Get Away Bag/ BOB Food

Options
KarmaxKitty
KarmaxKitty Posts: 901 Member
So as a hobby of mine (I mean...I guess it's a hobby), I like to look up Boy Scout projects and Survival things. One of the things I found was a Bug Out Bag (BOB) or Go Bag, which has turned into an ongoing project for me.

The basics are food, shelter, water, and heat/light, not necessarily in that order.

I'm having issues with the types of food to put in my bag. I was wondering if anyone else who was building one had any ideas. Of course, even if you're not building one, I'd still like to hear some. :flowerforyou:

Replies

• KarmaxKitty
    Options
    That didn't answer my question.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Dried fruit maybe? That can last a long time. Crackers? Saltines? Not very tasty, though. Beef jerky!
  • Pelly57
    Pelly57 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I keep a stash of high protein meal replacement bars under my desk at work in case we are locked into the building for an undetermined amount of time. When they are about a month from expiration I buy a new bunch and set the old bunch out on the counter in the breakroom for anyone who wants them. Not the tasiest things, but they have a long shelf life and will do in an emergency.
  • jessmart83
    jessmart83 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    My bf has started making a bug out bag and stole a jar of my PB2 to put in there.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    That sounds like an enjoyable hobby. Also, beef jerky.
  • KarmaxKitty
    Options
    I keep a stash of high protein meal replacement bars under my desk at work in case we are locked into the building for an undetermined amount of time. When they are about a month from expiration I buy a new bunch and set the old bunch out on the counter in the breakroom for anyone who wants them. Not the tasiest things, but they have a long shelf life and will do in an emergency.

I bought a bunch of them too, haha. That's the first thing that went in my bag for the next time i get lost on a road trip... :grumble:
  • KarmaxKitty
    Options
    That sounds like an enjoyable hobby. Also, beef jerky.

It's quite fun, really! Fun for me at least. I like seeing what I can manage to get in there. So far I'm set up for getting out of town in case of weather issues.

P.S. Beef jerky is ALWAYS a winner! :laugh: