How do you tone your arms?

Options
What's your favorite exercise for toning up your arms, especially the upper arms? I used to have pretty good upper arms when I was a cart pusher for the Home Depot, but now that I'm a cashier, I don't do as much lifting and pushing. I was thinking weights, but I'm not sure how to start. I can't go to a gym, so I'm looking for home doable stuff. Thanks! :smile:

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Pushups and chin ups would get you a long way there
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    good question! bump!
  • imryanblank2
    Options
    What's your favorite exercise for toning up your arms, especially the upper arms? I used to have pretty good upper arms when I was a cart pusher for the Home Depot, but now that I'm a cashier, I don't do as much lifting and pushing. I was thinking weights, but I'm not sure how to start. I can't go to a gym, so I'm looking for home doable stuff. Thanks! :smile:

by reducing your bodyfat %.
  • Fr3shStrt
    Fr3shStrt Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I :heart: pushups. Make them challenging though. If you can easily to a pushup, then put your feet on a chair and do them like that.
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options

^^

Definitely something heavier than 2-pound dumbbells.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options

+1

I don't even do isolation moves for biceps/triceps any longer, because push-ups, chin-ups, shoulder presses, etc. build the muscle all over. Iso moves tend to be too much in a well thought out program.
  • _AC3_
    _AC3_ Posts: 16
    Options
    Standard curls, hammer curls, and rope pull-downs should get you going.
  • sammykat76
    Options

Wow...that was helpful. :grumble:

I admit I'm pretty weak, especially my left shoulder which has been severely injured in the past.
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options

Wow...that was helpful. :grumble:

I admit I'm pretty weak, especially my left shoulder which has been severely injured in the past.

Well, that really is the answer, to "tone" you need to reduce bodyfat.

The best thing you can do is not worry about only your arms, but work your whole body, with compound lifts like squats, deadlifts and bench press. The results of those lifts will benefit your entire body including your arms.
  • rachjenn
    rachjenn Posts: 87
    Options
    Hiya
    I use my resistance bands (bought from amazon) Printed off loads of exercises and I do them daily. Can workout the whole body using them, I love um'!
    My boyfriend does an exercise which he says does the arms brilliantly... sit on the edge of a chair/sofa, push your legs out then raise your body with your arms - go down and up horizontally
    Hope this helps