Will sprint intervals help burn belly fat?

Options
I've been a runner since I was 12 (turning 32 tomorrow). I've been pretty fit my entire life doing other moderate strength training routines. Recently I started hitting the weights harder to try to reduce my body fat percentage. I've heard that sprint intervals can help burn belly fat (after having 2 kiddos I need to work on this area). Has anyone had any positive results from adding sprint intervals to weight lifting routine? How often and how long should I do intervals? Any advice is greatly apprecitated!

Replies

• Dlacenere
    Dlacenere Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    It has for me - I usually do one or two sprints within each 5 minute interval for 15-30 minutes total. So I will run at like 5.0 for a minute or two and then sprint at 8.0 or 9.0 for 30-60 seconds and then go back to 5.0 until my heart rate drops and then go in for another sprint. On a good week, I may do it two times.
  • sccet
    sccet Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    You cannot spot reduce. If most of your fat is there, that is likely the last place that it will leave.

However....

I've been doing this for the past three weeks and I have seen a reduction in my body fat.

http://www.trimmedandtoned.com/a-hiit-workout-routine-to-burn-belly-fat-fast

It's hard as #&*$#$+#, though.
  • GeoJenna223
    GeoJenna223 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) is great for fat loss, but you can't target specific areas. Sprinting is a form of HIIT. I usually do 1 minute on, 2 minutes off for 5-8 sets with a 5 minute warm up and a 5 minute cool down. I, however, do not run. I do it on a Precor Adaptive Motion Trainer. Sprinting intervals should still work though!
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Yeah, there's not really anything you can do to target specific areas of your body. That said, sprinting is great! I've just recently started doing sprint intervals a couple times a week post-lifting. My legs were pretty sore the first week, but I've been fine since then. I do think they help with leanness and I also believe sprinting increases my speed, power, and explosiveness--all things I really like to train. I've been doing them anywhere from 5-10 minutes, usually. I keep it simple and do 30 seconds sprint, 30 seconds rest.
  • marypatmccue
    marypatmccue Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I've been a runner since I was 12 (turning 32 tomorrow). I've been pretty fit my entire life doing other moderate strength training routines. Recently I started hitting the weights harder to try to reduce my body fat percentage. I've heard that sprint intervals can help burn belly fat (after having 2 kiddos I need to work on this area). Has anyone had any positive results from adding sprint intervals to weight lifting routine? How often and how long should I do intervals? Any advice is greatly apprecitated!

One word: Nope.
    One simply cannot spot reduce.

facepalm.jpg

However, you are hitting the weights.
    Calculate your BMR, TDEE. Eat above BMR, Below TDEE to lose.
    Keep lifting
    Rest
    Repeat
    Cardio is of great debate on the forums. It's simply not necessary unless you want to do it for your cardiovascular health.

It's that easy :)