Heart Rate and Calories Burned

Options
KLSG23
KLSG23 Posts: 32 Member
Am I burning less calories doing the same workouts b/c I am in better shape? I always train above my target heart rate range and lately it seems that I can not get my heart rate up as high. Does this mean that I am getting in shape and it's time to switch it up? That's what I would like to think it is but I just wanted to check w/those of you that are more experienced.

TIA

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    No.

Calories burned depends on weight and intensity. If you have lost weight you will burn fewer calories in the same workout. Being fit also allows you to work at a higher intensity or longer which can burn more calories.

If you are using a HRM to measure, you may need to adjust the settings to reflect your lower heart rate.

If two people, one who is very fit and one who is not, who weigh the same do the same workout, they will but the se amount of calories.

Heybales has a spreadsheet here that can help you set your HRM for better accuracy
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/heybales/view/spreadsheet-ver-3-for-bmr-tdee-deficit-calcs-macro-calcs-hrm-zones-426221