When is it really weight gain?

Options
I completely understand that my weight will vary from day to day from factors such as water retention, "movements" and such, but when do you know you've actually gained a couple of pounds?

I've been maintaining since November (for the most part). Since that time, I did manage to go from low 120's to the high 110's. I really liked getting below that 120 number (yes, I know it's just a number, but I liked it... a lot!). I managed to stay below 120 for probably a month and a half or so.

Then I started running more. I LOVE running. I love it a lot. I've signed up for a 5K and a 10K, and I've been working toward upping my mileage.

And I've gone up over the 120 mark again, and it's been up there for the past 2 weeks. At first, I thought water retention... blah blah blah... but the weight isn't coming back off. And it's not showing in inches, either. My waist is up an entire inch, though my hips have stayed the same.

For exercise, I run 5K 4 times a week, and on the other three days I do 35 minutes on a stationary bike at the gym followed by an hour long Pilates class.

Am I just gaining weight? How do I get rid of those extra 4-5 pounds again? I've cut calories, upped exercising (adding little extras to my main schedule above).

Or am I freaking out over nothing? (My husband just rolls his eyes at me and tells me I'm fine, but with that stupid scale number going up and up, I certainly don't feel fine!)

I don't want to end up back where I started, and we all know that weight gains start small and just keep creeping up on you until you open your eyes one day, and realize... well, you know how it goes. ;-)

Replies

• clowangel
    Options
    From the sounds of it, you may just be gaining muscle.
  • mhorn2142
    mhorn2142 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    It's probably a little water as your muscles are rebuilding, and muscle gain. I don't count any gain or loss unless it has been there for 2-3 days. Are you happy with your shape and size? If so keep up what you are doing and don't worry about the number. lol easier said then done!
  • debi_f
    debi_f Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    It's been 2 weeks... that's why I'm wondering if I've really just gained these pounds...

As for my shape and size, the simple answer is yes. For the most part, I am happy, but I'm terrified of gaining weight and ending up like I was (pushing 200 pounds). That didn't just show up overnight, either. It was a slow process that took 20 years, and I have no intention of allowing it to happen again.

Ahh! I sound crazy, I know, but when do you admit that you've gained actual weight (and that you can't just put it down to fluctuation anymore).
  • mhorn2142
    mhorn2142 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    For me if it is 3-5 days with out fluctuating I call it a loss or gain depending on which way the scale moved. Don't beat yourself up. You are working out well. Also check your diary. I had cut almost all refined carbs form my diet, and then slowly began to add them back in under the low carb brands like low carb tortillas bread or pasta, and I plateaued and gained 4 lbs. so I cut those back out and it started to fall off again. We are all different. You exercise more than I do so you may need more, but I clearly feel like I am a little gluten or carb intolerant.
  • Kim55555
    Kim55555 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    Read this. It explains what happens when first starting an exercise program.

By Dan Falkenberg
    Here’s a question I hear all the time, and to be honest, even though I know why it happens, it can still be disheartening to see your client so disappointed because after a few weeks of working out very hard, he hasn’t lost any weight but has actually gained weight instead! This may have even happened to you and left you standing on the scale with a confused look on your face. I think this is a big contributor to why so many people aren’t successful at weight loss programs. Sure, some are just plain lazy and don’t exercise with enough intensity, but some become so discouraged with the scales that they simply just give up. Whatever you do, don’t give up! Here’s why.

I hope by now that we all know that losing fat takes time and effort. For many, simply hopping onto a treadmill and walking for 20 to 30 minutes isn’t going to cut it; for a very small number of people yes, but for many no. Most of us have to have a very structured and intense program to be successful at dropping the fat.

Here’s the first step to success. Are you ready? Ignore the scale. Here’s the first step to success. Are you ready? Ignore the scale. That’s right. Don’t even step onto a scale for the first month of your exercise program. I know it’ll be hard, but don’t do it. I know some of you are scale addicts; well, consider this Day 1 of your scale detox program. Remember, a successful “weight” loss program is based on the number of lbs. of fat burned off, not the number of overall lbs. burned off. This is why you see programs out there that guarantee 6 lbs. lost in 6 days. You know what they’re guaranteeing? They’re guaranteeing an eventual 6-10, or more, lbs. being put back on.

The “yo-yo” effect, I’m sure a lot of you have heard of it before. The “yo-yo” effect is when your body loses weight, then gains weight, then loses weight, and so on. That’s what these types of guarantees are. Sure, some overly obese individuals can lose more than 2 lbs. of fat in a week, but the majority can’t. Losing 6 lbs. is mostly muscle and water, which is a horrible thing. Muscle is vital to your body, so when it loses it, it wants to get it right back, and a lot of times, it’ll put muscle back on and bring excess fat storage with it. This can leave you having more body fat than when you originally started a “weight” loss program.

Alright, so we’ve established that all weight is not the same. Losing a pound of muscle isn’t good for the body, while losing a pound of fat is (in most cases). Also, hopefully it’s clear why scales aren’t always the best indicator of fat loss. When I evaluate a client’s success, figuring out her body fat percentage is a lot more meaningful to me than seeing the number on the scale. If her body fat stays the same, but she’s smaller on the scale, then that tells me she’s either lost muscle or water. If her body fat is the same, but she’s bigger on the scale, then that tells me that she most likely is retaining water. When both her body fat percentage and weight on the scale drop, then I know that she’s actually losing body fat and achieving success.

For every gram of glycogen stored, approximately 3 grams of water are stored with it. For those of you who can’t seem to shake your scale addiction, here’s why you need to be prepared for what you’ll see at the start of your weight loss program.

Like I said earlier, it can be very discouraging when you step onto the scale and see that you haven’t lost any weight and may have evened gained weight. As long as you don’t give up and are doing the right things with eating right and working out hard enough, your body fat will slowly start to come off. You just need to be patient. Don’t give up.

When you first start an exercise program, your body is basically thrown a curve ball. Your body is used to having to use a certain amount of energy throughout the day, but now that you’re exercising, your body figures out that it needs a greater energy supply. So what happens?

If you remember, your body’s source of energy comes from glucose. Carbohydrates are broken down into glucose, the glucose is used to make energy, and your body performs how it needs to. Well, your body also has a “reserve tank” for excess glucose. Instead of storing all the excess glucose as fat, your body stores some of the excess glucose in an easier form to break down for energy; it’s called glycogen. Glycogen is long chains of glucose molecules that are stored in our muscles and liver.

Working out too intensely can cause muscle tears to become overly inflamed to the point where the mini-tears start to swell with fluid. Your body adapts to how much glycogen it needs to store in order to have enough “energy” on stand-by for when your blood sugar starts to drop because there isn’t enough glucose in the bloodstream from the food you last ate. When we start to exercise, our bodies require more energy and become more efficient at getting that energy, so as a result, our bodies start to store more glycogen. Here’s the kicker. For every gram of glycogen stored, approximately 3 grams of water are stored with it. This means that now your body has a larger amount of water and glycogen stored in the muscles and liver, and as a result, your body weight can go up by a few lbs.

Picture a piece of bread or pasta noodle. What happens when you put them in water? They’re like sponges. They soak up the water and expand. The same can be said with glycogen. Glycogen is a carb, and it sucks up water just like any other carb.

Here’s another culprit. If you go from not working out to working out very hard, your muscles will most likely be sore for the next 2 or 3 days. This is because when you work out, you essentially create mini-tears in your muscles. Working out too intensely can cause these tears to become overly inflamed to the point where the mini-tears start to swell with fluid. This excess fluid in the muscles can cause an initial, excess weight gain. By starting out an exercise program slowly and working your way up, you reduce the likelihood of tearing your muscles too much. To some extent, though, muscle soreness will occur when you first start exercising, but the amount of soreness and inflammation can be controlled by gradually working into a fitness program.

If you continue to stick to your weight loss program and don’t become discouraged by the initial weight gain that may result, you’ll slowly start to see the weight come off for good. Rest assured, even though you may be retaining water during that first month of working out, your body is still burning off fat. After a month’s time, that excess water weight and glycogen will still be there, but your body will have started to burn off enough fat to overcome the water weight gains, and you’ll start to see a difference on the scale.

I’m going to go out on a limb here and say that the individuals who are the most successful with permanent weight loss are those who don’t see results in the first month. One thing I’ve noticed about my most successful clients, the majority of them actually gained a pound or two during the first month of exercising. My clients who weren’t very successful were those that maintained the same weight during the first month, the second month, and so on. Why? I’d have to say it’s because my most successful clients were working so intensely that they experienced extra glycogen and water storage. My clients who wouldn’t put in the effort didn’t need extra glycogen stored, so they didn’t see any initial weight gains.

You see, my successful clients saw an extra pound or two on the scale during the first month, but as the program went on, that extra glycogen storage meant their bodies had the extra fuel to stay revved up and burning off excess calories. It also meant that of the food they ate, less was going into fat storage and more was going into “high-octane” glycogen storage. Less fat storage equals faster weight loss.

So here’s my advice. Don’t be scared of delayed results within the first month. Your body is going through an adaptation process, and it requires some time to prepare itself for its new lifestyle. Keep your exercise intensity up, your eating habits right, and you’ll slowly start to see your fat loss results overcome your new glycogen and water storage results. You’ll slowly start to see that success you set out to achieve.

Dan Falkenberg is the cofounder of Your Live Trainers. He can be reached at DanFalkenberg.com.

Join a community of readers who’ve discovered Dan’s enlightening, monthly newsletter packed full of exercise tips, healthy recipes, and exercise video demonstrations to help improve your fitness! To top it off, it’s free, and you can unsubscribe anytime.

I need your help! I'm in the process of publishing my first book, and I want to hear from you. If you were to buy a health and fitness book, what would you want in it? What areas of health and fitness would you want it to talk about? How many pages would you want the book to be? Any feedback you could give in the comments section would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, and have a great day!
  • debi_f
    Options
    Thanks so much for that article (and all the encouragement...)

I changed my lifestyle 13 months ago (Feb 2012), and I've been exercising since then. I did a lot of biking over the summer (and in the gym when the weather got bad). The Pilates classes started back in July (and I absolutely LOVE the way I feel after a class -- so much more flexible and relaxed).

I ran the first time back in November, but with the weather really getting cold (okay, not as cold as the majority of Northern US, but nasty for Holland!), so running was sporadic at first... maybe only 1 or 2 times a week. After the beginning of the year, though, I really started getting into it. I'm now running 4 times a week and LOVING it! It makes me feel strong, and there's nothing like that runner's high, let me tell you!

Back in November, before I started running, I had my BF% calculated at my gym. While I'm not convinced the number is 100% accurate, the trainer said my BF was 16%. (Realistically, I think it's more like 20%.) My legs are getting stronger and more defined. My abdomen is also getting stronger and more defined (though after 3 babies and all those years of being overweight, I'm definitely not planning on wearing a bikini anytime soon... or ever).

But all the numbers are going up! Just since Jan, I've gained 4.5 pounds, 3/4 inch in my waist, 1 inch in my hips and 1/2 inch in each of my thighs! Ahhh!

Of course, I'm not giving up, though. I feel too good to do that, but I sure like those smaller numbers better than these bigger ones. ;-)

On a side note: I eat low carb and try to keep my daily net carbs under 30 grams/day. Most of the time, I can do that. This week I met some friends for tea and had a piece of cake. While I kept my overall calories under control, the carbs were a bit high that day. But it was only one day! (And the problem started before that day, too)
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I think when you are maintaining is is helpful to set an upper limit of weight that you are happy with. If that is 120 for you, then if you consistently are over that weight for over 2-3 weeks, then cut back a little until it is where it needs to be. Mine is 132, and I did start weighing at that or slightly above for awhile in January, so I got a little more mindful about my eating, and now am back into my normal range (128 - 131). Obviously, if your measurements aren't going up, then it may be muscle building, and don't worry about it.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    If the weight doesn't come off within a week I would count it as a gain for me personally cause I've been working out hard for years so I know its not that. I usually gain when I've eaten too much and then I usually lose it in a couple of days, so I'm pretty sure it's water retention from the extra cals-usually from eating out.
  • Kim55555
    Options
    You say:

Tummy is more defined
    Legs are more defined

But you put on scale weight

Don't worry about the scale number!!! It is possible to get leaner and put on scale weight!

Go by how you look in the mirror :)

Check out the eat more to lose weight group. I can't remember who it was but I read a thread today where a lady put on 6 pounds in 12 months but the photo of her tummy was amazing. It looked like shed lost heaps of scale weight. Keep doing exactly what u are doing. Good work!!
  • Kim55555
    Options
    I would increase the carbs though. 30 grams doesn't sound like it's enough to fuel all those workouts.

Also re: measurements, sometimes your measurements will stay the same and may even go up yet you still are losing fat and getting leaner. I can remember being surprised that my waist didn't change even though I was going down in clothes sizes. My legs increased by 3 cm's one appraisal but they looked leaner and toned.

You can still lose fat whilst eating at around the maintenance mark, which is what you are doing. You are recomping, adding LBM whilst losing fat. As evidenced by your more defined legs and tummy. :)
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    How are your inches and where? It sounds like muscle to me.
  • debi_f
    Options
    Thanks all.

I know I shouldn't freak out about it, but the number going up still... well, makes me grumpy. ;-)

I know that I'm getting stronger and leaner. My head knows it, anyway, but my gut is so afraid of expanding... and expanding... and...

I've decided to keep doing what I'm doing and hope that the numbers go back down again. But I have to admit, if they go up much more, I'm really going to lose it!
  • RumpusP
    RumpusP Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I've gotta agree with those that say that if this has occurred after just a couple weeks of upping your running habits it's likely your body adjusting to the new exercise level and type. If it keeps climbing then maybe it's otherwise gain, but I'm betting not.
  • Kim55555
    Options
    Thanks all.

I know I shouldn't freak out about it, but the number going up still... well, makes me grumpy. ;-)

I know that I'm getting stronger and leaner. My head knows it, anyway, but my gut is so afraid of expanding... and expanding... and...

I've decided to keep doing what I'm doing and hope that the numbers go back down again. But I have to admit, if they go up much more, I'm really going to lose it!

Thats great, yep keep doing what your doing, eat the same amount, exercise exactly the same. Your scale weight should even out and stabilise if your eating at tdee. See where you are in 4 weeks time on the scale. Even if the scale stayed the same weight as you are now, is that such a bad thing? Remember not to get so stuck on a number! I have to keep reminding myself too lol. You are getting leaner and because you are exercising you are adding lean tissue (not just lean muscle but other lbm too) Your muscles are storing glycogen and there is a lot of water retention involved with this. You might never get back into the 110's. Does that number really mean something to you.

There is one way though of going lower on the scale. Ditch all exercise be sendentary, you will lose muscle, put on fat. Sure you will be lower on the scale, you will lose the definition and the nice muscle tone. Is that what you want! I always thought 57 was my dream goal weight but now i'm not so sure i'll get back to that number and be able to maintain it. With my muscle mass 59 kg might be for me i think. I'll be starting back on my cut in a weeks time so i'll see what happens.

I can understand completely where you are coming from (the whole freaking out about putting on weight and scared about when the number is going to stop and if it will stop climbing). I lost a similar amount to you. I lost the scale weight in 2 and a half years and since last August I have been recomping at a 10-20 % defecit. My scale weight was fluctuating between 57.5 - 59.5 since last August. 7 weeks ago I decided I needed a break from being in defecit and began eating above tdee to repair my metabolism. I have been experimenting to see just how much I can eat and not put on weight. I thought I had put on 2-3 kg's. I have been worried the scale will keep climbing too. At the highest it got to 60.8.

:)

I've been freaking out too these past 7 weeks. I'm doing a metabolism reset the past 7 weeks and my scale weight has gone up i thought by 2-3 kg's. I purposely have been eating above tdee to boost my metabolism. My resting metabolic rate was just 870 seven weeks ago and when i had it retested after 5 weeks my resting metabolic rate was around 1500. Trouble is now that i'm eating higher than tdee i'm finding it tough to eat at tdee haha. I think my body mustve needed extra. I have to really lower my calories a bit. I'm aiming for close to 2500 calories most days now, but some days i eat between 2500 - 3000.

I had an interesting appraisal today. Since January 8th I have put on just 1 kg, and that is eating above tdee ! Wow I thought I had put on a lot more than that.

Because i was lifting heavy i put on 1 cm on my arms, 2 cm on my chest which i'm not very happy about as I dont want to get to big. The great news is in that time i actually lost 1 cm off my waist and 1.5 cm's off my hips. I bought a gym workout top that was a bit too tight to wear straight away and I thought I would leave it a few months to try it on again in the hopes that it would fit better. I was thrilled that after just a few weeks it fitted me better. Even though I lost just 1cm off my waist I can see huge improvement in my tops, so much looser around my waist area.

Check out my thread here if you like.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/919536-get-your-metabolic-rate-tested-my-metabolic-reset-story

Currently I'm waiting till my scale weight stabilises before I start my cut again. I was going to start cutting come April 2nd but I've decided to wait till im sure ive stabilised first. I think I can eat a lot more to maintain than I realised. 2500 gross weekly calorie average I believe is my true tdee with my activity level.

I want to lose a bit more fat off my tummy area but this time I start my cut I'll be able to cut at a higher calorie amount than before because I have boosted my tdee. I'm taking my time doing this metabolic reset to see exaclty what my weight stabilises at to find out just how much my tdee has been suppressed . I think I'll be able to cut at 10% defecit calorie cycling between 2000 - 2300.

Let me know how you get on!
  • debi_f
    Options
    Wow, Kim, you've definitely been on a journey!

I want to reset my metabolism, too, as I've been eating pretty low-cal for the last year. But with my current "weight gain," I don't want to do it now -- I couldn't emotionally handle the higher numbers just now! ;-)

But we'll see how things go. Yep. Hanging in there... ;-)
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    to tell if you're actually losing or gaining weight as opposed to day to day fluctations, weigh yourself once a week in the same circumstances, e.g. every Saturday morning, after using the bathroom, before eating breakfast.

this won't eliminate all water weight fluctuations (e.g. if you had a high sodium meal the night before you'll have more water in your system) but it will give you a more reliable estimate of actually weight loss or gain. Also, look for a trend over time rather than freaking out over sudden fluctuations. If you did have a high sodium meal and the next day you're 2lb heavier than expected, you could try weighing yourself the next morning after a day of eating healthy foods and drinking plenty of water. YOu may see your weight go back to where you expected it to be then.

Also, what the above posters said about the muscles retaining water and glycogen from exercise. If you are losing or gaining fat, you should be able to either see this in the mirror or in the tape measure or how your clothes fit. Gaining fat = gaining inches (somewhere, it's hard to tell where sometimes). Losing fat = losing inches (again, hard to tell where) - taking a range of circumference measurements, plus looking at yourself in the mirror (and taking pics for future reference), plus observing how your clothes fit can indicate whether you're losing or gaining actual fat.

Body fat percentage is important to focus on. Although it can be tricky finding out the absolute value, you can use more than one method to get a reasonable estimate, and also use the same method consistently to track progress, even if it's not 100% accurate. Leigh Peele's blog has really good info on body fat percentage.
  • mimiwin
    mimiwin Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Th problem is in your head and the way you view weight gain ( This post is close to my heart as I used to be the same ). From everything you are saying you are doing it all right !! Eat clean most of the time ( life must be enjoyed too ) and exercise quite a lot.

I gained weight as well from all the exercise I do but my body is much firmer and leaner tahn it used to be when the number was smaller. When you build muscle this is what will happen.

Use your common sense too if you look in the mirror and what you see is firm and lean + you know the difference between your old eating habits and your new ones. ( I think if you got back to that old pattern of eating you would know it ) You are not !! :)

Your body is changing, the scale has never been a good evaluation of one's body/ health... I hope what I am saying make some sense to you and that you start appreciating your body now !!! and appreciating what you do and who you are now !!! Fear is a negative feeling and I believe you are never going back to the old you so rejoice and enjoy the fact that you are getting stronger and leaner no matter what the scale says !!!

You should probably throw the scale away :) Trust yourself and your hard work !!! You are beautiful and dedicated !! Now enjoy and have fun with your life !!! :)
  • RoseDarrett
    RoseDarrett Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    BUMP.
  • debi_f
    Options
    Thank you neandermagnon and mimiwin.

I do know that I'm eating healthier and smarter, and I've definitely been working out! (7 days a week).

I think I have officially gained weight (since it's been there for a good two weeks now), and while I don't like it, I believe it's not "fat." I can feel the muscle and the tightness. But to me, I keep thinking I look bigger, because the number is bigger. (Not huge or anything... just "bigger.")
  • mimiwin
    mimiwin Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    This mean you must re-train your mental as much as your body :) You need to start telling the little voice ( just an old habit ) gently that now is different. Maybe try to think about what you would say if you were talking to your best friend instead of yourself... Fear is not a good adviser. I agree you must stay on track but you must work on the mental /emotional side of things too so you can enjoy and truly move on happily.

Muscle is good regardless of the number going up !! The scale is our worst ennemy. Taking your measurement is the best way to keep track !!

Just to give some reassurance : I used to weight as low as 54 kilos for 1m 63 I am now 59 kilos and look much slimmer and fit than when I was 54 kilos ( a lot less kilos ) but at 54 kilos the number was lower but I had more fat on me and therefore I would much rather look like I do now and the number being higher :-p

So muscle weight more but you look better :)

Wishing you the best and glad I could maybe help you stress less about it but ultimately I am sure you just need time to get your head around it and then you will see it is defo nothing to worry about.