me bloaty and feel like I'm not getting proper nutrition. How about chicken breast and a salad for dinner instead of carbs plus more carbs? Just my thoughts.

Edit- woops I see you mention having chicken and salad for lunch. So disregard my suggestions. I'm just baffled by cereal for dinner.
  • mgore0404
    mgore0404 Posts: 65 Member

I agree, everybody is different, for example I could not loose weight on your diet because it has to many sugars, and carbs. I have a tumor to where I am not allowed to eat sugar because my tumor would get larger because of the glucose in my system. So I would not be able to loose weight on that plan, please let us know how you are doing!
  • thecakelocker
    thecakelocker Posts: 407 Member
    You could eat a ton more food than that for 1500 calories. Jus' sayin
  • OneDimSim
    OneDimSim Posts: 188 Member
    i see u have a Ranch Dressing - i see u also have a Bolthouse smoothie - There is an absolutely AWESOME bolthouse ranch dressing made from Greek Yogurt 45 calories per 2 tbsp!
  • mnishi
    mnishi Posts: 419 Member
    I'd get bored really quickly with that diet. Try to change it up and keep it around the same calories.
  • ami5000psu
    ami5000psu Posts: 391 Member
    That's gonna get real boring. Why not eat some other food along with it? As long as you're meeting the calorie goal what's the difference?
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Hello Everyone,

I've started trying to lose weight again - I want to lose 15 pounds.
    I'm trying to stick to a 1500 calorie/day diet, and I have lost about 1-2 pounds within the first couple of days of doing this (depends on if I weigh myself in the morning or night). I've listed what my daily meals consist of. Can someone please let me know if I stick to this for a couple of months, if I can lose the 15 pounds?

Breakfast - Nature Valley Crunchy Granola Bar - Oats & Honey (190 calories)
    Bolthouse Farms Strawberry Banana Smoothie (260 calories)

Lunch - Bacon Ranch Salad with Grilled Chicken (230 calories)
    Ranch Salad Dressing (170 calories)

Snack - 1 cup of sliced apples with 3/4 ounces of creamy peanut butter (177 calories)

Dinner - 1 cup of Sunbelt Banana Almond Whole Grain Cereal (360 calories)
    2/3 cups of whole milk (99 calories)

Total Calories - 1,486

Can I really lose 15 pounds by sticking to this diet? I also plan to throw in 2-3 days of cardio (elliptical) workouts.

There is no 'stick to this and you will definitely lose x amount of lbs' diet I'm afraid. Everyone is different and it doesn't work like that.

You just need to eat at a deficit, not follow a 'plan'. If you are going to stick to 1500 cals, why don't you try eating some real food rather than processed, sugary rubbish?

For example, swap the morning bar for some porridge (or oatmeal) for breakfast, Lower calorie and more filling.

Chicken salad is good, but you are spending almost as many cals on the dressing as the salad itself! You could swap to a vinigarette style dressing and stick a hard boiled egg in there too, for example.

And cereal for dinner? I'm sure you could fit a proper meal in there with a 1500 calorie limit. I'd be starving if I had cereal for dinner.
  • Riemersma4
    Riemersma4 Posts: 400 Member
    something this boring/regimented would drive me to eat something that I would regret.

Also, looks to be light on protein.

Make sure you are getting some strength training.

Focus on the journey... pay attention to macros, stay at a mild deficit, don't beat yourself up over set backs, surround yourself with friends that will encourage you.

Best!
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Yeah you probably can and probably will in the beginning, but everything is processed food, except the apples. Is it possible to try a more natural unprocessed food in the diet plan. I would imagine with the plan you have now, you are possibly over on your sodium, which isn't good to be everyday.

If you are not able to do a more unprocessed meal plan, then try and drink as much water as possible

Goodluck!!!!!
  • hollygoddess
    hollygoddess Posts: 78 Member
    Hmmmm....yes you would lose, but I see some really calorie dense foods on your plan you could change up so you could eat more.
    I sometimes do cereal for dinner If I don't want to cook, but I use one that gives me 100 cal. or less for a full cup (the lowest sugar I can find like Cherios or plain corn flakes) in case I want 2 cups. Try looking at the protein gram content of your shake/smoothie see if you can buy a product with 20 or more grams a serving to satisfy your hunger longer. Best wishes toward your goals!! :-))
  • Energizer06
    Energizer06 Posts: 311 Member

What this guy said. 2nd his opinion
  • Amy11108
    Amy11108 Posts: 74
    If you are losing now I don't see why you wouldn't continue to lose, but I suggest changing it up a bit and not have the same thing every day. If you return to your previous eating habits you will gain the weight back so why not learn other healthy foods in the process
  • cinbol
    cinbol Posts: 27 Member
    As everyone has already stated everyone is different - I would not loose weight on this plan - too much sugar and carbs and I would be hungry all the time! For me it takes removing the carbs - white foods: sugar, flour, rice and pasta. These are my occasional treats now instead of my main stay - lots of veggies - lots of salads with protein, and lean proteins are working for me.

Some people can do it by just counting calories, but for my engine I need to feed it the right fuel and this took many years of yo-yo dieting and many different plans to finally figure out a good path for me.
  • HappyElizabeth
    HappyElizabeth Posts: 231 Member
    Fake food will give you fake weight loss, and you'll be on a diet again next year.