Adding fiber without gas?

Options
How can I add fiber to my diet without becoming a "toot machine"? Every time I've tried anything like Kashi, Fiber One, etc. it gives me horrible gas. I do drink lots of water, but it doesn't seem to help. Does it eventually go away if you keep eating it? Never tried taking fiber pills-do they do the same thing? Thanks!

Replies

• halleymw
    halleymw Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Your body would eventually become used to the fiber and produce less gas. In the meantime, fibercon (tablets) and citrucel (powder) are the least gas-prone fiber supplements.
    Mike
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    even it it with protein.. it has the opposite effect.
  • stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    you get used to it, drink a lot of water
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    when you cook dried beans, in addition to soaking, drain and rinse them several times through the cooking process.

also, I think lentils are much less gassy. I never have gas from them, but I usually don't have than problem often.
    I think it's because of the shape of the lentil, or split pea, it's faster to cook and easier to digest.
  • skinnymalinkyscot
    skinnymalinkyscot Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I try to eat a lot of fibre rich foods , but I also take a few fibre tablets everyday also, it helps me to feel full between meals and also has a good impact on lowering my cholesterol levels when i have my blood checked ( im anaemic) I plan on taking the fibre tablets over the next year whilst i make changes to my diet to include more pulses and whole grain food
  • HappyGrape
    HappyGrape Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    There isn't much you can do, processed food is nearly pre chewed for us! So when adding allot of fresh produce there will be some side effect.

I only eat moderate portion of wholegrains, very little tbh. small portion of rice, like 1 slice a bread in few weeks, small portion of wholegrain noodles.The discomfort they cause doesn't worth the benefits so I use in moderation
  • jbruced
    jbruced Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    The key is to slowly add the fiber to your diet. Going from 5 grams of fiber to 40 grams in a few days will make you gassy.
  • glenmchale
    glenmchale Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    I've had a good experience with this:

https://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pages/product_detail.asp?pid=654&prodid=872&cid=243

Not gone, but reduced alot. I have changed my diet completely, cut out (almost completely) junk food and upped protein, reduced fat, reduced carbs and increased fibre intake.... all in all its been a gas machine but the above has helped... it might help in your situation, its worth a try

Hope it helps.
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Eat....more.....fat

(In neon, blinking lights)