exercise calories?

Options
do i need to eat the calories i earned back from exercise?

Replies

• BrittneyT2
    BrittneyT2 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I think you're supposed to because MFP gives you a "net" calorie goal. However I'm always unsure of the accuracy of the exercise calories, so I rarely eat them all back, I'll usually eat back about half of them unless I'm just not feeling hungry.
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    If you feel hungry after working out, eat enough of those calories back to feel satisfied.

If you don't feel hungry, though, why eat?
  • LazyGuy91
    LazyGuy91 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to lose a massive amount of weight, so I don't try to eat back any of the calories I burn. Right now I'm capped at 1,960 so I just try to stay under that.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I was thinking that, whether you workout or not, you are always burning calories throughout the day. So, if you figure out your BMR and then divide by the minutes in a day (1440) you get how many calories per minute you burn at rest. Subtract those from your exercise calories. You can eat that many back.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    If you are following MFP, YES eat your exercise cals, if you are following some other method then probably not.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    If you're following the MFP plan, yes...you do. I do. It works. A deficit is built in to your calorie goal, you don't need to go lower to lose. If you're folllowing a bmr/tdee plan, then I understand that you don't. Just remember to eat enough healthy food....undernourishing your body leads to problems and failure.
  • Cat_Lifts
    Cat_Lifts Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Are you currently at a deficit in calories from your maintenance goal? If yes, eat back 80% - 100% of them.
    Are you splitting your deficit half food/half working out? Meaning, for example, you want a deficit of 500 calories a day - you burn 250 from exercise, and cut 250 from consuming. Then consume x (the amount you burned total) - 250 exercise calories you are incorporating into your deficit. Meaning,

500 calories total burned at exercise - 250 calories = 250 exercise calories to consume.
    350 calories total burned at exercise - 250 calories = 100 exercise calories to consume.

I think I worded that correctly... if not, someone fix it! 8)
  • Iamworthinvestingin
    Iamworthinvestingin Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I am only giving you the advice my nutritionist gave me - She said I must do my best to meet my DAILY caloric intake - not to eat the daily amount could put my body into starvation mode and I will not be able to loose the weight - however, if I exercise, I do not have to consume the extra calories - UNLESS my body is calling for it- If you eat the extra carolies, you will ,maintain your weight - if you don't eat the extra calories, you will loose more weight-