Anyone here not count calories at all?

If so, do you still reach your goals? What do you focus on if youre not counting calories?

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,144 Member
    I don't count anymore, and it's more because I know approx how many calories I'm consuming at any given time. Right now I'm trying to add muscle so I'm eating more than normal and I just check the mirror to make adjustments going forward and do the same when I lose weight.
  • jbruced
    jbruced Posts: 210 Member
    I don't count calories, but I am mindful of what and how much I eat.
  • trainguy917
    trainguy917 Posts: 366 Member
    I counted for several months, but don't anymore. Partly it's because I just eat healthfully and have a good idea of how much food is enough now. It's also partly because I work out like a fiend and burn so many calories it's hard to eat them all back.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    I don't count calories if I want to maintain, because I seem to naturally eat my TDEE calories if I follow my body's hunger and full signals.

However for bulking and cutting I track calories, because otherwise I'd eat my TDEE calories and fail at either.
  • Lauren8239
    Lauren8239 Posts: 1,039 Member
    I stopped counting, logging my food and logging exercise. I found I was obsessing over the numbers and it drove me to under eat. It worked for me and I feel so much better. I just listen to my body, I eat when I'm hungry and I don't overdo the exercise any more. I trust my body to know what's best. So far....success! :smile:
  • I don't count calories, but I am mindful of what and how much I eat.

This is me too. Also I eat a lot of the same things throughout the week days so I have come to know the calories in what i am eating.
  • AnabolicKyle
    AnabolicKyle Posts: 489 Member
    i dont, but iam trying to gain weight; so its not a big deal. I always make a conscious effort (ballpark guess) to realize what iam eating though (macros/Calories).

edit

still track weight and waist measurements often.
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    I've got an idea of the relative counts of things, and I always read labels before buying something new. I ignore per-portion stats other than using them to calculate how many calories are in the whole pack and then figuring out how much of it I'm likely to eat at one sitting.

Between 5:2 fasting (where I'm pretty much into a habit for what I eat on fast days) and portion control and lots of exercise, I'm losing slowly but surely without logging calories.
  • kopmom
    kopmom Posts: 491 Member
    I do not count BUT to keep a general idea I eat most of the same meal's all the time, boring but I would rather do that then log everything.
  • peachfigs
    peachfigs Posts: 831 Member
    I stopped counting, logging my food and logging exercise. I found I was obsessing over the numbers and it drove me to under eat. It worked for me and I feel so much better. I just listen to my body, I eat when I'm hungry and I don't overdo the exercise any more. I trust my body to know what's best. So far....success! :smile:

This is the approach I'm considering, too.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    I no longer count. My tracking tolerance is about 6 months. When I first started I tracked for 6 months, then stopped tracking for six months. My weight loss continued on the same pace despite not tracking. Making healthy choices and portion control have become a habit. I think it's good to stop once in awhile to see if you can maintain healthy habits without the aid of tracking everything.
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    I didn't for the past 2 weeks.. just kind of went on a 2 week "vacation" and I gained a good amount of weight that I had worked the past 2.5 months to lose.. so it doesn't work good for me not to count. I'm getting back on track at some point this weekend... I'm still working out of course-I love working out. But it's the calorie counting that works for me to lose weight.
  • NanaWubbie
    NanaWubbie Posts: 248 Member
    Are you kidding? Is this a trick question?
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    I lost 80 lbs before I started counting calories. I've recently stopped because I just get hung up on numbers rather than eating healthily. I'm still losing weight, so I think I'll just keep up what I'm doing and forget calorie counting for now.
  • skcardiog
    skcardiog Posts: 316 Member
    Does not count calories but rather time spent lifting, rowing or biking.

Weekends equate to 2 - 3 hours a day keeping busy, so I m not too concerned about calories.
  • JENNY7634
    JENNY7634 Posts: 67 Member
    I do now but hope to stop by summer.....i think its great to do for a while to teach yourself the appropriate amounts of food. It is very time consuming for me but Ive learned so much about my eating habits. Weeks I gain i go back through my diary and make notes of what I did wrong.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Right now I'm not. I got burned out because I counted calories for months and kept losing/gaining the same 3-4 pounds.
  • lcoll12
    lcoll12 Posts: 2
    I find it neccessary for me. Seeing the numbers makes a difference. Although, my greatest success is tracking my excercise, both cardio and wieght training.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    I stopped counting them last year, and started again about a week ago, for no particular reason. I eat a lot of the same foods, in the same amounts, repeatedly, so it isn't necessary to count. I was wondering if maybe I was eating more because I wasn't logging, but that doesn't seem to be the case.
  • due to ill health and lack of mobility, I do keep an eye on my calories but just as a guide.

For me being diabetic, I use the charts for sugar, sodium and cholesterol.

For instance, I can have under 1000cal and not loose weight, yet some days I can go on a binge of ready salted crisps and actually loose a pound next morning, though not something I would recommend doing lol.

But for me staying stable, maybe loose a few extra pounds if I can, and keeping tight control of my sugar levels is my main goal, and this site and android app are helping me loads since I started few days ago;)