My heart rate and insanity..is this good?

Options
Hello!
I'm probably going to sound stupid asking this, but I just don't personally know.
I am on week four of insanity, and noticed that my heart rate (on my hrm) is not getting as high as it was getting when I first started. I don't know if I am somehow not working as hard or if its a good thing that my heart rate is not getting as high.

Is it a good thing or do I need to push myself more to get back to the higher levels?

Replies

• savlov30
    savlov30 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    What is your HRM when you are doing Insanity? Each day you should be getting stronger but your HRM should be high since they are mostly intervals and cardio done.
  • jcoco
    jcoco Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Your body is getting in better condition, which is a great thing, however, now you must push yourself harder (jump higher, move your feet faster, etc...) to stay in your target heart range. A lot of people plateau because they keep doing the same thing at the same rate & their body is conditioned to it & has adapted to it. Very important to keep changing workouts & intensity.
  • MonicaT1972
    MonicaT1972 Posts: 512
    Options
    My trainer told me that as you get more conditioned you have to work harder to get it into a higher zone and keep it there longer.
  • m76b
    m76b Posts: 1,498 Member
    Options
    work harder!! :wink:
  • groversa
    groversa Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Okay.. haha, and believe me I am working hard!! My heart rate used to be around 198 when doing the workouts, now usually my peak is in the high 180's.
  • RachyLovesRattys
    RachyLovesRattys Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    198 sounds really high! 180's are safer but some may even say that's high. Mine usually goes up to 170/180 on the reg and my heart rate monitor flashes for me to stop when I hit over 180. I'm only 21 and that's still high for me. I'd say you're doing great keeping it where you are! I think the math problem for your max heart rate is 220 minus your age and you should do 80% of that during cardio
  • 1tiamat
    1tiamat Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I agree, Once you hit a certain fitness level you are going to have to push yourself even harder. Also if you usually work out 3 days a week it would be good to add 1-2 more days. If you are already at 5-7 days a week I would simply add dumbbells, if you have some extra money you can add ankle, wrist, and chest weights. They aren't too expensive at Scheels for about $20 a set or so for the ankle and wrist bracelets.

The harder to push the better you'll get, just don't push so hard it is compromising your health. Also, make sure when you feel really soar that you give your muscles a break. It gives them a chance to recuperate and build.

Keep it up!
  • skinny1801
    skinny1801 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Hello!
    I'm probably going to sound stupid asking this, but I just don't personally know.
    I am on week four of insanity, and noticed that my heart rate (on my hrm) is not getting as high as it was getting when I first started. I don't know if I am somehow not working as hard or if its a good thing that my heart rate is not getting as high.

Is it a good thing or do I need to push myself more to get back to the higher levels?

Thats a good thing thats what the first month is for, it conditions you to get ready for month 2, which believe me i just started today your heart rate will definetly be up there. Do you have the delux package of insanity, if you do when going into recovery week i would suggest you do max interval sports training that will also help you transition into month 2