what can i drink for breakfast?

Options
Help! :sad:

I having given up pop (for the most part) and have pretty much switched to water. Just plain water - not into flavored water.
However, I am struggling with water at breakfast *yuck* :sick:
I drank 1% milk yesterday but a large glass put me at 200 cal.
Today I had apple juice - another 200 cal
The tropicana orange juice here at work is 220 cal.

Any suggestions on a good tasting low cal drink for the AM?

BTW - no coffee or tea.

Replies

• Deeterz
    Deeterz Posts: 17
    Options

I having given up pop (for the most part) and have pretty much switched to water. Just plain water - not into flavored water.

BTW - no coffee or tea.
  • bjigglepants
    Options
    i've been drinking a glass of Plum Smart at breakfast. not only does it help you get your fiber, but it's full of antioxidants (you can also drink pomegranate juice, grape juice as well..make sure it's 100% juice.) as well. and you get a full fruit serving for the day.

good luck!
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    I guess it all depends on what you like. If you aren't into water in the morning, maybe tea? there are some good tea's out there. Ahh, if you're not a traditionalist, diet ginerale works, or club soda with a splash of fruit juice (any).
  • danasinciline
    danasinciline Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Are you opposed to skim milk? If you don't like the wateriness of skim milk, you can try what's called "Super Skim", which has an added thickening agent to make it taste just like 2%. Some stores now even sell 1/2% milk which, to me, tastes the same as 1%. Every little decrease in fat reduces total calories. If you like juice, there are many available that are sweetened with Splenda. And some juices are so sweet that you can mix them half & half with water.
  • julie737
    julie737 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    If you're avoiding artificial sweeteners these suggestions won't work, but I like the Sugar-Free Alpine Spiced Cider, which is 15 cals per packet. There's also low-cal orange juice. I'm not exactly sure on the calories, but somewhere around 50 cals per cup. They also have lots ot other low-cal juice options, which I think are all sweetened with aspartame or Splenda. Also could try diet hot cocoa. Swiss Miss is 25 cals per packet. Crystal Light isn't really flavored water, you might try that, even. My husband even warms it up on cold days. You could also work in a breakfast shake--it would double as a drink and breakfast. Make it with frozen fruit, fat-free yogurt, a little bit of OJ or skim milk, etc. If those choices don't work, you may have to switch to skim milk, which is still 80 cals per cup, unless some smart person out there has some other suggestions.

Good luck!
  • Jayberian
    Jayberian Posts: 60
    Options
    uh oh, i drink 2% milk with my breakfast, is this bad? :noway:
  • areay
    areay Posts: 463
    Options
    Over the past years, I've had to train myself from going from whole milk, to 2% and now I drink skim! 1 cup of skim milk is only 90 cals. and it has NO FAT! It's a good filler in the morning
  • briblue72
    briblue72 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    some of the 100% juice boxes only have 100 calories in them. low on calories, high in vitamin C and taste!
  • lilmandy89
    lilmandy89 Posts: 323 Member
    Options

I drink 2% as well, but as long as you fit it into your daily calories and fat then its fine
  • Joi67
    Joi67 Posts: 5
    Options
    Plum Smart Light is great. Also maybe try the Diet V8 Splash. It comes in Berry Blend and Tropical Fruit and only has 10 calories a glass and 100% of your daily vitamins A and C.
  • Jayberian
    Jayberian Posts: 60
    Options

I drink 2% as well, but as long as you fit it into your daily calories and fat then its fine

whew! thanks! i'm still just a tad under my calories and have lost 1 pound this week, so i guess i'm doing okay!

Joi67 is right about the Diet V8 Splash! Those are good, too!
  • cobra1368
    cobra1368 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Something that I drink in small quantities in the morning that is chock full of antioxidants and really good for you is 100% pomegranate juice. If you like cranberry juice, it is like that.
  • wildcatmom2u
    Options
    I drink a can of slimfast 190 calories but it fills me up til lunchtime.
  • filergirl
    filergirl Posts: 240
    Options
    You could also make yourself a shake, using lowfat yogurt, some fresh (or frozen) berries, and a pinch of something healthy like flax or whey protein. The "liquid yoga" drink at a Canadian chain called Fresh is similar to this and fills me up all morning.
  • Erica92627
    Erica92627 Posts: 576
    Options

BTW - no coffee or tea.

Target (or you can get them at any store) is cheaper when it comes to Tropicana (8 oz ) orange juice. You get six for a little over $3 sure you can get the big one too, but the little ones are great to take to work. It is only 110 calories. You get 6, so that gives you your juice for the week and one serving!
    Sounds like the one at work is 2 servings. Drink half, put the other half for later in the day... or even tomorow.
  • Erica92627
    Erica92627 Posts: 576
    Options
    some of the 100% juice boxes only have 100 calories in them. low on calories, high in vitamin C and taste!

That is true.. but I've seen a lot of those that are high in sugar. You have to be careful on that one.

We have to watch for pure and natural. :smile:
  • Deeterz
    Options
    I dont know if its BAD - cause its milk
    i just know that my 1% added 200 cals to my breakfast!! :noway:
  • bjigglepants
    Options
    it depends on the type of sugar and how much of which is added. if it's refined, then it's bad for you.
  • emtink
    emtink Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    1 bottle of pomegranate izze has 110 calories. i love izze's:heart:
  • Deeterz
    Options
    THANKS A TON TO EVERYONE

for ALL of the great suggestions - I will give some a shot on Monay! :drinker: