Ab routine

Options
So does anyone know of a really good ab work out? I feel that my stomach is always bigger than my lower half making it hard to find good fitting jeans. Either to tight in the stomach or to lose on the lower half. So if anyone knows of something to really help trim my stomach that I can add in to my workout. Especially for my lower stomach that pooch as my boyfriend says.

Replies

• ChrisLindsay9
    ChrisLindsay9 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    The saying goes, "abs are made in the kitchen." And there's a lot of truth in that. The best way to shrink bodyfat is to reduce calories, go a little bit less on the carbs, and exercise. Thus, burn more calories than you consume.

You can't spot reduce bodyfat. The body will shrink fat cells whereever it likes. You could do 100 bicep curls, and your body may burn fat from your legs, your butt, whereever to get energy for the arm workout.

So diet is the big thing, but you can do some ab workouts in the meanwhile so that when your bodyfat in your abdomen does start shrinking, you'll have some nice muscle tone underneath.

Here are some ab workouts that I particularly like:

Hanging Leg Raises
    Crunches/Sit-Ups on Decline Bench
    Pallof Press
    Abwheels
    Side and Front Planks

It's a bit more advanced, but I find that front squats are really good - I feel my stomach muscles engage when I'm just using the bar, let alone with some weight on it.

Good luck! Hope you find success!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I've got some terrific ab routines. But you're going to have to lose more weight to get the effect you want. Training your abs specifically isn't going help at all
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    i do squats and deadlifts
    and maybe about 5-10 minutes of direct ab work per week
  • catfive1
    catfive1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Cardio, cardio and more cardio.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

lolno
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

No, no, and more no.

Calorie deficit. Resistance training will help you lose fat instead of muscle. If you have trouble eating in a deficit then add enough cardio to get there.
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Not-funny_zps6f507aa4.gif
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options

This is the answer to "How does one become skinny fat?" but doesn't really help the OP.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Agree with others that diet is going to be the biggest part of getting the abs you want.

Direct ab work is obviously important. In addition to my weekly Deadlifts & Barbell Squats, I do 2 ab session a week. I usually do 3 exercises/3 sets each-1 isometric exercise, 1 oblique exercise, and weighted crunches, leg lifts etc.
  • MiamiKid305
    MiamiKid305 Posts: 357
    Options
    a calorie deficit+ resistance training routine+slow intensity cardio at least 3 times a week and you'll be on your way to loosing weight