Have you lost your big belly? What did you do?

Options

Replies

• sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    still have some to lose but getting there now....just really watching calories, drinking more water than could normally stand, and weight lifting. Kettlebells helps alot. I like the Kettlenetics one. And the Crunch Total Body Resculpt, and Jari Love Get Extremely Ripped 1000.
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    My belly is by no means flat yet - it's my last area to go....

But here are the things that have worked for me so far:

- Cutting down on sugar
    - Drinking loads and loads of water
    - Cutting down on salt
    - Sticking to a healthy calorie deficit until I reach my goal weight i.e patiently reducing my overall body fat level
  • ElenakiFra
    ElenakiFra Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Along with 17 kgs i lost my big belly too.One word: Turbofire.
    The only thing that left is a little bit on my lower stomach and it will get totally flat!
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Ok folks. I have lost 24 LBS, but I've GOT to get rid of this big belly. Any ladies who have lost their big belly care to share some tips with me?

I have lost approximately ten inches from my waist in the 54 pounds that I have lost so far. I don't eat any sugary foods and I don't eat wheat. I began with restricting sugar first (about three years ago), but it does seem that my belly has shrunk more per pound since I cut out the wheat (a little less than a year ago) after I read the book, "Wheat Belly". I do eat some whole grain, but pretty sparingly. Most of my carbs come from vegetables. When people ask how I lost so much weight (I have REALLY changed shape) they always grimace when I get to telling them about eating a lot of vegetables. Most people don't like them. I hastily reassure them by telling them that I used to hate them too. I tell them that, interestingly, now that sugar and wheat are out, I find that I quite enjoy the vegetables that I eat. Sugar and wheat seem to somehow interfere with the body's self-regulating (at least for me). My health has greatly improved since I got off of them. Blood pressure has returned to normal (and I was on two blood pressure meds before that), fasting blood sugar is now normal as well as A1C and triglycerides are now normal. My cholesterol is normal as well. Even my arthritis has vastly improved. :-)
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Eat a caloric deficit and make sure you're getting enough protein, strength train (the compound lifting advice is good, even if you think that dude's a tool), do a bit of HIIT here and there. That's it.

If you've got any sort of food allergies/sensitivities, you definitely should be mindful of those things and eat accordingly.
  • SoozeE512
    SoozeE512 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Whenever I've lost weight all over, I've lost weight in my belly. I don't think 'cutting carbs' has anything to do with it unless you really eat carbs in excess. Reducing calories and increasing exercise (both cardio and strength training) has always worked best for me. Drinking lots of water also helps.
  • pwittek10
    pwittek10 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    walking!
    I lost my fat *kitten* too!
    I would never have believed it would happen!
  • Bigbluefrog
    Bigbluefrog Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hip hop abs with Shaun T, it is fun and a good workout,
    Really targets the abs:smile:
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    Seems to me like its mostly about losing the fat. When you get close to your ultimate goal weight you will like your belly.

Yeah, its good you lost 24 lbs but if youre still overweight/obese the tummy will likely be there. You might need to lose more fat before it goes
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Diet and exercise..

your body will drop the belly fat when it's good and ready..

I wish mine would decide to drop it already too, but I'm running out of fat elsewhere, so it's gonna have to go soon! LOL
  • action_figure
    action_figure Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I haven't lost my big belly completely yet, but I did trade it in for a smaller one along the way. Does that count? And it's all down to eat less, eat better, move more.
  • jbruced
    jbruced Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Ok folks. I have lost 24 LBS, but I've GOT to get rid of this big belly. Any ladies who have lost their big belly care to share some tips with me?

I have lost approximately ten inches from my waist in the 54 pounds that I have lost so far. I don't eat any sugary foods and I don't eat wheat. I began with restricting sugar first (about three years ago), but it does seem that my belly has shrunk more per pound since I cut out the wheat (a little less than a year ago) after I read the book, "Wheat Belly". I do eat some whole grain, but pretty sparingly. Most of my carbs come from vegetables. When people ask how I lost so much weight (I have REALLY changed shape) they always grimace when I get to telling them about eating a lot of vegetables. Most people don't like them. I hastily reassure them by telling them that I used to hate them too. I
    tell them that, interestingly, now that sugar and wheat are out, I find that I quite enjoy the vegetables that I eat. Sugar and wheat seem to somehow interfere with the body's self-regulating (at least for me). My health has greatly improved since I got off of them. Blood pressure has returned to normal (and I was on two blood pressure meds before that), fasting blood sugar is now normal as well as A1C and triglycerides are now normal. My cholesterol is normal as well. Even my arthritis has vastly improved. :-)
    I have had the same response you, although I cut out the sugar back in the ' 70's. This year I cut out nearly all starchy foods and have lost
    28 lbs since Jan 1st with little effort. In early February I read wheat belly. In my opinion, what he says about wheat is really about starchy foods.
  • LilEmm
    LilEmm Posts: 240
    Options
    I second the Wheat Belly Book!
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

I have lost approximately ten inches from my waist in the 54 pounds that I have lost so far. I don't eat any sugary foods and I don't eat wheat. I began with restricting sugar first (about three years ago), but it does seem that my belly has shrunk more per pound since I cut out the wheat (a little less than a year ago) after I read the book, "Wheat Belly". I do eat some whole grain, but pretty sparingly. Most of my carbs come from vegetables. When people ask how I lost so much weight (I have REALLY changed shape) they always grimace when I get to telling them about eating a lot of vegetables. Most people don't like them. I hastily reassure them by telling them that I used to hate them too. I
    tell them that, interestingly, now that sugar and wheat are out, I find that I quite enjoy the vegetables that I eat. Sugar and wheat seem to somehow interfere with the body's self-regulating (at least for me). My health has greatly improved since I got off of them. Blood pressure has returned to normal (and I was on two blood pressure meds before that), fasting blood sugar is now normal as well as A1C and triglycerides are now normal. My cholesterol is normal as well. Even my arthritis has vastly improved. :-)
    I have had the same response you, although I cut out the sugar back in the ' 70's. This year I cut out nearly all starchy foods and have lost
    28 lbs since Jan 1st with little effort. In early February I read wheat belly. In my opinion, what he says about wheat is really about starchy foods.

Yes, I would agree that all carbohydrates are problematic for many obese folk because they raise blood sugar faster and higher than proteins and fat.
  • MeIShouldB
    MeIShouldB Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Seems to me like its mostly about losing the fat. When you get close to your ultimate goal weight you will like your belly.

Yeah, its good you lost 24 lbs but if youre still overweight/obese the tummy will likely be there. You might need to lose more fat before it goes

Good point
  • chymerra
    chymerra Posts: 212
    Options
    belly fat is made in the kitchen so diet is everything! you have to eat clean and within your caloric intake for weight loss in order to get rid of belly fat.

combine that with HIIT cardio and strength training and you'll see the weight come off. it takes a while though since belly fat is usually the last and hardest to lose.
  • MeIShouldB
    MeIShouldB Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    B&A in profile. 170 to 128 after 3 kids in 3 years (my oldest is almost 4, my youngest will be 10 months next week). I eat a 10-20% cut of my TDEE (all foods in moderation, try to make good choices most of the time but also eat all my favorites too - wine and ice cream and McDonalds on occasion). I also do a mix of Jillian Michaels and Leslie Sansone videos at home. I've been through the 30 Day Shred & Ripped in 30 and now alternate several of her videos with Leslie's walking aerobics. It's just slowly come off as I've lost the weight, slow but steady!

Something has to be wrong. 2 sites told me my TDEE is 2961. and I took 20 percent and it's coming out to 592
  • mnfrank11
    mnfrank11 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    B&A in profile. 170 to 128 after 3 kids in 3 years (my oldest is almost 4, my youngest will be 10 months next week). I eat a 10-20% cut of my TDEE (all foods in moderation, try to make good choices most of the time but also eat all my favorites too - wine and ice cream and McDonalds on occasion). I also do a mix of Jillian Michaels and Leslie Sansone videos at home. I've been through the 30 Day Shred & Ripped in 30 and now alternate several of her videos with Leslie's walking aerobics. It's just slowly come off as I've lost the weight, slow but steady!

Something has to be wrong. 2 sites told me my TDEE is 2961. and I took 20 percent and it's coming out to 592

Cut 20% from your TDEE.... not 20% of the total. so essentially you will be eating 80%
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    I've lost 14 inches off my waist by restricting carbs to between 70 and 100 grams per day, avoiding all added sugar, doing a bit of cardio and lifting weights. Lifting weights is amazing in the way that it whittles off body fat.
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    You need to have a strong back to have a strong abdominal area.

You need deadlifts and squats... you need to lift in other words.

I never had a "big belly" but my waist was bigger then I wanted it to be and I was never able to lose the belly fat because my back was weak.

Remember your CORE is your back and your stomach!!!!