BLAND Gluten Free Oatmeal...

I need oats in the morning for the "slow burning" carbs, but since giving up wheat and gluten, I can only find plain gluten free oatmeal. It is so. disgusting. I can handle a lot of foods but not bland oatmeal.

I'm a fan of brown sugar and maple, but by the time I get a bowl of oats sweet enough to eat, it's just pure sugar. I've tried cutting up fresh fruits and adding a little milk; that didn't do it for me either.

Does anybody else have this problem? Anyone got any suggestions for how to get this stuff down?

Replies

• athryn
    athryn Posts: 59
    I'm not sure how it fits in with your diet, but I add a tablespoon of almond or peanut butter to my oatmeal, and some dried fruit, like raisins, dates, or cherries. The nut butters help with added protein for me. :)

In particular, Justin's Maple Almond butter is pretty delicious, but I had to switch back to plain almond butter as that stuff is like crack and can be eaten straight with a spoon.

Hope that helps!
  • badtastebetty
    badtastebetty Posts: 326 Member
    All oats are bland.

I'm a big fan of making savory oatmeal. Cook in milk, or stock. Salt and pepper(any herbs, spices you like). Poach an egg in the oats and top it off with some hot sauce and a little bit of cheese.
  • hilldiggity
    hilldiggity Posts: 166 Member
    I make my oatmeal with the yellow chemicals (splenda), cinnamon, salt and a pat or two of butter and it's delish. Sometimes I'll have it twice a day!
  • badtastebetty
    Almond butter, mashed banana or cooked apple, and cinnamon!
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Protein powder, cocoa powder, sliced banana and a chocolate bar. Maybe some honey.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    http://www.emilybites.com/2011/01/baked-blueberry-peach-oatmeal.html

bloody awesome, makes enough for a few days and you can just reheat it.
  • boroko
    boroko Posts: 358 Member
    I stir in some Linwoods milled flaxseed with goji berries - it adds calories but is very nutritious and delicious. They do all sorts of combinations, including one with cocoa and berries that I haven't tried yet but sounds interesting. I can't even eat gluten free oats and this manages to make my rice and buckwheat porridge edible so I think it's pretty amazing!
  • rosered93
    rosered93 Posts: 69 Member
    A few things I like:

When actually making the oats:
    -- Making the oats with applesauce as part of the liquid (if you're doing it in the microwave), or just stirring it in while cooking on the stove
    -- Stirring in canned pumpkin puree
    -- Stirring in sugar-free, flavored yogurt
    -- Cocoa powder, carob powder
    -- Peanut flour, peanut flour + cocoa
    -- Stirring in coconut oil
    -- Cooking with cut-up fruits (I generally just use frozen ones)

As toppings:
    -- Nut/seed butters (peanut, pecan, almond, tahini, coconut, sunflower)
    -- Sugar-free syrup
    -- Fig goat cheese (oats + cranberries + orange stevia + fig goat cheese = heaven)
    -- Unsweetened chocolate, cocoa nibs

If you're big into sweet oatmeal and are kind of sketched out by artificial sweeteners, NuNaturals stevia drops are great. Even if you're not sketched out by artificial sweeteners. They also come in flavoured varieties--vanilla, lemon, orange, peppermint, chocolate. iHerb.com sells them quite cheap with great shipping costs within America. The price/bottle seems kind of high, but for the number of drops needed to sweeten, it's totally reasonable.
    Aaand finally, if you have money to burn, Capella Flavor Drops are magical. It's literally flavor in a bottle--no sweeteners, just the chemical compounds that comprise a particular flavor in a carrying medium. They have dozens of varieties (but not super cheap--I think netrition.com has the lowest prices?) and like 3 drops will make your oatmeal taste like french toast/caramel/blueberries/coconut/what have you.
  • badtastebetty
    A few things I like:

When actually making the oats:
    -- Making the oats with applesauce as part of the liquid (if you're doing it in the microwave), or just stirring it in while cooking on the stove
    -- Stirring in canned pumpkin puree
    -- Stirring in sugar-free, flavored yogurt
    -- Cocoa powder, carob powder
    -- Peanut flour, peanut flour + cocoa
    -- Stirring in coconut oil
    -- Cooking with cut-up fruits (I generally just use frozen ones)

As toppings:
    -- Nut/seed butters (peanut, pecan, almond, tahini, coconut, sunflower)
    -- Sugar-free syrup
    -- Fig goat cheese (oats + cranberries + orange stevia + fig goat cheese = heaven)
    -- Unsweetened chocolate, cocoa nibs

If you're big into sweet oatmeal and are kind of sketched out by artificial sweeteners, NuNaturals stevia drops are great. Even if you're not sketched out by artificial sweeteners. They also come in flavoured varieties--vanilla, lemon, orange, peppermint, chocolate. iHerb.com sells them quite cheap with great shipping costs within America. The price/bottle seems kind of high, but for the number of drops needed to sweeten, it's totally reasonable.
    Aaand finally, if you have money to burn, Capella Flavor Drops are magical. It's literally flavor in a bottle--no sweeteners, just the chemical compounds that comprise a particular flavor in a carrying medium. They have dozens of varieties (but not super cheap--I think netrition.com has the lowest prices?) and like 3 drops will make your oatmeal taste like french toast/caramel/blueberries/coconut/what have you.

These are awesome recommendations! I need to try this goat cheese action.
  • hidensee
    hidensee Posts: 21 Member
    One of the easiest things to add to get some extra flavor without a lot of sugar is vanilla extract or almond extract. Just a few drops to your oatmeal will make a huge difference. Make sure your extracts are gluten free. I like to add honey nutmeg and cinnamon.
  • Thanks everybody! I can't wait to try these. All of them! :)
  • jeda1231
    jeda1231 Posts: 63 Member
    Every morning i have gluten free oats from Trader Joe's with Elite Vanilla Whey Protein, cinnamon, almonds and frozen blueberries mixed in - amazingggggggg