Candida diet anyone?

Options
2»

Replies

1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    It's not that big a deal to temporarily eliminate certain foods for the greater good as far as my health is concerned. I love lentils. I can't say I haven't been guilty of eating a full pound of them by myself over the course of a day or two! I do think of foods like that which I do crave often.

That's the problem. You're looking at a "temporary" solution. No super-restrictive special diet is a long-term solution.

Here's the question: "What do you do when the "Candida" diet ends?"

Here's the postscript: "Start doing that stuff now, and skip the Candida diet."

YOU misunderstand. It's not that a person can never ever have any of the foods they eliminated again in their life. But that moderation is key. Also, it may also depend on the person. Some people do cure their problem and can get on with their lives. Others find the problem to be recurrent. This is not a black and white issue. In fact, NO issue is black and white. The human body is a varying thing. We can all agree to that I believe.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Stop taking advice from "alternative" medical practices and your candida problem will vanish.
    There is evidence based medicine and all the stuff that doesn't work. When it works, we'll have evidence.

straight up BS. candida is best treated holistically - end of story. nothing doctors give you will treat the CAUSE of candida. they'll give you antibiotics that will also kill the GOOD bacteria. that's not a situation you want to be in either, and when you stop taking the antibiotics, the candida will come back.

They give antibiotics to treat candida?

chyah - read SRH's post above.

Sorry if you misunderstood; the antibiotics caused the problem. The treatment was antifungal medication (tablets).

I try to avoid antibiotics but have asthma and have needed them for two chest infections in the last year.

If I had found any evidence that changing my diet after antibiotics would have cleared it up I would have done that, but I haven't found any solid evidence yet. But I'll be keeping an eye on this thread to see if anyone else has had success.
    Options
    Stop taking advice from "alternative" medical practices and your candida problem will vanish.
    There is evidence based medicine and all the stuff that doesn't work. When it works, we'll have evidence.

straight up BS. candida is best treated holistically - end of story. nothing doctors give you will treat the CAUSE of candida. they'll give you antibiotics that will also kill the GOOD bacteria. that's not a situation you want to be in either, and when you stop taking the antibiotics, the candida will come back.

Sorry if you misunderstood; the antibiotics caused the problem. The treatment was antifungal medication (tablets).

I try to avoid antibiotics but have asthma and have needed them for two chest infections in the last year.

If I had found any evidence that changing my diet after antibiotics would have cleared it up I would have done that, but I haven't found any solid evidence yet. But I'll be keeping an eye on this thread to see if anyone else has had success.

Kefir is supposed to be very good for restoring the good bacteria to the gut. If you are looking for ways to re-establish, that may be a good option for you. You can find it in the stores lately, usually near the yogurt.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

ahhh gotcha. yeah that makes sense obviously.

but didn't you say you started taking probiotics? by drinking things like kefir/kombucha, by eating sauerkraut, kimchi, etc, you can also get those probiotics without supplementing. however supplementing is obviously easier than eating those foods daily.

basically - and i know you know this - candida can exist anywhere from your stomach, to your mouth, to ... other places. i feel that natural treatments are always better than antifungals/antibacterials/etc. often times candida is a symptom of low stomach acid. essentially, your stomach doesn't produce enough acid so the pH level of the gut is high enough that the candida can survive. By supplementing with HCL and probiotics, you can kill the candida by lowering the pH of the stomach while simultaneously repopulating the stomach with those good lil' bacteria.

if your problem was candida in another area of the body, i'm less well versed... (ie: not at all versed) in how to deal with it... however a wise old doctor (Hippocrates) once said that all diseases can be traced back to the gut - and I tend to believe that's true.
  • SRH7
    Options
    Kefir is supposed to be very good for restoring the good bacteria to the gut. If you are looking for ways to re-establish, that may be a good option for you. You can find it in the stores lately, usually near the yogurt.

Thanks for this - I will look into it :flowerforyou:
  • SRH7
    Options
    ahhh gotcha. yeah that makes sense obviously.

but didn't you say you started taking probiotics? by drinking things like kefir/kombucha, by eating sauerkraut, kimchi, etc, you can also get those probiotics without supplementing. however supplementing is obviously easier than eating those foods daily.

basically - and i know you know this - candida can exist anywhere from your stomach, to your mouth, to ... other places. i feel that natural treatments are always better than antifungals/antibacterials/etc. often times candida is a symptom of low stomach acid. essentially, your stomach doesn't produce enough acid so the pH level of the gut is high enough that the candida can survive. By supplementing with HCL and probiotics, you can kill the candida by lowering the pH of the stomach while simultaneously repopulating the stomach with those good lil' bacteria.

if your problem was candida in another area of the body, i'm less well versed... (ie: not at all versed) in how to deal with it... however a wise old doctor (Hippocrates) once said that all diseases can be traced back to the gut - and I tend to believe that's true.

Lol. Not that I'd been embarassed to have thrush but the usual symptom I get is skin rashes on my face and hands that are red and itchy beyond belief.

The biomedical treatment is the same either way - a single dose of antifungal tablet.

I'll definitely look into the food alternatives but have to admit popping a probiotic pill is easy (and keeps well in the cupboard, although I have also tried VSL#3 in the past but it's too expensive and needs to be refridgerated).
    Options
    You know, have you tried using virgin coconut oil on the skin rash? It is a natural anti-fungal. I can say it works on an itch at the very least. I had some itchy places that improved 100% after applying coconut oil. It only takes a teensy bit. You would be surprised in fact how far a pea sized dallop of coconut oil goes. I have used it on my entire face to remove makeup. A jar may cost you about 7-10 dollars depending on the store.
  • SRH7
    Options
    You know, have you tried using virgin coconut oil on the skin rash? It is a natural anti-fungal. I can say it works on an itch at the very least. I had some itchy places that improved 100% after applying coconut oil. It only takes a teensy bit. You would be surprised in fact how far a pea sized dallop of coconut oil goes. I have used it on my entire face to remove makeup. A jar may cost you about 7-10 dollars depending on the store.

Hmmmmm, I use it in my coffee ,for cooking and on my hair as a conditioner. Had never thought of it on the rash!
    Options

Hmmmmm, I use it in my coffee ,for cooking and on my hair as a conditioner. Had never thought of it on the rash!

Well give it a whirl. Let me know how it works for you!
  • sloew
    sloew Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I battle with this and notice flare ups after going overboard on sugar or caffeine. After about a week on suppliments and cutting as much sugar and caffeine as possible I can tell a huge difference.

I was just reading that Lemon water and Apple Cider Vinegar help with the PH balance to fight the candida.

What's sad is last time I had a huge flare up I went to the dr about it and since I didn't have any obvious signs showing on the outside they literally laughed at me like I was crazy and for someone who has been through the emotions of Candida, I already felt like I was going crazy! :/ Needless to say unless I have external symptoms I treat mine naturally.

Diet is the best way I've found in keeping it under control.
  • luvred51
    luvred51 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Bump
    Options
    I battle with this and notice flare ups after going overboard on sugar or caffeine. After about a week on suppliments and cutting as much sugar and caffeine as possible I can tell a huge difference.

I was just reading that Lemon water and Apple Cider Vinegar help with the PH balance to fight the candida.

What's sad is last time I had a huge flare up I went to the dr about it and since I didn't have any obvious signs showing on the outside they literally laughed at me like I was crazy and for someone who has been through the emotions of Candida, I already felt like I was going crazy! :/ Needless to say unless I have external symptoms I treat mine naturally.

Diet is the best way I've found in keeping it under control.

I heard about the lemon water and apple cider vinegar, but I have not tried them.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    "candidiasis hypersensitivity" is a condition dreamed up by questionable practitioners.
    Can you give any reputable sources to show it even exists?

http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/candida.html
    Options
    "candidiasis hypersensitivity" is a condition dreamed up by questionable practitioners.
    Can you give any reputable sources to show it even exists?

http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/candida.html
    Who said anything about a candida hypersensitivity? We are talking about the overgrowth within the digestive tract and systemic candida. I don't think it is a coincidence that after I began the diet many of my nuisances went away. I went off the diet at easter and they came right back.
  • GrannyGwen1
    GrannyGwen1 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • castelluzzo99
    castelluzzo99 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I've never done it, but I know of people who have had success with adding in Candex (an enzyme that eats the yeast cell walls and destroys them) along with the diet. You might want to try that, in addition to what you are already doing.
  • castelluzzo99
    castelluzzo99 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    BTW, if kefir helps, you should get some grains (starter) and make it yourself. It's *way* cheaper that way, and easier than making yogurt (since it works at room temperature).