What Can I eat for dinner?

Carrie6o6
Carrie6o6 Posts: 1,443 Member
I always have a meat, vegetable, and a starch... Pasta is too high in cals, I don't want rice, and I've just had mashed potatoes last night.... What else is there that I can get easily?

Replies

• Carrie6o6
    I always have a meat, vegetable, and a starch... Pasta is too high in cals, I don't want rice, and I've just had mashed potatoes last night.... What else is there that I can get easily?
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Try Quinoa - takes 15 minutes to make, is a complete protein, and has an interesting texture. Use like you would rice. You can get it at Health Food stores or sometimes regular grocery stores (might be hard to locate which aisle though).

Beans are always good too.

Polenta is yummy. It's like corn grits, but more solid. I fry mine in Pam and dust with parmesan. You can find it pre-made or make it yourself in the baking aisle.

Lentils are good.

Sometimes you can find sweet potatoes in the frozen section. I fry these in Pam as well. I also use hash browns (no added anything, just shredded potatoes) for some statch.

That should get you started.:bigsmile:
  • Carrie6o6
    ah yes! beans! I dont think i can get Quinoa here, small town but I can check... I love kidney beans! Thanks for the tips!
  • joann
    joann Posts: 624 Member
    spaghetti squash.....yummy and mashed cauliflower....like mash potoates both are great side dishes and no starch...
  • Carrie6o6
    yeah! Spaghetti squash why didnt I think of that! Have you ever tried mashed cauliflower with leek? Its really good!
  • cobra1368
    cobra1368 Posts: 90 Member
    I eat a lot of squash - butternut, acorn, and the summer squashes too. Couscous is a yummy, healthier alternative to rice, and try a baked sweet potato instead of a baked potato.

Whole wheat pasta is always a good pasta option, if you like pasta but are concerned about calories.
  • Carrie6o6
    Im not one for sweet potatoes, I dont think potatoes should be sweet! I prefer salty! I heard Butternut is really good, I should check it out. I need to get a pen and paper and write all these down and head to my store haha
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Sweet potatoes don't have to be "super sweet". I make sweet potato oven fries with a dusting of no-salt cajun seasoning, and a bit of sea salt. (then you get the salty-fry thing with more vitamins.)

They rule! I'm having them tonight for dinner with a curried chicken salad.
  • Carrie6o6
    oh curry chicken salad that sounds great! How do you make it?
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    just posted the recipe.:wink:
  • cobra1368
    cobra1368 Posts: 90 Member
    I make these sweet potatoes that are awesome! I peel and cube them, then put a little olive oil on them and stir to coat.

Then I add fresh rosemary, cayenne pepper and sea salt and bake them for about half an hour at 350, then crank it up to 400 for about 5 minutes or so to get them crispy on the outside.

They are freakin' delicious that way!

And BTW, I HATE sweet potato casserole (with brown sugar and marshmallows). I am also of the opinion that potatoes shouldn't be sweet! But adding a little sea salt instead of sugar actually brings out the natural sweet in the potato, which is much more pleasant and "real" tasting than all that sugar.
  • Carrie6o6
    I could try it out, I dont mind trying new things! Is there a big difference between sea salt and regular table salt?
  • Bert
    Bert Posts: 27
    Why is couscous better than rice?