Do things like spelling and grammar....

Options

Replies

• Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    That's like saying, do table manners matter at McDonald's? Do rules of the road matter when I'm the only car around? Can I litter just because no one's watching?

I think you get my drift.

I can understand someone making one typo in a paragraph... but bad grammar and spelling does bother me, no matter what context. Unless English is your second (or third, etc) language-- and that's not really the case for a majority of users here, since this is an english site (unless there are some translating apps that I don't know about)-- then it kind of just means you don't give a *kitten* about communicating correctly in your own language... people aren't stupid, they just choose not to pay attention when they type, or chose not to pay attention in school.
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I generally don't make a big deal out of it.

Unls its wrtn lik diz.

That type of writing bugs me. Especially when the writer then says "Sorry for the mistakes, I'm on my phone/tablet/etc." I had to try really hard to make me phone let me type those words, so I know that a smart phone will not overlook them!
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Everyone makes the occasional typo, but a sloppy post can be unclear and takes more time to read; it's discourteous. The failure to demonstrate an understanding of basic grammar does reflect badly on your attention to detail, and often your education and intelligence.

And most people who successfully lose weight are detail-oriented.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I think I've stopped caring about grammar and spelling because the lack of reading comprehension skills seems a far bigger issue to me. It makes me wonder where our education system is failing.

Add critical reasoning and the common argumentative fallacies: straw man, ad hominem, attack, appeal to questionable authority, post hoc ergo propter hoc, etc.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Everyone makes the occasional typo, but a sloppy post can be unclear and takes more time to read.

QFT

I don't bother to read posts with poor grammar, spelling and SHOUTY POSTS IN CAPITAL LETTERS as it is just far too time consuming.
  • Kali2024
    Kali2024 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    For a certain group of people it makes them twitch.

My left eye twitches when i see: they're, there or their not used correctly
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why some people only apply grammar and spelling in certain situations. I mean, why have two different ways of writing? Isn't it easier to write correctly all the time than have to remember to alter the way you write depending on the situation?

I just think it I stopped using correct spelling and grammar on the internet, it would creep into work. Why let it deteriorate?
  • n0shitsherl0ck
    Options
    I won't 'Grammar Nazi' someone unless they make a really stupid mistake like mix up 'their', 'there' and 'they're' or more annoyingly 'your' and 'you're'. Just for the plain fact no-one (when English is their first language) should even have to put any thought into the difference between each whatsoever. The fact people still do though kills my happiness.
  • janehlansing
    Options
    Unls its wrtn lik diz.

That type of writing bugs me. Especially when the writer then says "Sorry for the mistakes, I'm on my phone/tablet/etc." I had to try really hard to make me phone let me type those words, so I know that a smart phone will not overlook them!

I turned off autocorrect b/c it made me feel like an idiot.

The United States is definitely dumbing down its citizens. Facebook posts by my son's friends makes my skin crawl. My daughter who is 8 doesn't make a quarter of the mistakes I see kids 15-25 years of age doing. Makes my skin crawl. Using a z instead of an "s" is just stupid. A principal of a highschool up here in MA cancelled an awards ceremony for students making honor roll b/c it would "hurt" the feelings of the other students who "tried really hard and didn't get the grades" . When I was growing up, that meant... study harder.

I would love to correct people sometimes but, it causes too much drama. I go to topix.com sometime for my hometown and I am embarassed to say I am from there. They write like they never made it past 1st grade.

Jane
  • janehlansing
    Options
    twitchable moments include: their, there, they're. Realy. Prolly. anything with iz on the end and a whole bunch more but it makes my fingers ache and weep to type them.
  • Ramberta
    Options
    I don't understand why some people only apply grammar and spelling in certain situations. I mean, why have two different ways of writing? Isn't it easier to write correctly all the time than have to remember to alter the way you write depending on the situation?

I just think it I stopped using correct spelling and grammar on the internet, it would creep into work. Why let it deteriorate?

^This 100%
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,032 Member
    Options

But at work you might use a grammar/spelling checker - you surely wouldnt do that in a chat forum - so yes, sometimes it is more relevant than others.
    And everyone has many different ways of writing - I might use abbreviations like u for you in a text message, I wouldnt do that in a job resume.
    and people use things like DH on fourms all the time - not in other contexts.

even the always quoted Lets eat Grandma vs Lets eat, Grandma to show how much grammar matters shows the opposite to me - that context is more important than detail - anyone reading Lets eat Grandma in real life would know exactly what the writer meant and not what the grammar literally says.

I dont deliberately mispell but I dont think spelling/grammar on a forum is nearly as impotant as Grammar Nazis liketo think.
  • Ramberta
    Options
    Unls its wrtn lik diz.

I turned off autocorrect b/c it made me feel like an idiot.

The United States is definitely dumbing down its citizens. Facebook posts by my son's friends makes my skin crawl. My daughter who is 8 doesn't make a quarter of the mistakes I see kids 15-25 years of age doing. Makes my skin crawl. Using a z instead of an "s" is just stupid. A principal of a highschool up here in MA cancelled an awards ceremony for students making honor roll b/c it would "hurt" the feelings of the other students who "tried really hard and didn't get the grades" . When I was growing up, that meant... study harder.

I would love to correct people sometimes but, it causes too much drama. I go to topix.com sometime for my hometown and I am embarassed to say I am from there. They write like they never made it past 1st grade.

Jane

I have mad grammar skillz gaiz.

^Sometimes things are purposefully misspelled in humorous contexts. And Facebook didn't exist before 2005, so the ignorance of youth trying to look 'cool' wasn't obvious to everyone with a computer. That doesn't mean everyone is being 'dumbed down' now. I love how everyone is so willing to blame the government for everything... :noway:
  • Chris99mu
    Chris99mu Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Fo sho.
  • Ramberta
    Options

But at work you might use a grammar/spelling checker - you surely wouldnt do that in a chat forum - so yes, sometimes it is more relevant than others.

If you have to use a spell checker at all, you're doing it wrong.
    even the always quoted Lets eat Grandma vs Lets eat, Grandma to show how much grammar matters shows the opposite to me - that context is more important than detail - anyone reading Lets eat Grandma in real life would know exactly what the writer meant and not what the grammar literally says.

I dont deliberately mispell but I dont think spelling/grammar on a forum is nearly as impotant as Grammar Nazis liketo think.

I'm not allowed to point out the irony of you making so many grammatical errors when discussing how grammar isn't really that important, but I will say that nothing should ever be assumed when punctuation is vague. That is all.
  • LaurySch
    LaurySch Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    communication is made up of senders and receivers. The responsibility of the sender is to send the information out with the fewest barriers. Incorrect spelling and improper grammar are barriers. If you are sending to one person, who you know and knows you to the point where a barrier like spelling or grammar would not be an issue, then spelling and grammar do not matter. The more people the sender wants to reach with his/her message, the more proper and within the general rules of sentence structure, spelling, and grammar they should make the message. While it is indeterminable to whom the spelling and grammar effect, you will not find someone who cannot understand the message because it IS spelled properly, and structured correctly.

So, really, whether or not it "matters" is dependent upon with whom the sender wishes to communicate, and if they want to exclude people from receiving said communication.

Is that the kind of answer you were wanting?

I'm not the first to say it - but wow, I"m in love!

I edit all the time, but I will NOT point it out to you and make you feel like an idiot. I will just ignore you.
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it is done for humor. Those times are usually obvious, I really meant this in terms of people who complete every post they make with this type of writing. I have a cousin who does this on Facebook. I know she is educated, she knows it is incorrect, but still spells every word wrong and never uses any form of punctuation. It is hard to read what she posts. I may not be the smartest one, but I try to respect other posters with at least halfway decent writing.
  • EvelynBfly78
    EvelynBfly78 Posts: 240 Member
    Options

Thanks for the link. I enjoyed it "alot."
  • olDave
    olDave Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    What people post in a forum is one thing. However, when I see things like "Windows is opening up." or "Topics where olDave has posted in", I cringe just a bit. :tongue: