Looking for some advice, encouragement to stop me giving up!

Options
So I've been dieting since the 1st January, just simply counting calories and exercising every single day for about 90minutes. I alternate between swimming, walking or going to the gym.

January was a fantastic month and I lost just 23lbs MFP had me on 1480 calories a day with a goal of losing 2lbs a week. I knew I wouldn't be able to maintain this level of loss because you always get a big drop initially.

February I was thrilled to lose 12lbs, MFP had dropped me down to 1370 calories. I thought if I could lose 10lbs every month that would be awesome.

Now March so far has been a real struggle, the scales barely budge each week and so far I have lost 4.5lbs. I know its a loss and I should still be happy but it is demoralising when you are eating less and working as hard to only get a small shift in weight. I've dieted before eating more calories and not even bothering to workout and I've lost 4.5lbs in a month. I am currently on 1280 calories a day.

Does anyone know why my body could have plateaued in this way?

I'm 5ft6" my start weight was 285 and I am currently 245.5

Replies

• TimeForMe99
    TimeForMe99 Posts: 309
    Options
    Giving up isn't an answer. You haven't plateaued, you're just not losing as fast as you were before. Some weeks are like that. Take measurements and ignore the scale. Exercise changes your body composition so if you are new to working out your muscle and fluid levels could be increasing.

Consider increasing your calories to a 1 pound per week loss. You'll be more satisfied and relaxed and should continue to lose. You may also avoid the dreaded loose skin. Eat back at least half of your exercise calories and increase your protein level. The end goal is to set in place new habits so you can lose and ultimately maintain a healthy weight.
  • wldrose75
    wldrose75 Posts: 128
    Options
    Great job on losing so far! Don't give up. If you give up, you won't ever get to where you want to be. I know its hard. Its been getting harder on me too as I near month 3 of doing this. We've just gotta hang in there and be positive about every lose, even if its not as big as we might've liked.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Giving up isn't an answer. You haven't plateaued, you're just not losing as fast as you were before. Some weeks are like that. Take measurements and ignore the scale. Exercise changes your body composition so if you are new to working out your muscle and fluid levels could be increasing.

Consider increasing your calories to a 1 pound per week loss. You'll be more satisfied and relaxed and should continue to lose. You may also avoid the dreaded loose skin. Eat back at least half of your exercise calories and increase your protein level. The end goal is to set in place new habits so you can lose and ultimately maintain a healthy weight.
    Well said! In total agreement here.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Change your calories to lose 1lb per week
  • damienmyers69
    Options

Now March so far has been a real struggle, the scales barely budge each week and so far I have lost 4.5lbs. I know its a loss and I should still be happy but it is demoralising when you are eating less and working as hard to only get a small shift in weight. I've dieted before eating more calories and not even bothering to workout and I've lost 4.5lbs in a month. I am currently on 1280 calories a day.

1st off your doing excellent so congratz to you hun.

at one point in my life I was almost 25stone, but was quite fit with it too, was walking about 6 to 8 miles daily, was only when my health went real bad that it became a real issue.

I was loosing almost a stone a month for 3 months, then it stopped dead.

Think for a year nothing worked, was stuck at 22 stone, then suddenly it started to drop, within a couple of months was 21 stone, then another few months 20 stone, then it stopped dead again for another 12 months

then down to 19, then to 18 n half.

I been at 18 n a half now for like 2 years, sometimes bit under sometimes bit over.

So just thought I'd let ya know ya not alone, and to just keep doing what ya doing and try not stress out about it.

Huggz
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    So I've been dieting since the 1st January, just simply counting calories and exercising every single day for about 90minutes. I alternate between swimming, walking or going to the gym.

January was a fantastic month and I lost just 23lbs MFP had me on 1480 calories a day with a goal of losing 2lbs a week. I knew I wouldn't be able to maintain this level of loss because you always get a big drop initially.

February I was thrilled to lose 12lbs, MFP had dropped me down to 1370 calories. I thought if I could lose 10lbs every month that would be awesome.

out of curiosity, if you lost so much on 1480, why did you drop your intake to 1280??
  • jsd_135
    jsd_135 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I don't get it. What's the alternative? Gain those 40 pounds back? Stop swimming? Go back to doing what you did to gain the excess weight? You've been doing great! Don't let go of all you've accomplished.

I'm not sure why MFP lowered your calories. Did you reset your goals, to lose more per week? If so, I would go back to your previous plan so you can eat a bit more. The fact that you're thinking about giving up shows that you're feeling deprived. Not a good place to be if you want this to work for you.

Good luck. I know you can do this!
  • keepongoingnmw
    keepongoingnmw Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    remember weightloss is not a sprint its a marathon. Lots of people have lost lots of weight, and keep putting it back on. You started out strong. Just accept now its going to take longer, but you will keep losing and maintaining.

The train of thought that your weightloss is not good enough will be your downfall in the long run. Your Doing great remember that!
  • tkotaka
    tkotaka Posts: 17
    Options
    Hi there. Don't give up. 40 lb. weight loss is HUGE. Do you REALLY want to go back to that (and probably more)? It's always hard to not be disappointed after the initial quick loss in the first few weeks/months. Take measurements of your waist, hips arms and thighs. also pay attention to how clothes are fitting (or not fitting). What used to be fat is turning into muscle so you'll be losing more inches than lbs. I took my measurments last week and will be tracking this as well and I think I'm going to have to get some pants tailored soon Yay!. Exercising daily for 90 minutes? That incredible. Keep it up. Think about how much better you're feeling and how mcuh healthier your body is because you've been so dedicated to exercise. Every time you're gassing out on the treadmill think about when you were 40 lbs heavier and how much harder your body had to work. think that every SECOND you are working out is making you healthier and your calorie burn at rest is getting that much more efficient.

My other suggestion is don't think of it as a "diet". Think of it as a new way of eating. I'm still eating some of the same stuff I used to (southern fried chicken last weekend. could I have picked a worse cheat? No.) Just not as much as I used to. And now I'm getting used to eating a lot less and still being comfortable. And I find myself making smarter food choices.

I know it's easy to say to others and hard when having doubts about yourself. I have my moments. I've lost 8 lbs in the last 5 weeks and wish it were more. It's a struggle we've all been there. So know you're not alone and you'll probably have to give me some pep talk when i'm frustrated.

Best of luck! You've hit some MAJOR milestones. Give yourself a small reward for your 40 lbs.
  • anna4ce
    anna4ce Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've been changing things since 7/7/12. My first 3 months I was losing 1-3 lbs. per week (one week, I lost 4 and I don't know how...but it was awesome, lol). I wanted to lose weight and working out and counting calories was a complete shock to me: I never thought about what I ate and I didn't think I was really *that* out of shape. Man, after the first month I realized what complete bullsh*t I was telling myself. I am 5'3" and was pushing 200 lbs. I couldn't walk upstairs without feeling my heart rate increase. As I tarted working out, I thought about where I started and I didn't want to end up back there. But with dieting, I knew one day I would stop and I felt helpless that the weight would come back on.

So, I decided that for me, this isn't weight loss or starting to work out. This is going to be how I live so that one day, when I have kids, I won't be a high risk pregnancy and I can do things with them. With that mindset, it became a little more clear. What worked for me was trying to cut out processed foods. I'm not crazy (I have Velveeta Shells & Cheese at least once a week! How much more processed IS there?! Hahaha...) but I played around with smoothies, oatmeal and whole wheat banana pancakes for breakfast and started cooking more at home so I could have healthier dinners and leftovers to take to work for lunch. For me, cutting out some of the crap has been completely wonderful! I don't crave junk as much and when I do indulge, it is freaking delicious and a real treat! I'm not as good as I should be, but I am happy. Working out 3 days a wk is my new routine and it feels natural. I eat delicious home cooked meals with vegetables I didn't know existed. The weight is coming off much slower now, but this is sustainable. This is how I see myself living the rest of my life.

The point is, ditch the diet mentality. Make up your own rules and challenge yourself to make new routines, with eating and with exercise. 8 months ago, I didn't do anything and felt blah 24/7. Now, I feel vibrant, healthy, and blessed. I feel fun and sexy and my fiancee has commented on how much happier I have been. And the beauty is knowing that I'm not going to fall off the no sugar/no carb/high protein/4 day cleanse/organic/Paleo, etc bandwagon! I'm not trending with food- I'm eating it and enjoying it on my own, not eliminating anything or questioning things too much.

You can do it, just ignore the trends and do your own thing. It's all about what you can do so you don't need to worry about or plan for "when the weight comes back on". You got this - you are strong and you are changing. YOU GOT THIS.
  • Hankette
    Hankette Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness!! You have done really well!! Don't give up! I know it is hard but just keep doing what you are doing, you KNOW it works. Your body is just playing catch up. The weight will start to drop again, not as fast as before, but drop it will!! If you are taking in less calories than your body is using, you will lose again. The only thing I can think of is to move it along may be to change up the exercise a bit. Use different muscles than you have been. I must admit I have tried a few times since the beginning of the year to take off the 45 pounds that I need to lose, I take off a few and then lose focus. You have come so far!! Please don't stop now!!
  • xJustynax
    xJustynax Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Why is it that whenever something doesn't go our way the first thing we want to do right away is to give up? Even though we know that it will not change anything and will only make us more miserable and unhappy.
    You knew it wasn't going to be an easy journey, yet that was not enough to discourage you from trying. Now 3 months after with 40lbs gone you want to give up?
    Just like the others said try to change something. Either change your calories to lose 1lb a week or try eating most of your exercise calories if u want to stay with 2lbs. To me 1280 calories a day sounds like it might not be enough if you still exercise 90min everyday like you said.
    Good luck!
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    The last thing you want to do is give up! You don't want to do this all again! Think about what made you want to start in the first place and use that again as motivation!

You've done an amazing job so far and you still had a loss of 4.5lbs, if I could have a loss like that again I'd be over the moon!

Change your goal to lose 1lb a week. You were losing at 1400+ calories, there was no need to lower them! 1280 calories doesn't sound nearly enough for a 90 minute workout, unless you eat all your exercise calories back?

Good luck! Hope you stick with it!

Just think, in a years time you could be at/near your goal!
  • Goin4goal
    Goin4goal Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I've been changing things since 7/7/12. My first 3 months I was losing 1-3 lbs. per week (one week, I lost 4 and I don't know how...but it was awesome, lol). I wanted to lose weight and working out and counting calories was a complete shock to me: I never thought about what I ate and I didn't think I was really *that* out of shape. Man, after the first month I realized what complete bullsh*t I was telling myself. I am 5'3" and was pushing 200 lbs. I couldn't walk upstairs without feeling my heart rate increase. As I tarted working out, I thought about where I started and I didn't want to end up back there. But with dieting, I knew one day I would stop and I felt helpless that the weight would come back on.

So, I decided that for me, this isn't weight loss or starting to work out. This is going to be how I live so that one day, when I have kids, I won't be a high risk pregnancy and I can do things with them. With that mindset, it became a little more clear. What worked for me was trying to cut out processed foods. I'm not crazy (I have Velveeta Shells & Cheese at least once a week! How much more processed IS there?! Hahaha...) but I played around with smoothies, oatmeal and whole wheat banana pancakes for breakfast and started cooking more at home so I could have healthier dinners and leftovers to take to work for lunch. For me, cutting out some of the crap has been completely wonderful! I don't crave junk as much and when I do indulge, it is freaking delicious and a real treat! I'm not as good as I should be, but I am happy. Working out 3 days a wk is my new routine and it feels natural. I eat delicious home cooked meals with vegetables I didn't know existed. The weight is coming off much slower now, but this is sustainable. This is how I see myself living the rest of my life.

The point is, ditch the diet mentality. Make up your own rules and challenge yourself to make new routines, with eating and with exercise. 8 months ago, I didn't do anything and felt blah 24/7. Now, I feel vibrant, healthy, and blessed. I feel fun and sexy and my fiancee has commented on how much happier I have been. And the beauty is knowing that I'm not going to fall off the no sugar/no carb/high protein/4 day cleanse/organic/Paleo, etc bandwagon! I'm not trending with food- I'm eating it and enjoying it on my own, not eliminating anything or questioning things too much.

You can do it, just ignore the trends and do your own thing. It's all about what you can do so you don't need to worry about or plan for "when the weight comes back on". You got this - you are strong and you are changing. YOU GOT THIS.
  • EmmaJackson130
    EmmaJackson130 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Wow thank you so much for all the replies! I was not expecting so much support so thank you all of you. I need some of the butt kicking replies so they helped too and made me evaluate just how far I have come.

I am so much fitter and I do feel so much healthier. I went power walking on January 1st and nearly died, now I can go for a 7mile hike without even thinking about it. SO yeah no way do I want to go back to the girl I was before.

I also got into an old pair of jeans today so that has given me a much needed boost and I am feeling more positive again now. I think I just needed to have it spelt out to me so thanks for that.

I'm not sure why my calorie goal got lowered, I was just following what MFP told me to do. Every time I lose 10lbs it asks if I want to readjust my goals and I have said yes and the result was a lower calorie intake. I don't actually feel too deprived and I rarely feel hungry.

I eat a low fat yoghurt with fruit for breakfast, lunch is a bowl of soup with a few slices low calorie wholemeal bread and sometimes another piece of fruit. Then I use the rest of my cals for a substantial dinner. Today I ate a gorgeous sirloin steak, homemade oven baked potato wedges, mushrooms and a small salad. It was gorgeous and now I feel so stuffed. I also drink only 1 cup of coffee for breakfast and the rest of the day I drink water, aiming for 10glasses everyday.

As for eating my exercise calories, initially I wasn't because I didn't know I could. Then I read some hot debates about the subject on here. So now what I do is eat some back if I feel like I need too, if I'm hungry. I never eat them all back because if I did I would be back to eating around 2000 calories which seems too much. But I will eat maybe 300-400 off them but not everyday.

Anyway you are all right I am not quitting, I can only fail if I give up so I'll keep going I just wish it was coming off like it was before. But yeah i need to look beyond the scales to see my victories and recognise this as a lifestyle change not a diet. Good advice!

Thanks again everyone :)
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,369 Member
    Options
    I have been losing since June 11th last year and have lost 39 lbs. This may not sound very fast, but I have done it with 400 cals a day exercise, and 1700 - 1800 gross cals a day. I do not feel as if I am on a diet and eat delicious food. So I do not feel deprived. The health benefits have been amazing- I am 63 and feel 33. I am looking good in clothes although I still have at least 14 lbs to go maybe more. I am enjoying myself and my eating. I think that is far better than looking for a quick fix and feeling deprived, then blowing it. Find an eating system that you love and makes you feel good, then you can stick to it. Tonight I am cooking Chinese stir fry chicken with mushrooms. Delicious! It's important to learn how to cook so your food is tasty and you really enjoy it.
  • libertygirlfla
    libertygirlfla Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I don't get it. What's the alternative? Gain those 40 pounds back? Stop swimming? Go back to doing what you did to gain the excess weight? You've been doing great! Don't let go of all you've accomplished.

I'm not sure why MFP lowered your calories. Did you reset your goals, to lose more per week? If so, I would go back to your previous plan so you can eat a bit more. The fact that you're thinking about giving up shows that you're feeling deprived. Not a good place to be if you want this to work for you.

Good luck. I know you can do this!

^^^^This!
  • allknowingtomato
    allknowingtomato Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    change your settings to just lose 1 lb/week for a week. this will give you more calories. honestly, if you're working out so regularly, and you're still more than 200 pounds, you can eat more food than 12-1300 cals.

it IS totally frustrating to have been losing so fast and then to stop with what should be a substantial calorie deficit. setting your goal back down to 1lb/wk will make things SO much easier in terms of eating. if, after a month, you are still losing, consider sticking with the increased cals. i know you want to see results fast, but you also want a way of eating/living you can do forever, not just until you reach goal.

MFP is very aggressive with the calorie deficit if you let it. i think this has its benefits (especially with so much false information in the food database), but weight loss is a marathon. you have obviously done a great job of eating and moving around in Jan/Feb/March. try to spend some time celebrating your new habits. i always say "no" to resetting my cals. i'm going to wait until i stop losing to take food away from myself.