One day

Options
TamTastic
TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
Hey all,

Yesterday I had a 24 hour flu of some sort. I tried to get a little food in my stomach because it was the type that if it was completely empty it felt worse...but I barely had an appetite. I know my calorie count was technically "starvation mode". That one day won't affect my metabolism will it??

I am just so careful about eating the right amount. Not too few or too many calories, so yesterday threw me!

Thanks!
Tami

Replies

• TamTastic
    Options
    Hey all,

Yesterday I had a 24 hour flu of some sort. I tried to get a little food in my stomach because it was the type that if it was completely empty it felt worse...but I barely had an appetite. I know my calorie count was technically "starvation mode". That one day won't affect my metabolism will it??

I am just so careful about eating the right amount. Not too few or too many calories, so yesterday threw me!

Thanks!
    Tami
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    Don't worry, once you're eating again your body will get back on track.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    Nah, 1 day won't kill ya, even 2 or 3 is usually ok. Your body will think long term, if you stay below the calories you need to function normally for a week or two, your body will start to convert to starvation mode.

This is something a lot of people fail to realize so I don't mind reminding everyone. Our bodies don't think in terms of absolutes. I.E. it doesn't switch on maintenance or starvation all at once, it's kind of like slowly turning the water off in the sink, your body will turn, ever so slowly, reducing the energy consumption, until it is finally down to a trickle, all the while pulling energy from lean tissue at a higher and higher rate. Why? Because once your body recognizes that you aren't receiving enough fuel to maintain it's current activity level, it will see excess muscle as A) a food source, and B) a drain on resources it doesn't think you have in reserve. It will also start looking at fat as the last line of defense between you and death by starvation so it will store every single little bit of left over energy as fat.

Does this make sense?
  • TamTastic
    Options
    Yes, it all makes sense. I didn't THINK one day would be a huge deal, but I just wanted to double check. Thanks Banks!!