What meal do you eat before a race?

Options
I have my first 10k race tomorrow morning... YAY! Any tips as to what to eat for dinner tonight for energy tomorrow?

Replies

• kylamaries
    kylamaries Posts: 291
    Options
    I've never run a 10k before but I know athletes carbo load (see article: http://www.livestrong.com/article/539929-what-is-carbo-loading-why-do-athletes-do-this/) so maybe try something high in carbs so you have enough energy? Our track team always has a sit-down, buffet-style spaghetti dinner the night before a race! :happy:
  • PollyWolly98
    Options
    I have a 10K trail race in 2 wks, so I am interested in hearing more about this.
  • rmdaly
    rmdaly Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    You don't need to carbo load for a 10K race. Eat what you would normally eat. Pasta or pizza is a good choice just don't overdo so that you feel full or bloated in the morning. Its not the time to try something new the night before a race.

In the morning eat a small breakfast with some carbs about 2 hours before the race if you can. Toast and a banana or a small bowl of oatmeal. Personally, I don't like to be hungry when I race, but I also don't like feeling like there is a lump in my stomach. If you normally drink coffee do that as well.

Good luck and have fun!
  • melmargirly
    melmargirly Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    You don't need to carbo load for a 10K race. Eat what you would normally eat. Pasta or pizza is a good choice just don't overdo so that you feel full or bloated in the morning. Its not the time to try something new the night before a race.

In the morning eat a small breakfast with some carbs about 2 hours before the race if you can. Toast and a banana or a small bowl of oatmeal. Personally, I don't like to be hungry when I race, but I also don't like feeling like there is a lump in my stomach. If you normally drink coffee do that as well.

Good luck and have fun!

I figured I wouldn't need to load up a ton on carbs... I just wanted some input on what to eat... thanks for the ideas!