Keeping energy levels up?

Options
Ok so i've been doing a 3 mile hike every day this week and I absolutely LOVE it, I genuinely look forward to it when I wake up and not just because of all the calories it burns. The problem is that after doing this all week today i'm so tired I can barely move and yesterday for the last half mile (almost all steep uphill) I kept seriously considering laying down in the 6 inches of snow on the very uneven ground. There is absolutely no way I have the energy to do another hike today although i'm not going to skip working out. So does anybody have any advice on how to get more energy besides the obvious energy drinks or bars?

Replies

• red103112
    red103112 Posts: 20
    Options
    Bump
  • chezzielou1984
    Options
    I take a banana with me when I go walking and as well as water I take a bottle with either Mango or Pineapple Juice.
    Also do not over do it with the intensive exercising. Your muscles need a day to recuperate after a long walk so why not walk a long way every other day and do something light in between.
  • IliN82
    IliN82 Posts: 108
    Options
    Why every day? Could you not do it every other day and then do something different in between? Do you eat enough?
  • adopt321
    adopt321 Posts: 111
    Options
    Everyday might be too much especially if you're new to working out. If you want to keep going at it though, you might try taking a health snack with you and definitely some water, consume a protein drink before you leave. If your body is telling you to rest you should otherwise, you could hurt (i.e., fall or trip on your hike or something) from being so tired that could result in a major set back. I'm just saying try to listen to your body.
  • red103112
    red103112 Posts: 20
    Options
    I just really enjoy it. I get to walk an a road through the woods with gorgeous scenery, hawks and eagles flying above and deer and rabbits walking on either side and it leads to a river that runs through the mountains. It's just incredibly peaceful and I swear as good as meditating. I do make sure I get my calories in or at least very close and don't drink anything other than gatorade, juice and water.
  • ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Definitely take something with you--fruit, a protein bar or whatever you prefer BUT as enjoyable as it is, if it's a strenuous hike, you need a break to let your body recover