Anyone else steam/sauna? And calories lost discussion?

Options
Spent half an hour doing a hydro-derma fusion, which is basically half an hour in first a sauna and then hot, nutrient-filled steam. Saw immediate vanishing of cellulite, belly shrunk, and feeling great. Also (TMI) I've been crapping fantastically since then. So, here's my question. I know the immediate weight loss is from losing water weight and it is coming back soon. I'm not stupid. BUT since my heart rate skyrockets during it(and I did some vacuums in there as well, as I see better results when I do lower stomach exercises in there) do I actually lose more calories lying there or is my HRT lying to me? I know I'm not losing the 400 calories they advertise, but I should be losing something as my heartrate skyrockets, right?

Discussion?

Replies

• schnarfo
    schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I imagine its just water
  • smartandtrim
    smartandtrim Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I already mentioned that in the post- I am well aware that the immediate weight loss is just water. I'm discussing specifically the fact that my HRT says I'm burning quite a lot of calories, and the fact that my heartrate is so high and I'm sweating so much along with the advertising for such devices could indicate an actual caloric loss.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    I read a few studies on this when I was living in Finland and saunaing regularly. The sweat means nothing as far as real weight loss goes--it's water. The elevated heart rate, does, however, increase your burn slightly--like, at the rate of maybe 100 calories an hour. Most people stay in for well under an hour, though, so while you might lose a handful of extra calories, in my opinion it's not worth logging.

The real benefits to sauna or steam don't include weight loss--they're good for relaxing overworked muscles, opening up your pores and so improving skin if you're prone to blocked pores, and general relaxation and mental health. Totally worth doing, but not for calorie burn.
  • smartandtrim
    smartandtrim Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Gotcha. That makes sense. I do the steam/sauna combo, which feels great. I got a groupon for 12 free ones at a local spa, which is amazing, so I've been doing it every weekend. I'll just not log it and enjoy the teensy tiny number of extra calories I'm burning.