Are You Afraid Of The Gym?

gurlondrums
gurlondrums Posts: 187
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
Silly question, right? Let me give you a little back story.

I have never set foot in a gym before in my life. In highschool, I played soccer, and we ran laps around the football field or the highschool gym, that was our cardio. So for a long time I knew nothing else (by the way, I'm 23). So I went for walks, did the at home videos, blah blah blah. I have always been "althletic" but I've also always had a bit more meat than everyone else. And in December I was at my heaviest, so I said no, I'm gonna change this. So I did the walks and the videos and the yadda yadda yadda. They work great, don't get me wrong. It doesn't always work for everyone's situation though.

So anyway, over the past few months, my friends and coworkers have been BUGGING me to go to the gym with them. And I say, oh yeah, I'll be there and then oh I can't this night or this day. Whatever. The reality was, I was scared of the gym.

Scared that it would be full of hot chicks and hot guys and when I walk in, they all gasp and say, oh my gosh! Look at the beached whale! Scared the trainers would laugh at me. Scared I would break the machines with my weight (ha, yeah right, have you seen the Biggest Loser? THEY don't even break the machines). Scared of falling off a treadmill as it goes at 50mph. Scared of having to take showers again in public, that dreaded locker room. Don't look at me naked, please!

So yesterday, I gathered up the courage to BUY a MEMBERSHIP. Not actually go to workout. Just bought the membership. Okay, step one is done, now you have to actually GO!

So today is my day off of work and I knew the trainers are only at my gym until 12pm today (I kinda needed a walkthrough being as I've never used the equipment before). So I dragged myself around the house, ate some breakfast, did some laundry, and acted all lazy. Until hubby said, just go already. So I packed a gym bag, and I went, butterflies in stomach.

Now here comes the funny part.

I walked in the door and NONE OF THAT HAPPENED. They welcomed me. They gave me a tour. The people working out don't stare at you and gasp, because.... they're working out, in the zone, doing what's gotta be done. You're not even really there to them. I met with a trainer, he should me all the machines and how to work them. He didn't laugh at me. He was actually proud of me that I had my own heart rate monitor and a plan of what I wanted to do. The machines didn't break, no matter how far I pushed them (and hey, I pushed 'em hard, I was kinda proud of myself for doing different speeds and inclines and not passing out). The showers aren't half bad 'cause nobody was in the locker room anyway. I don't know where I got the idea that the place would be packed like a sardine can. And guess what, there were hot chicks and hot guys, but there were also chubby ones and people trying to lose somewhere around where I wanna lose. There were young people and old people. It was a melting pot.

So... are you afraid of the gym even though you really WANNA go? Are you afraid of what I was afraid of? Well, you don't have to be anymore. I experienced it for you. Nothing bad will happen. All you have to do now is get up and go. Don't be afraid! JUST GO ALREADY! (thanks hubby!) :drinker:

Oh, and by the way, I burned 735 calories in 60 minutes. A new record for me! Score! :love:

Replies

• KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    That's fantastic! Thanks for sharing. I know I felt scared at first too. I find people either do not see you or are impressed that you are there and are working out so hard. I have actually had people come up to me to tell me how great I am doing and how seeing me work out so hard inspires them.
  • jdurham87
    jdurham87 Posts: 62
    I LOVE going to the gym! I can do more than the people that go at my time (midnightish) so it makes me feel good! I can lift a lot too in the weight room so I like to show off, hehe :-). But I was nervous at first... I remember getting butterflies when I was pulling into the parking lot thinking..."I'm so out of shape, I'm going to be huffing and puffing. I'm only going to be able to be on the treadmill for five minutes. I'm just gonna go back home!" But I didn't and 7 months later I kick *kitten*!! I'm glad I got the membership, it makes me feel great. Hope you have as much success as me, good luck!
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Hoping that means you are going to get your money's worth out of that membership!!!!!!! Keep it up!
This discussion has been closed.