Okay...need help, please. This is getting ridiculous.

Options
13»

Replies

• TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Since your calories are already low-ish/normal I would do what others had suggest and focus on where your calories are coming from. Eating clean at 1,600 calories is far different then eating mainly carbs or sugar at this intake level.

I lost 7 lbs and broke through my plateau of several months by keeping my calories the same but playing with my fat, protein and carb ratios.

I was bed ridden, with an injured back, eating pure junk food, lost 10lbs that month

Have you read the twinkie diet?
    http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html

Ok, I think everyone gets it: you can lose weight eating junk food at a deficit.

When I eat junk food, I get ravenously hungry, so eating junk food at a deficit, for me, simply does not happen.

Everyone is different. Vive la différence!
  • BobbieInCA
    BobbieInCA Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I stayed on 1200 a day (often with an extra 200 or so from exercise) until the extra pounds came off, and I'm 5'4". I agree with the posts that said that the quality of those calories really counts. Are you able to get the fresh produce and good protein you need for a healthy diet? My maintenance program is only 1410, and that seems to work for me, as I am pretty sedentary, too.
  • Dulcemami4ever
    Dulcemami4ever Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I can see exactly where this thread is heading, the 1200'ers are already circling and ready to dive, so as I am in quite a pleasant mood tonight I shall exit the thread at this point, OP I do hope you solve your problem, best of luck to you my lovely x

Don't hate, appreciate :)
  • mountaingirl2207
    Options
    Wow.

My body doesn't 'guess' whether it will be fed. It tells me when I am hungry and I listen to it. If I am not hungry, I am not going to stuff down a cheeseburger just because some internet calculator told me to. Advice is not one size fits all, which is why I prefaced my post with "for me".
    What types of foods make up your 1500 calories? For me, I have to keep my body guessing. If I eat the same amount every day, I don't go anywhere. So if I'm really hungry one day I'll have a 2000 calorie day, but then another day I'll do 1000 or so. The key for me is to listen to what my body is telling me. I also try to make all the calories count. I jump started my weight loss on low Carb so that Icould break my Carb habit. That was the best thing I could have done I think... now I eat carbs but not ALL carbs. Eat whole grains, lean protein, lots of veggies. Make everything count. You are really tiny and with your health issues you might need to tweak for a while to figure out what works.

^^^ Ican't help but eyeroll at that. Your body doesn't respond to guessing if it will get fed. Chances are your average calories for the week is why it responded. If your weekly average calories is lower than your TDEE then you will lose.
  • FireTigerSoul
    FireTigerSoul Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, this post went exactly the way I thought it would. :( I didn't mean to start another 1200/not 1200 argument.

I really appreciate everyone who offered serious advice...it really made me think about a few things (my medications, my height, my macros, etc.).

I think the only way I'll ever know for sure is to get some testing done. I've made the decision to to go my doctor, speak with her, and get testing done with the BodPod. I don't really have the extra money to do either of those things right now, but I see now that this is the only way I'll know for sure.

Thank you everyone!
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    You're a very small woman. You aren't gaining on 1600 calories. How about cutting down to 1350 calories, which should be a half pound loss per week?
  • LindseyAlyssa
    Options
    You are 4'11" so your calorie needs are LOWER than the standard MFP user. 1200 is acceptable for someone your height that's trying to lose weight. I'm 5'2" and goal for 1450 or so a day for weight loss. Simple ingredient foods will also really help you out, and make sure to stay hydrated and well rested.
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Firstly, weight doesn't matter. Go by measurements and body fat. Measure once a month.
    Secondly, your maintenance level is going to be quite a lot higher than what you're currently eating, nevermind to lose.

Your TDEE at 'moderately active' (3-5 days a week) to maintain your weight is 2311.
    Your TDEE at 'very active' (6-7 days a week) to maintain your weight is 2572.

To lose 0.5lb a week at moderately active = 2061.
    To lose 0.5lb a week at very active = 2322.

Eat more and measure.
  • taiyola
    Options
    You are 4'11" so your calorie needs are LOWER than the standard MFP user. 1200 is acceptable for someone your height that's trying to lose weight. I'm 5'2" and goal for 1450 or so a day for weight loss. Simple ingredient foods will also really help you out, and make sure to stay hydrated and well rested.

At 4'11" working out 6 times a week, you think she should eat like 100 calories above what I suspect would be her BMR? Rubbish 'advice'.
  • taiyola
    Options
    Unfortunately, this post went exactly the way I thought it would. :( I didn't mean to start another 1200/not 1200 argument.

I really appreciate everyone who offered serious advice...it really made me think about a few things (my medications, my height, my macros, etc.).

I think the only way I'll ever know for sure is to get some testing done. I've made the decision to to go my doctor, speak with her, and get testing done with the BodPod. I don't really have the extra money to do either of those things right now, but I see now that this is the only way I'll know for sure.

Thank you everyone!

Why does everyone think they have a medical condition as to why they cannot lose weight? :noway:
  • FireTigerSoul
    FireTigerSoul Posts: 274 Member
    Options

Thank you everyone!

Why does everyone think they have a medical condition as to why they cannot lose weight? :noway:

Nevermind. I'm letting this thread go.
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    1200 is way too low for women who are say 5'3", like me. I lost weight on 1200, but I also became lethargic, my hair shed way more, it was not pleasant. Since you're 4'11", 1200 may just be ideal for you.

I suggest googling tdee calculators online, be very honest with your activity level, and see what they tell you to eat. If you include exercise as part of your tdee, then don't eat back exercise calories, since they've already been accounted for. Try out a few different calculators to see what the average is.

Also, I picked up a dandy little food scale at a garage sale, which is a lot more accurate for measuring food than estimating sizes or amounts, or using measuring cups, although I use cups once in a while for dry foods like cereal. It feels ocd, but you get used to it. Scales are especially handy for meats and cheeses, since I usually underestimate what I'm eating with those foods, the scale means I can eat more of them. Woo!

The next issue may be that you're overestimating calories burned. Mfp #s are optimistic, some are downright laughable. I suggest a heart rate monitor. You don't need a fancy one, mine is a brand called Pyle, cost me $28 on amazon. Whoops, didn't see the last part of your post. Keeping this up for anyone else who is looking for help, though.

Anyway, these are the tips I received that really helped me, and I'm happy to pass them along. Good luck. :)
  • LindseyAlyssa
    Options

At 4'11" working out 6 times a week, you think she should eat like 100 calories above what I suspect would be her BMR? Rubbish 'advice'.

Someone is feeling rude.
    It should be a given that she should eat back her exercise calories (making it anywhere from 1700-2000 a day). Only she can determine what is perfect for her through trial and error, but her NET calories would probably be fine around where mine are. The first focus should be on nutrition, not calories. Make sure to get enough protein, fats, carbs, etc. and see where that puts you calorie wise.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

Thank you everyone!

It is frustrating to see this thread turn into another 1200 calorie argument. Despite the fact that I advocate eating as much as you can while losing weight, because of your height it seems more likely that 1200 is appropriate. But I would scale down gradually, not jump right to the low end.

You also didn't respond to those asking whether you use a food scale?
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options

Thank you everyone!

Why do so many people feel the need to post every passive aggressive thought that flies into their head...
  • tanialuke
    tanialuke Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I usually get confused reading answers on the forum because there are so many different conflicting opinions on calories and whatnot, but I really need help. I don't know what to do. If I could find someone who has been in the same situation, that would be awesome.

I've been on here since January 2012. Last year I ate 1200 calories and did mostly cardio 5 times a week. I ate back exercise calories only when I was hungry enough to eat them. I lost about 16 lbs and countless inches. (It would have been more, but last summer was tough for me and I didn't exactly stay on track during those months).

December 2012 I stalled out. January 2013, I read IPOARM and decided to increase my calories to 1600. I changed my workout routine to cardio and strength training (pilates and other low-impact exercises, though. Can't handle anything more due to health issues), cardio 3x a week, ST 3x a week.

Since January, I have gained 10 lbs on the scale. So obviously, no weight loss. No inch loss, either. Pictures look the exact same, except I think I see a slightly higher butt, but....that's it. No changes whatsoever. Clothes fitting the same.

I FEEL like I can feel more muscles in my thighs, but maybe I'm just so desperate to see a change that I'm just finding things that were there before.

I dropped down to 1500 about a week and a half ago. No change. I want to drop down to 1200, but I keep hearing from everybody how bad and horrible it is. I just don't know what to do! This is getting ridiculous.

Should I drop down to 1200, since I know that this works for me? I have CFS/ME, and I'm worried that maybe this means I have a lower caloric need as a result. I have no insurance, so I can't afford to go to the doctor and have my thyroid checked.

Stats: 4'11, 150 lbs(current, includes weight gain), pretty sedentary (student), with the exception of 40 minutes exercise 6x a week. Calculators online show my BF to be around 29%.

I am VERY careful about my calories (accuracy), and I use a HRM, so I'm not overestimating on calories burned. Thanks.

OMG!

You sound exactly like me!

We are the same height and share the same confusion about how many calories we should be eating, and we are both not losing despite seemingly trying to do everything right! I would love to be friends so that if one of us figures it out we can share..

I upped to 1400 last week even though Dan told me I needed to go to 2100 for a month! I just didn't think I could do it. Today I have upped to 2000, and I will stay here for as long as I can. I need to find out from dan whether maybe 2 weeks is enough, rather than a month. I am so frightened of putting on.

Hopefully we can do this together!
  • mimiyo1980
    mimiyo1980 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Just guessed on your age (23) but here are your estimates....

BMR - 1421
    Sedentary (little or no exercise, desk job) - 1772
    Lightly Active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk) - 2031
    Moderately Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk) - 2289
    Very Active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk) - 2548

Exercising 6x a week puts you at LEAST moderately active, so your tdee is 2289. Take 20% cut and that puts you around 1800 daily goal. 1200 would be too low based on your numbers.

Good advice