How low is your Low Carb ?

Options

Replies

• markdavy1982
    markdavy1982 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    its a pity that the fibre count is not included in mfp..would make getting the net carb so much easier :/

You can add fiber to you diary buy going to settings>Diary settings>Nutrients Tracked.
  • Asterie
    Asterie Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    its a pity that the fibre count is not included in mfp..would make getting the net carb so much easier :/

If you go to your food settings, you can choose fiber as one of your options. Then you could check your net carbs manually! (:

As for me, I'm currently only doing 20 net carbs (it's been a week now)--I'm FULL of energy and finally back to a normal sleeping schedule without the grogginess. In a week or two I'll up it by 5 grams per week to see how I feel; hopefully I'll be like most of you and can still feel energetic with 60-100 g in me!
  • fantasticelastic
    fantasticelastic Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Really ? Oh thats brillient thanks so much :)
  • fantasticelastic
    Options
    yipeee it worked thats great..its made my day (must get out more, lol)
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Well lets see.... mine is at 188 now.

My rice had 0 carbs.
  • fantasticelastic
    Options
    Ah feck doesnt seem to work properly..its saying that my nut loaf has 0 fibre !!
  • Asterie
    Asterie Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Ah feck doesnt seem to work properly..its saying that my nut loaf has 0 fibre !!

Yeah, I've come to find that MFP isn't too accurate for the low carbers. However, it does help give you a rough approximation of the fibers (rather than writing it all down on paper)! It's probably counting it as 0 because it's only 0.5 carbs or something; that's what it does for my pepperoni sticks. I just try to keep it in mind when I'm calculating my net carbs and remember that I still have a carb or two to eat.
  • 366to266
    366to266 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I set myself 20g a day, but I always end up having 30g to 60g <sigh>
  • Mimoki
    Mimoki Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Ohh boy, I can sure eat carbs. I am always over in my carbs, I mean today I got like 350. Lol I live in Bangladesh, in the country side and I dont do the grocery shopping and man do they love rice here. I hope it doesn't impede on my diet too much but worst case I will wait it out until I am back in the States and in charge of my own food!
  • writetomab
    writetomab Posts: 226
    Options
    I aim for under 50g on a low carb day and if I can under 20g, but really anything under 100-150 is considered low carb.

Having been on these forums for just over a week I have noticed a lot of misconceptions around carbs and diet and it seems the vast majority of people preach the 'golden rule' of calories in versus calories out... which to be honest I used to be a big believer in and to a certain extent I still do. But I have read a lot of material recently and in particular two books that have completely changed my perception.

If anyone fancies a good read then they should check out 'Why we get fat: And what you can do about it' by Gary Taubes completely changed my view of carbohydrates and a healthy diet.
  • markdavy1982
    markdavy1982 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I aim for under 50g on a low carb day and if I can under 20g, but really anything under 100-150 is considered low carb.

Having been on these forums for just over a week I have noticed a lot of misconceptions around carbs and diet and it seems the vast majority of people preach the 'golden rule' of calories in versus calories out... which to be honest I used to be a big believer in and to a certain extent I still do. But I have read a lot of material recently and in particular two books that have completely changed my perception.

If anyone fancies a good read then they should check out 'Why we get fat: And what you can do about it' by Gary Taubes completely changed my view of carbohydrates and a healthy diet.

Book sounds interesting, another good book it 'metabolic typing diet'
  • missmegan831
    missmegan831 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    5% or under 20 Net carbs per day.. hypothyroid and only thing thats gotta me 49 pounds lighter and full of energy
  • BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    I hit my protein, fat, and fiber macros and let the carbs fall where ever. Who wants to count carbs all the time? I believe most people who go "low carb" lose weight simply for the fact most of the carbs they previously consumed where junk processed foods. On average my carbs fall between 300-500g a day. ""NINJAS EAT RICE!!! NUFF SAID!""
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I keep it to about 30g of carbs after the fibre is deducted out. That's anywhere from 45-50g pre-fibre depending on the foods I choose.
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I don't aim so much for a total gram goal as a percentage of calories goal. I find it makes more sense as my diet can be anywhere from 2,000 to 3,500 calories depending on if I'm dieting, mass-gaining or in a maintenance phase.

For me it's simply under 8% regardless of my daily intake.

On a 2,000 calorie day that's under 160 calories (40g) from carbohydrate.
    On a 3,500 calorie day that's under 280 calories (70g) from carbohydrate.

I do NOT break-out the fiber from those totals. The numbers include fiber amounts. "Net Carb" products are too-often deceiving.

As a diabetic I find under 8% is what best-controls my blood glucose.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options

I do NOT break-out the fiber from those totals. The numbers include fiber amounts. "Net Carb" products are too-often deceiving.

Do you mean this for the frankenfoods like as far as bars or processed stuff goes? I find the net carbs to be very accurate but I don't eat things that aren't considered ingredients. I'm speaking more about the (carb - fibre) in things like fruits and veggies.
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I try to keep mine under 150. Under 100 if I need to lose a few.
  • kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    i'll cycle down to around 65
  • phatguerilla
    phatguerilla Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I'm going to aim for under 100g of carbs this week/fortnight and see how that feels, probably drop it further after that unless I see some big changes (not expecting big changes at that level, just want to work down gradually).