Leftover rice suggestions

Options
celtic0ne
celtic0ne Posts: 216 Member
I cooked up a whole bunch of rice and now I need something to do with it... any suggestions for tasty things to do with leftover rice?

Replies

• MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Send it to me, my ducks love the stuff.

Otherwise, add some olive oil, low sodium soy sauce and garlic and stir fry it.
    Add it to soups to bulk them up.
  • neacail
    neacail Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    We have "treat days" on Friday here at work. One of the ladies, who comes from Nigera, brought in a traditional British West African dish called "Jollof Rice" today.

Very yummy, and very tasty! It is a bit like a jambalaya. I've been Google recipes for it all morning.
  • dimsumkitty
    dimsumkitty Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Fried rice is the best! Basically dice loads of veggies and things you like, fry them it a little bit of oil, add your rice and scramble an egg into the whole thing.
  • Elainejk21
    Elainejk21 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I started freezing my extra rice.. I just pop it into a freezer bag in 1 or 2 cup portions and then use it in soups/stews when it calls for cooked rice.
  • celtic0ne
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions so far :) Jollof Rice sounds interesting... I will be looking that up for sure!
  • celtic0ne
    Options
    I started freezing my extra rice.. I just pop it into a freezer bag in 1 or 2 cup portions and then use it in soups/stews when it calls for cooked rice.

Thanks, I was wondering how well it would freeze so that answers that! :)
  • kelleyannclemons
    kelleyannclemons Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Last night, I took a serving of brown rice and mixes as follows for lunch today. It was delicious!

a few drops of olive oil (maybe 1/4 teaspoon)
    1 chopped green onion
    creole seasoning
    chili powder
    garlic powder

Take the cooked rice and toss in a pan with all ingredients mixed in for a couple minutes. I just wait until it smells really good :happy:
  • bubbaduts
    bubbaduts Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I add beans and taco seasoning for some black beans and rice love! i usually have to add veggie stock while it cooks but yummy
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    mix it with salsa and hot sauce .. wrap it in a tortilla with whatever leftover meat is in the fridge .. burritos.
  • teddabod
    teddabod Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Fry it up with some chicken bits and fill up some lettuce wraps. Yum.
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    All sorts of uses - I like to use it as a stuffing for vegetables, with some herbs and cheese - but be very careful about storage, it's a nasty one for food poisoning if it sits about.
  • celtic0ne
    Options
    mmm.... lettuce wraps... that sounds tasty :)
  • Vincentsz
    Vincentsz Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Get ham chunks like for split pea soup (or you can use left over pork chops) green onion, frozen peas and carrots, 2 eggs, and shrimp.
    Make sure the shrimp is cooked and peeled.
    Scramble the eggs
    cut green onion into small pieces.
    Cook peas and carrots until, al dente
    Put a little peanut oil (regular vegetable oil work too) in a frying pan Get it HOTT!
    Put rice in the pan,add remaining ingredients and add Teriyaki sauce and soy sauce to taste!
    Turn frequently!

And Voila! House Special Fried Rice!
  • celtic0ne
    Options
    Thanks Vincentsz :)