Does anyone make their own chips?

Options
2»

Replies

• bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I bought a microwavable chip maker, and to my surprise it worked great. It was a big hit at my office full of healthy eaters. 2 of my coworkers bought them online a few days later, and they love theirs. Cuts out the fat and oil, and the chips are super crispy. Add a bit of garlic salt and they're delish! You can use sweet potatoes or other root veggies too, and most come with a slicer/mandolin. I used standard Russet tators, but any kind would work. You can probably make the kale chips on this as well. I heard the sweet potato chips with a touch of seasoning are wonderful! Perfectly crispy!
    I'm not a big chip person, but when I'm craving salt/crunch, these hit the spot. Amazon sells the kit for about $10.

Wow, this is good information. Thanks! I'll have to look that up. Chips are one of my weaknesses.
  • GamerLady
    GamerLady Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I make spinach chips with olive oil and sea salt in the dehydrator or the oven. Taste great.
  • rebeccab575
    rebeccab575 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I like the protein chips they sell online. 10 grams of protein per serving, and the flavors are good. I like the ranch and the cheddar flavors. I get them at this site: https://www.bariatricchoice.com/
    Cost is about $1.75/bag. Nothing beats the good'ole fashioned potato chips though. Try that microwavable tray; I don't think you'll be disappointed. Pinterest has a lot of homemade and healthy chip ideas as well.
  • mtbaker64
    mtbaker64 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I've made Kale chips, but never spinach. Do you make them the same way? Also, I notice that Kale chips are good when you make them but don't stay crunch the next day. Any suggestions?
  • GamerLady
    GamerLady Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I've made Kale chips, but never spinach. Do you make them the same way? Also, I notice that Kale chips are good when you make them but don't stay crunch the next day. Any suggestions?

Just have to be careful with the olive oil and not put too much, just spread your spinachon a cookie sheet, then salt and season them and cook them til crispy for just a couple minutes. I spray them with olive oil.

Here's someones video of how to do it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YZHJOLuA8o
  • BCSMama
    BCSMama Posts: 348
    Options
    We make chips quite regularly with a food dehydrator. Just slice thin with a mandolin, season and dehydrate. They turn out nice and crisp!
  • MeeraAnnT
    MeeraAnnT Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I use the tefal actifry to make chips (cant live without it)....you can eat a realy good portion for such low calories...i use a 300 gram potatoe (baked potato) and a tsp of olive oil and they taste sooo good (I used to be obsessed with fast food fries like mcdonalds) and the calories for my actifry chips are like 250 calories only for a normal portion =) Totally reccommend it!
  • coms5132
    coms5132 Posts: 4
    Options
    Pampered Chef Chip Maker -#1241 Microwave Chip Maker — $26.50
    Make oil-free, homemade chips in just minutes. Large silicone plates can be used alone or stacked. Holes and scalloped bases allow for airflow while cooking to make light and crispy chips without frying. Try potatoes, sweet potatoes, apples and more! Set of two. 11". Dishwasher-safe.

Or you buy the entire kit (slicer, chip maker and Buffalo Rub.

NEW! #2533 Make-Your-Own Chips Set — $59.00
    Make-Your-Own Chips Set includes: #1099 Simple Slicer, #1241 Microwave Chip Maker, and #9750 Buffalo Rub.

I've made regular and sweet potato chips in mine. They are excellent.