• Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    I don't like rules. I'm a rebel.
    get back in the basement!
  • ilmb87
    ilmb87 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Asians must be doing it wrong then because we eat all sorts of high sodium foods daily.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

:laugh: I was going to say. And TONS of carbs.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    I can't conform to these rules. There's no reason to go to bed hungry.
  • Admiral_Derp
    Admiral_Derp Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Sure, these will work. I would even go so far as to say that it's sustainable, but holy crap that's on the bare edge of sustainable, and it's far more restrictive than it needs to be. The timed macro eating thing is silly (timed eating in general is), and the potatoes thing as well.

Before you give this stuff a try, I highly recommend trying a moderate calorie deficit, micro and macro rich foods as often as possible, and if you have any room at all left in your numbers, enjoy something. (Cupcakes, pop tarts, ice cream.) And in addition, MOVE. Add some cardio and strength training, 20-30 minutes a day. If you don't see any results with that, sure...give Bob's way a try. I'd be pretty miserable with it but meh.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I already do a lot, but not all, of these rules. One rule I like is the one about berries because they are a superfood but DOES HE KNOW HOW MUCH THOSE SUCKERS COST? Eating them everyday would probably add at least another $20-30 to my food budget a week!

I buy frozen berries. Much easier on the wallet.

and when you heat up the frozen ones they get all syrupy and delicious naturally, it's amazing!! take some heated up frozen berries and put them over yogurt and you would swear you were eating something you should be saving for a cheat day.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I like the common sense ones. The no carbs after lunch gets my blood boiling, though.

ETA: And the going to bed hungry one...what?

Agreed. Those 2 are a bit silly. No vegetables for dinner??

And what is the point of going to bed hungry, other than you'll be hungry all night but sleep through it? Other than right before a meal, why wouldn you want to be hungry at all?
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    I agree with the following:

Rule #2 : Don't Drink Your Calories

Rule #8 : Learn To Read Food Labels So You Know What You Are Eating

Rule #9 : Stop Guessing About Portion Size and Get it RIght--for Good

Rule #17 : Eat Your Vegetables--Just Do it!

Rule #19 : Sleep Right
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Too many rules!
    1. Stay at a caloric deficit
    2. Eat nutritious foods 85-90% of the time
    3. If needed, use the remaining 10-15% for discretionary foods to keep you sane while maintaining carbs/protein/fats
    The End
    Works for me.

Seconded!

Some good tips in there but also some nonsense with no proven evidence.

1. I don't like fruit and would prefer a big bowl of broccoli to apples and berries
    2. No evidence of when carbs are eaten having an effect on weight
    3. White potatoes do have nutrients and there is nothing wrong with eating them if they are within your calorie count
    4. No need for a meatless day
    5. I don't eat breakfast often - it doesn't make a difference whether you eat it or not. Calories in, calories out, irrespective of time of day

And why would you choose to go to bed hungry when you can save calories for the evening. I always have a snack, within my calorie count, so that I don't feel hungry at night.

If these tips help people get some new ideas, great, but I would treat them with a big pinch of salt (within your sodium for the day, of course!).
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    Rule #1: Eat Less
    Rule #2: Move More
  • Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    How the hell is anyone supposed to consistently eat 50g of fibre a day?! You could eat half a wholemeal loaf, a bag of wholemeal pasta, two apples, a bag of spinach and some psyllium husks and still barely break 30g.
  • amanda_danielle18
    amanda_danielle18 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Rule #2: Don't drink your calories.

..... Question, uhmm.. Does that include smoothies and juices you make at home? I just made myself a smoothie with strawberry yogurt, water, a banana and a handful of spinach.
    So, I'm not supposed to drink those now?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    How the hell is anyone supposed to consistently eat 50g of fibre a day?! You could eat half a wholemeal loaf, a bag of wholemeal pasta, two apples, a bag of spinach and some psyllium husks and still barely break 30g.

I usually eat 35-45 g of fiber a day from fruits, vegetables, nuts and whole grains. I eat a lot of beans. That accounts for a lot of it.
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    More like The Be Miserable Rules.

Me don't wanna be miserable
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    Too many rules!

1. Stay at a caloric deficit
    2. Eat nutritious foods 85-90% of the time
    3. If needed, use the remaining 10-15% for discretionary foods to keep you sane while maintaining carbs/protein/fats

The End

what a lovely story...i hope to hear more....and i really do...i l try to eat like this.
  • starla5881
    starla5881 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Sure, these will work. I would even go so far as to say that it's sustainable, but holy crap that's on the bare edge of sustainable, and it's far more restrictive than it needs to be. The timed macro eating thing is silly (timed eating in general is), and the potatoes thing as well.

Before you give this stuff a try, I highly recommend trying a moderate calorie deficit, micro and macro rich foods as often as possible, and if you have any room at all left in your numbers, enjoy something. (Cupcakes, pop tarts, ice cream.) And in addition, MOVE. Add some cardio and strength training, 20-30 minutes a day. If you don't see any results with that, sure...give Bob's way a try. I'd be pretty miserable with it but meh.
    Pffft, get out of here with your logic and common sense. More rules! Preferably arbitrary ones!
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Just found these from Bob Harper(The Biggest Loser) and wanted to share:

Rule #1 : Drink A Large Glass of Water Before Every Meal----No Excuses!
    Nope
    Rule #2 : Don't Drink Your Calories
    Nope
    Rule #3 : Eat Protein at Every Meal----or Stay Hungry and Grouchy
    Good
    Rule #4 : Slash Your Intake of Refined Flours and Grains
    Some
    Rule #5 : Eat 30 to 50 Grams of Fiber a Day
    Nope
    Rule #6 : Eat Apples and Berries Every SIngle Day. Every. Single. Day!
    Good
    Rule #7 : No Carbs After Lunch
    Wrong
    Rule #8 : Learn To Read Food Labels So You Know What You Are Eating
    Good
    Rule #9 : Stop Guessing About Portion Size and Get it RIght--for Good
    Good
    Rule #10 : No More Added Sweeteners, Including Artificial Ones
    Nope
    Rule #11 : Get Rid of Those White Potatoes
    Nope
    Rule #12: Make One Day a Week Meatless
    Sometimes
    Rule #13 : Get Rid of Fast Foods and Frieds Foods
    Nope
    Rule #14 : Eat a Real Breakfast
    Nope
    Rule #15 : Make Your Own Food and Eat at Least Ten Meals a Week at Home
    Maybe
    Rule #16 : Banish High-Salt Foods
    Maybe
    Rule #17 : Eat Your Vegetables--Just Do it!
    Good
    Rule #18 : Go to Bed Hungry
    OH HELL NO!!!
    Rule #19 : Sleep Right
    Good
    Rule #20 : Plan One Splurge Meal a Week
    Maybe
    Though I may not be living all of these, i find them very intriguing! :wink:
  • currlee
    currlee Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I already do a lot, but not all, of these rules. One rule I like is the one about berries because they are a superfood but DOES HE KNOW HOW MUCH THOSE SUCKERS COST? Eating them everyday would probably add at least another $20-30 to my food budget a week!

I eat an apple every morning; that's the high cost for me. I think they're usually 2.49/lb. I get so excited when they're on sale for 1.99/lb, lol. I feel lucky to be able to pick wild berries and stock them in the freezer for use during the winter. We have wild blueberries, cranberries, raspberries and strawberries. I usually just go for blueberries and cranberries, but I think this year I'll add raspberries. I can't wait for summer!!
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    He lost me at no carbs after lunch and no potatoes. Also, if you can't have carbs after lunch, are you supposed to cram in 30-50 g of fiber at breakfast and lunch? I love fruits and vegetables, but I couldn't get in the daily recommendation in two meals without stuffing myself. (The optimal recommendation is more than the "five a day.")
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    7 14 and 18 are bunk in my opinion...

No carbs after lunch..WTF? and the no carbs after dinner thing has been debunked as myth...

Go to bed hungry..why?

LOL

I never did well with rules either...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Rule #18 : Go to Bed Hungry

Why? Am I being punished?

Personally, my favorite days are when I get to 9pm and I still have a couple hundred calories left for my favorite night-time snack. It makes me happy, which means I'm not going to go crazy and I can continue to work towards and eventually maintain a healthy weight.

yup..no dessert for you..go to bed NOW!