After affects of weight loss

Options
Hey guys

Ive been cutting weight for 6 months now and looking back at that time a few mental things have changed that i have noticed recently, please let me know if these are normal or not because im having trouble validading them.

I now wake up during the middle of the night to urinate, this was never a problem before and would not need to do this once prevoiusly, now it seems to be between 2-4 times a night. I also urinate during the day a lot more.

My sex drive has deminished dramatically.

Are these normal or am i having troubles which are problematic, it is the second of the two that worries me the most as it used to be overly high and now seems to be non existant

Please help

Thanks in advance

Kris

Replies

• BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing you're drinking more water now so that would explain the peeing.

Your testosterone levels are probably a little low if your sex drive is low. How big is your deficit? How much fat do you eat?
  • krissenior
    krissenior Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I figured the water intake could account for the peeing, however it also happens on days that i dont drink excessive amounts

I eat 1720 calories at the moment, which is 1lb a week defecit, my goal amount of fat is 46g however i regularly go over that, so long as i dont go over my saturates
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    My guess is you're not eating enough in general, and that's why your hormones are off. But also, very importantly, complex carbs contain some amino acids that are precursors to certain neural transmitters that are responsible for mood/hormones. My guess is you're not eating enough of those and therefore your neural transmitters aren't being produced at the same rate as before.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Or maybe you're just cold from walking around with your pants half off.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    not that I'm a doctor, so please take these thoughts as what they are, just layman's ideas.

that said, Low Testosterone levels can account for many of these symptoms. Low T can cause prostate issues, which would account for the frequent urination. It can also cause low energy and diminished sex drive.

A doctor can help you with these symptoms. You should get checked out soon though, letting your body function for extended periods of low Testosterone can have long term implications to your health.
  • krissenior
    Options
    My guess is you're not eating enough in general, and that's why your hormones are off. But also, very importantly, complex carbs contain some amino acids that are precursors to certain neural transmitters that are responsible for mood/hormones. My guess is you're not eating enough of those and therefore your neural transmitters aren't being produced at the same rate as before.

I eat a lot of complex carbs, or at least my daily recommended amount, im not sure that this will be the reason because i didnt eat complex carbs before the weight loss and that is when it was at its highest :/
  • jamantha
    jamantha Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Frequent urination, especially at night can be a sign of diabetes. As can sex problems I believe.
    Now could be something totally different, but worth a thought?
  • krissenior
    Options
    not that I'm a doctor, so please take these thoughts as what they are, just layman's ideas.

that said, Low Testosterone levels can account for many of these symptoms. Low T can cause prostate issues, which would account for the frequent urination. It can also cause low energy and diminished sex drive.

A doctor can help you with these symptoms. You should get checked out soon though, letting your body function for extended periods of low Testosterone can have long term implications to your health.

What could have caused this? eating too low of a deficit?
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of complex carbs, or at least my daily recommended amount, im not that this will be the reason because i didnt eat complex carbs before the weight loss and that is when it was at its highest :/

I'm not a doctor. I'm just suggesting that your serotonin (and oxytocin) is low (and your norepinephrine and cortisol is high from stress). If you're eating low calories, that means your overall intake of enzymes and amino acids is lower, of course. And your body is stressed out trying to subsist on a calorie deficit, of course. This is fine. I'm not criticizing, and you're probably eating great. It's just when you are eating at a low calorie level, it's even MORE important to make sure you're getting all those enzymes and amino acids in as nutritionally dense food as possible and in sufficient quantity.

See, when you weren't eating at a deficit, your brain was capable of making the serotonin from what you were eating, even though you weren't eating a lot of complex carbs. The precursor enzymes and amino acids are in ALL FOODS. It's just that they're highly concentrated in complex carbs. Like spinach, beans, mushrooms and soybeans. (Asparagus, cauliflower, parsley, kale, broccoli are also good.)

If you're having mood/hormone problems while eating at a caloric deficit, I think it's important to include those foods on a daily basis.
  • oldandhealthier
    oldandhealthier Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Frequent urination, especially at night can be a sign of diabetes. As can sex problems I believe.
    Now could be something totally different, but worth a thought?
    that is what is was for me
  • ThinUpGirl
    ThinUpGirl Posts: 397
    Options
    I have to get up to pee several times a night as well, but I'm drinking 4-5 bottles of water a day in addition to my morning tea or coffee.

My sex drive is actually up.

O am finding that every couple weeks, I have one day were a feel beyond exhausted. I go to bed really early, like 8pm and sleep until 630 the next morning.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    it could be anything. it could be an effect of the way you are eating, could be genetic and have kicked in because of a specific change brought on by the dietary change, could be hormonal...etc. Again, I would go see your doctor, describe the symptoms, and see what he/she says. I'm no expert.
  • wildfirediva
    Options
    [Not a Dr]

Your caloric deficit may be too large and the reduced fats can cause several things to get a little 'wonky'. I would evaluate your sources of protein and fat and the quantities of each. How quality are the calories you are eating (whole foods, plenty of veggies, etc) How much are you working out? How are you tracking your burn? Is your 1700ish calories NET or TOTAL?
    Really evaluate your restriction.
    To me my long term health and my sex drive are more important than trying to get "cut" in an unreasonable amount of time with extreme measures.
    My solution eat....good quality real food insuring you are meeting your nutritional requirement and not just macros.