eat the calories burned

Options
I never eat the calories I burn with exercise.
I have 1200 calories a day. Somedays I eat between 50 to 100 more.
I burn around 800 to 1000 calories a day with exercise.
Am I supposed to eat these calories burned?
If I don't, what happens?

Replies

• ashscott02
    Options
    I don't know what happens, but holy crap! You are burning 800-1000 calories a day doing what exercises?? I think you should eat more than 1200 though if you are working out that hard. I only have been burning 300 calories or so by running when I exercise. Let me know what your doing!
  • Margarette
    Margarette Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    If you do this consistently and don't eat atleast some of those calories you will actually lower your metabolic rate. Your body adapts to the deficiency in calories. This is why you should eat near the amount myfitnesspal tells you.

It is also why people who crash diet gain back all their weight plus some. Your body stores the nutrients when you get it because it thinks it is starving. I don't think one day will kill you but I would suggest eating the calories to maximize your BMR
  • Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    If you eat 1,200 calories a day, and burn 800, than in reality, your only giving your body 400 calories to run your body. You'll go into starvation mode! Your supposed to eat most of your calories that you burn off in excercise.
  • rachapman
    Options
    I agree, eat at least most of the calories that you burned. Otherwise, your body will save itself by going into a starvation mode. You won't burn as many calories as you would if you keep your metabolism up. My Fitness Pal figures in the 500 per day you'll need to lose a pound a week. If you do that, it's going to stay off.
  • tiffanygil
    tiffanygil Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    This is an on going topic here at MFP, and I have heard everything to no, dont eat them, eat them, eat part of them. I have tried all of it and found when I ate my exercise calories I stopped loosing and even gained some wt. I was also burning quite a few cals between 700-800 cals a day and was having to force myself to eat the extra cals and at times making myself sick. (Bigger people burn more calories than smaller people, doing the same thing)

I think everyone has to find what is best for them. Everyones body is different and FOR ME, I dont eat the calories unless I am supper hungery than I know my body is needing more and I try to eat protien.

Good luck find what works for you!
  • Families_R_Forever
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/6556-the-answers-to-the-questions

This really helped me to understand...I try to eat mine.

GOOD LUCK!!! HEIDI:flowerforyou: