Short Women from about 4'9-5'2...Calorie Intake??

Options
Hey there all my shorties!! I am 4'10 and was wanting to get some info?? How many calories are you on a day and do you or do you not eat back your exercise calories?..Please advise. I have been asking some questions and it seems like us shorter women have to be on a lower amount of calories to loose weight...Share your findings please IF you are a shortie.

Replies

• njmacsmith
    njmacsmith Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It's so true, we wee ones do not burn as may calories as our taller friends ( and husbands, ha ha ) so we need less calories in order to lose weight. My daily calorie allowance is 1200 and that's to only lose 0.3 lbs. a week. Mind you, I am quite close to my goal, but I don't think I ever got much more than that. Sigh. I'm 5'3/4" but I always say 5'1". That quarter inch matters! hee hee. Hope this helps a little. it is hard too, because so many of the things I enjoy are calorie expensive. SIGH again. Keep with it, you will succeed.
  • Suzy81123
    Suzy81123 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I am 4'10" as well. =))) Never realized you were a shortie like me. lol I have a bodymedia armband that tells me how many calories I burn each day. On the days I do not exercise, I burn approximately 1950 calories. On days I workout depending on what I do, I burn anywhere between 2150-2250. This is currently while exercising to Jillian Michaels body revolution program. Since it's tax season, I'm sticking to that since it's only 30 minutes per day. When I am not in tax season, I burn up to about 2500 calories. Right now, during tax season I am eating between 1350-1500 calories per day regardless if I exercise or not. When I am not in tax season, I eat around 1800 calories per day. I look to have around a 500-750 calorie deficit while trying to lose weight. Once I'm at goal, I'll eat what I burn to maintain. Hope this helps!!!! =)))) Xo's
  • xilka
    xilka Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    5'0 - 1900 to 2400
    exercising 60-80 mins, 6x week
  • miadhail
    miadhail Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    5'2 - 1800 to 2000 calories
    exercising 60 to 90 mins, 6 days a week
  • purplekty
    purplekty Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I am 4'10" as well. =))) Never realized you were a shortie like me. lol I have a bodymedia armband that tells me how many calories I burn each day. On the days I do not exercise, I burn approximately 1950 calories. On days I workout depending on what I do, I burn anywhere between 2150-2250. This is currently while exercising to Jillian Michaels body revolution program. Since it's tax season, I'm sticking to that since it's only 30 minutes per day. When I am not in tax season, I burn up to about 2500 calories. Right now, during tax season I am eating between 1350-1500 calories per day regardless if I exercise or not. When I am not in tax season, I eat around 1800 calories per day. I look to have around a 500-750 calorie deficit while trying to lose weight. Once I'm at goal, I'll eat what I burn to maintain. Hope this helps!!!! =)))) Xo's

What she said!!! But I eat between 1300-1700 because I workout everyday at least 30-90 min...I also have a BodyMedia and my deficit is 1000 calories and calories burn are between 2630-3000....forgot..i'm 5'3.
  • RoseRoiz
    RoseRoiz Posts: 95
    Options
    5`0 calories 1200, exercising when I get the time, normally 2 to 3 time a week 90 minutes.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    5'2" here

heavy liting 3x per week for approx 60 minutes

Average daily calories = 1800 - 1900 (and still losing)

My numbers from 3 days of HRM show that my maintenance should be around 2000-2250.
  • therainandthunder
    Options
    I'm 5'2. My daily calorie goal is 1,470 though I can't seem to eat more than 1,000 to 1,200 a day . I'm trying to increase it a bit though! I do not eat back my exercise calories so I end up around 800 cals. I've read somewhere that you're supposed to though.
  • SoozeE512
    SoozeE512 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3" and I eat about 1500 calories and then I eat back exercise calories.
  • pineygirl
    pineygirl Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    4'11.5"tall, 110lbs

I eat about 1550-2050 depending on activity. No workout lazy day 1550, busy day no workout or lazy day with a workout 1750, busy day plus workout 2050.

I eat back exercise calories now that I'm eating close to maintenance.
  • iwantwow
    iwantwow Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    5'3" ,eat between 1800-1900,exercise 2 times a day,burn between 600-700 cal from exercise.do not eat 1200 cal,i did that and weight stopped coming off ..
  • youareorange
    youareorange Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    5'2", about 1500-2000 calories a day depending on exercise. 4 - 5x times a week of 60 minutes. strength training 3x a week.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    5'2 and maintain on 2100-2300 calories. Don't eat exercise calories bc I follow TDEE. I don't track burns bc in the end it shouldn't matter, just workout and eat well.
  • smartandtrim
    smartandtrim Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Hair under 5'2 here. I eat 1200 calories a day and it works for me. I am pretty sedentary though (I have some medical conditions I have to get under control before I can start really exercising again)
  • MsJulielicious
    MsJulielicious Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    5'2' 1500 and eat back exercise calories
  • hbsmall09
    hbsmall09 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    4'9 105, I REALLY struggle to get to 1200 in a day and I don't eat back my calories, yet. I am not hungry until it gets to be meal time. I work out 4-5 times a week 30-40 mins circuit training with Jillian Michaels some days and others I use a stair stepper with light weights, she is tough but I love it...... most of the time I make it through the work outs with decent energy. I get SO frustrated with "what I am suppose to do" I have plateaued with weight loss but I can feel I am losing inches and clothes fit better, workouts are easier and muscles are stronger.

so here is what I am seeing because I have been concerned about where I am at.

1.) those eating 1400 calories and above "seem" to be fit and or have a high metabolism, something most people starting out losing weight or inches don't have but work towards. I would fricken love to get to a point of fitness, no pear shaped behind and eating 2000 calories I can't even at this point think what that would mean.

2.) it is hard for me to get to the 1200 calories but I am trying, I want to test the waters to see if that works for me.

3.) Eat more times per day, try for atleast 5 times a day breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, snack

4.) WATER, WATER, WATER!!!

5.) some fitness trainers are starting to acknowledge that smaller women do have more of a difficult time losing weight, so lots of cleaning eating, mix up the work outs and be patient. I have to recognize that my rear end did'nt get oversized overnight so it's not gonna get tiny overnight.

6.) are you an Mesomorph, Endomorph, or Ectomorph? research this because it lends to appropriate diets and workouts for these body types.... you can also be a mix of types, for example I am Meso and Endo, with curent emphasis on Endo :(

7.) maybe if you start to feel the energy flagging on a consistant basis try increasing the calories 100 at a time for a period of a few weeks just to find the sweet spot

Hang in there!! I am so happy I found this site because it is very frustrating at times. I hate people saying to me Why do you need to lose weight??? *snort you are only 105lbs, the prob is I am not a lean 105 I am a midsize 105, so though my pants may be a 4 if I were taller they might be a 12. We are not all the same, just keep trying and keep experimenting.
  • luvriden
    luvriden Posts: 52
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and 61 y/o. My food goal is 1200 calories + eating back my exercise weight, which I usually eat back about 1/2 of exercise calories but always make sure I eat at least 1200 cals.
  • MagicalLeopleurodon
    MagicalLeopleurodon Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    4'8"
    120lbs
    2100 calories/day
    1.5g protein per lb of bodyweight.
  • vampire10
    vampire10 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am 4.11", I am on 1200 calories, However on average I eat around 900. I go gym 5 days a week, and burn 400 min daily.

It does work, I have been doing this since 2010, was previously Size 18, then 16, now 14. But wanting to maintain the Size 14-12.

Good Luck!!!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    5'2", I weigh 100 pounds, and I'm 35 (mother of 2). I'm on maintenance and eating 1950 to 2100 or more. I never ate less than 1800 to lose (but I was only aiming to lose 5 pounds or so). I try to lift weights 3 days a week for around a half hour. I walk probably at least 40 minutes a day. And I dance and do yoga.