Exercise help please!

Options
Hi! I'm 55 years old and doing good so far at getting some weight. However, I still have a LONG way to go! My goal (long term) is not just to get the weight off but to get into better shape than I have ever been in. Even when I was younger and thin I wasn't physically active. So, I am looking for some good exercise that will burn calories and get me in shape. I need help because I don't have a clue. All I do currently is using my Giselle (which is similar to cross country skiing I believe) and I have started doing some arm curls (I think that's what they are called:~) I need some suggestions, maybe a video for obese people??? I also have a left knee and foot that give me quite a bit of trouble so have to watch that AND I work one job full time, another online part time and have a husband with Alzheimers...soooo not a a lot of time to exercise either. Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions!:wink:

Replies

• carmenkristel
    Options
    Wow, good for you, you have alot on your plate and you're still tackling your goals....you go girl. I actually don't have a lot of advice as I'm still somewhat new but I love the running and walking room (wednesday and sunday are free practices, I suggest the walking practice...really a nice pace). The other thinkg I love is my excerise bike (it only cost 80$ or so a year ago and is pretty comfortable), helps break up the long winters here in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.

Hope this helps a bit

374587.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • purdygrl
    purdygrl Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Hello ladybug . With a busy lifestyle it is hard to find time to exercise. If you have access to a pool swimming burns lots of calories and easy on the knees. Also putting on some dance music and just dancing is great for a good cardio and burning off calories. I have ordered the zumba tapes I have heard lots of good stuff.

Good luck with your journey.
  • Coppersky55
    Options
    If the ankle doesn't bother you I burn tons of calories on a stationary bike. If it does bother you, I have also had several surgeries over the past years with arms and legs out of commiission so I used the Mari Winsor Pilates DVD's without all the props and found that I could always do those exerices regardless of what I had injured but sometimes need modification. Also, if you get the sport cords used in Physical therapy , those will sculpt and burn calories as well with small repetitive movements. Good luck! .
  • unknownndoll
    unknownndoll Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Leslie Sandsone (sp?) walk away the pounds (walmart has them) they are easier to do and you can do a 1-5 mile (15-45 min i believe) they are really good without being too intense.
  • ladybug91254
    ladybug91254 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Thanks for a lot of tips...I can't really use a bike because of the knee issue...it irritates it. That's why I went to the Gazelle...it doesn't have to bend my knee. I can so far walk for about a mile to a mile and half without my foot hurting. I have some physical therapy exercises the Dr. gave me for my foot that are helping so hopefully that will keep getting better. Before I could only do a half mile. Swimming IS great but unfortunately no place within an hours drive with a pool except in the summer time and even then our local pool closes at 6:45 or 7 and is always LOADED with kids. I have heard about the Leslie walk video...I think I will try that. Thanks again.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,359 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend Leslie Sansone walking away the pounds DVD's. They are low impact. They are cheapest on ebay. I would not buy anything over 3 miles for now. I believe you should start with 1 to 2 miles. If you can't walk far the one mile will be just fine for you. I too have bad knees and I recommend modifications to the DVD's. I do not do the kick backs at all. I continue to walk in place or move upper body. and when tired, the upper body stuff is great standing still and keeps your heart rate up. I also recommend buying a heart monitor so you can make sure you are in the zone for your age and getting a good calorie burn. Hope this helps.
  • mimi7grands
    mimi7grands Posts: 616
    Options
    You have your hands full! We are very close as far as amount of weight to lose, weight loss so far, and even age (although I'm a little older at 61). I'm also just getting into exercise. I like the Leslie Sansone tapes. I got a couple on Amazon. One has 5 different one-mile walks. The other has 1, 2, and 3 (and maybe 4?) mile walks. They're a little hokey but actually kind of fun to do.

If you're looking for some support, you might want to check out two of the threads that I keep up with. I really like both of them a lot. They are "WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL - part 2" and "Eat Healthy; Get Fit; Lose 100+ New Group 1st Weigh in Jan. - part 2." I've never been a rah rah kind of person, but these forums are full of wonderful women who share the ups and downs and tips for succeeding.

Good luck to you. We can do this!! (Amazing, huh?!)
  • flwyland
    flwyland Posts: 142
    Options
    Leslie Sandsone (sp?) walk away the pounds (walmart has them) they are easier to do and you can do a 1-5 mile (15-45 min i believe) they are really good without being too intense.

I have Leslie Sansone's Walk at Home 5 Day Slim Down. There are others available, too. To do one mile (one workout) takes about 25 minutes which includes warm-up and cool-down times. It's great for fitting in a workout on short notice. No equipment, just walking shoes.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,384 Member
    Options
    Before you purchase a DVD, check out collage video.com. You can view a short clip of the tape to see if it'll work for you. They have almost all of LS's tapes. I'm not saying that you have to buy them from there, but you can certainly view a clip of it.

They also have some videos by Debra Mazda (the Shapely Girl series)

Good luck!