how long for your metabolism to stabolize after being in sta

sky379
sky379 Posts: 46
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
/\
correct spelling to stabilize (whoops)

I know that it depends on the individual, but I wanted to hear feedback from people who were in starvation mode and then started eating the right amount of calories. Did you gain weight at first? How long did it take for your metabolism to stabilize in order to correctly lose weight?

I wasn't starving myself per say, but for the last year (or so) I had been burning ALOT more calories than I was taking in. My body definetely went into starvation mode because I wasn't eating enough for the amount of calories I was burning (so dumn, and I wish I understood what starvation mode was). So of course, I gained weight instead of losing it.

I've been on MFP for about 2 weeks or so and finally understand the concept of eating exercise calories, but I also heard that when your body does consume the correct amount of calories you will gain some weight until your metabolism stabilizes, so I wanted to hear back from people who were in similar situation as me and how long it took until you were properly able to lose weight?

Thanks for the advice!

Replies

• Avandel
    Avandel Posts: 283 Member
    Well, let's see now, I was eating 1200 cals a day & working out 2 hrs a day 5 days a week before I hit a plateau, (yeah! I know, stupid!) that was Mar. 2009. I had read that it could take months to get off the plateau & that I would also gain before I would start losing again. I started eating 1500 cals a day based on maintaining the weight I was at & slowed down on the workouts. I didn't start gaining weight until Nov 2009, then gained 14 lbs in 4 months. Now I've been losing & gaining the same 1.5 lbs in the last 3 weeks so it's anyone's guess as to how long it takes to get moving again, because I'm still waiting.

Hopefully it won't take you as long as it's taking me!

Good luck!

151232.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
This discussion has been closed.