Getting too big - I have to lay off the heavy weights

Options
13»

Replies

• Kim55555
    Kim55555 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    I'm not liking the way i'm looking. Getting too big!! and yes females can put on muscle ;)

I have been eating more than my TDEE as I have started maintenance.

There's the problem right there.

Why are you eating above maintenance if you are starting to maintain?

check out my thread for the answer. i've been experimenting.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/919536-get-your-metabolic-rate-tested-my-metabolic-reset-story
  • redraider08
    redraider08 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I would place a bet that most of your bulk is fat...[\quote]

I would have stopped there.
    You will not have built that much muscle lifting heavy. If you are building any then you're likely eating above maintenance. Do you want to lose fat%? If so, go in a deficit. If not, stay in maintenance. This whole "light weight, low reps" to tone, not build is BS. It really is.

This.^
    Personal experience:

Started lifting heavy, wasn't watching what I was eating (likely a surplus) - Gained weight, looked a little "bulky" (fat and a little muscle)

Started watching what I ate, eating in a small deficit to lose fat, continued lifting heavy - Lost fat, got smaller, got stronger. Didn't gain any muscle. Didn't look bulky.

Wow... you're on a roll.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options

Also, please stop blaming lifting for something that's more than likely the result of your diet, not your lifting. This is why heavy lifting gets a bad rap in female circles and why more women don't do it. False conclusions and misplaced blame.

Let them keep believing that; I enjoy being the only female in the weight room :laugh:
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    It's funny you post this now. I was just thinking of posting how much I love strength training because I lost .5 lbs this week while not paying enough attention to attending to a deficit and having a pretty bad day Saturday. I agree with those who suggest a slight decrease in calories rather than losing the progress you've made and having to take a break on something you love.