Just Starting Up My Diet - Where Should I Shop For Food?

Options
So I live in a small town and the only grocery store we have is Fry's (Kroger), Safeway and Wal-Mart.. But I live by Phoenix, Az so I can shop from there. It's like an hour- an hour and a half away. I can go but I'm not sure where to shop. I've only heard of Trader Joes and Whole Foods. I have been into Trader Joes, although.

Replies

• Revonue
    Revonue Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what Fry's or Safeway have, so sorry if I recommend something similar!

I've heard a lot of people like Whole Foods, though we don't have one around here.

Is there any farmer's market you can get to once it's summer?

Wegmans is where I get a lot of my food, and Budwey's.
  • Woomytron
    Woomytron Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    You can find healthy food anywhere.

Farmer's markets are nice because you get a deal on fresh fruits and veggies, some of them have good meat too.

I shop anywhere I can get to, Wal-mart, Giant, whatever.

Good luck!
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I get all my food at Wal-mart. When we lived on the east coast we got ours from Safeway. It isn't necessarily WHERE you buy, it's WHAT you buy.
  • nikiholm
    nikiholm Posts: 19
    Options
    I love Sprouts Farmers Market for produce and PB alternatives
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    It isn't necessarily WHERE you buy, it's WHAT you buy.

QFT!! This is the key.
  • djc315
    djc315 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    No need to go to Whole Foods or Trader Joes for healthy food. Whole Foods is overpriced, anyway.

Safeway, Wal-Mart or Krogers or any grocery store is fine.Out of those three, I'd go with the one with the best produce options.
  • 1fitwong
    1fitwong Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I get all my food at Wal-mart. When we lived on the east coast we got ours from Safeway. It isn't necessarily WHERE you buy, it's WHAT you buy.

Totally agree with this!
  • lizlkbg
    lizlkbg Posts: 566
    Options
    I shop at Safeway and Walmart. You don't need special or expensive food. Just veggies, fruit, protein, complex carbs. Feel free to look at my diary (but not yesterday. yesterday was bad ;) )
  • Michelle81285
    Options
    It doesn't matter where you shop, it matters what you are getting. Stick to what they say is the "Outside" and stay away from the aisles! Outside is the produce, diary, meats etc all the processed bad crap is in the aisles pretty much!
  • sgrubby
    sgrubby Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I live in Phoenix and go to Sprouts for specialty items like bulk grains (Quinoa, flax seed, chia seeds, etc). Regular supermarkets are fine if you make the right choices. Remember, a calorie is a calorie and you need to maintain a deficit. But if you replace simple carbs with complex carbs and fatty meats with leaner proteins, you may feel fuller and more satisfied longer.
  • groversa
    groversa Posts: 450 Member
    Options

Totally agree with this!

^^ This! Exactly :)
    I shop at Walmart or Cashwise. Like they said, it doesn't matter where you get it, it just matters what you get! No need to spend all that extra time and money to go get groceries a hour+ away!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

Totally agree with this!

I shop at Walmart or Cashwise. Like they said, it doesn't matter where you get it, it just matters what you get! No need to spend all that extra time and money to go get groceries a hour+ away!

I would say stay away from the meat/seafood department at walmart...most of their seafood comes from China...
  • j4nash
    j4nash Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    sprouts has the best prices on produce
  • lizlkbg
    lizlkbg Posts: 566
    Options

Totally agree with this!

I would say stay away from the meat/seafood department at walmart...most of their seafood comes from China...

Oh, good point. I actually don't buy meat/seafood from Walmart either. Safeway is okay but careful - the farmed shellfish I personally don't eat.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    kroger is just fine. or a regular grocery store. that's where i shop. no need to buy fancy crap from the health food stores. i'm a vegetarian as well, and am able to get by just fine on a healthy diet.
    tip, shop the outer aisles. the inside aisles usually are just processed and high in a bunch of crap you don't need (other than plain oats in the cereal aisle haha). canned stuff is fine too just watch out for sodium levels. but yeah, if you stick to your outer aisles where produce, meats, dairy and frozen are then no worries. or the aisle that has dried beans, rice and pasta
  • CCusedtodance
    CCusedtodance Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    No need to go to Whole Foods or Trader Joes for healthy food. Whole Foods is overpriced, anyway.

Safeway, Wal-Mart or Krogers or any grocery store is fine.Out of those three, I'd go with the one with the best produce options.

^^^^This---I am familiar with the stores in Arizona and there is no need for a specialty store. As others have stated, you just need to buy wisely and especially when buying any processed foods. It is amazing the amount of sodium, carbohydrates, sugars and fats in those foods. Learn to cook with spices for flavor, grilling is a great way to cook that adds flavor to just about anything and if you can make foods in large batches to freeze for quick frozen dinners.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    It isn't necessarily WHERE you buy, it's WHAT you buy.

QFT!! This is the key.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options

This is the key sometimes Wal-Mart has some beautiful fruit and veggies. We have a local chain here in Cali called Stater's and I've never seen such full heads of romaine anywhere else.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Sweetheart, you are 14. You shouldn't be on this site.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    Sweetheart, you are 14. You shouldn't be on this site.

www.sparkteens.com