Almost cried at my reflection today.......help?

Options
Hey....I'm a 19 year old, very insecure girl. I stand between 5'3" and 5'4" and I weigh about 146 pounds. I'm currently attempting to lose some weight following the "In Place Of A Road Map" plan.

Well, today while I was out shopping, I went to try on some shorts for the summer and I saw the back of my legs and they were terrible. So much cellulite. More than I ever see in the mirrors at home. I couldn't believe how bad I looked. I feel horrible about myself right now. I'm not sure what to do. I never had it until I gained weight so I'm hoping it goes away when I lose weight.

I'm eating at a 15% deficit from my TDEE, so I eat about 1700 calories a day. My job keeps me pretty active (I work in fast food....lots of running around in case people don't know) and 2 - 3 times a week I walk about a half mile. I also walk for about 10 - 20 minutes on my breaks (only sometimes) at work so I think I have a good amount of cardio in my workout. I also lift weights 2 - 3x a week for 30 minutes and I do 5 - 10 minutes of exercises that specifically target cellulite.

I'm somewhat considering cutting out the walking that I do on my breaks and do the 30 minutes of weight lifting, and start doing the 'Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred' for exercise.

I'm going to cut out all junk food. I eat almonds, peanut butter, eggs, grilled chicken breasts, lots of fruits, vegetables and whole grains. I'm gonna stop drinking soda and drink strictly green tea (no sugar) and water.

Any other advice? Please?

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Stick to your food budget, and more cardio and keep up the lifting. A half mile walk isn't much in the way of cardio.
  • mywieghtmustcomeoff
    mywieghtmustcomeoff Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thirty day Shred will work. I suggest you go in the vitamin aisle and see the benefit that support your weight lost. There are many, and I'm not talking about weight loss pill. I really mean vitamins. Don't cry you will get their, I will help you along the way. Another thing you should do is post your picture of what you use to look like and keep that as a reminder of why you are losing the weight. Trust, doing Jillian Micheal will really make you stop eating anything that is unhealthly.
  • sarah_the_girl
    Options
    Stick to your food budget, and more cardio and keep up the lifting. A half mile walk isn't much in the way of cardio.

To be honest, I've lost more weight in two months by only lifting weights and making sure my calories are right at 1600 - 1700 daily than I did in two years doing cardio and weights 4 - 5 days a week.
  • sarah_the_girl
    Options
    Thirty day Shred will work. I suggest you go in the vitamin aisle and see the benefit that support your weight lost. There are many, and I'm not talking about weight loss pill. I really mean vitamins. Don't cry you will get their, I will help you along the way. Another thing you should do is post your picture of what you use to look like and keep that as a reminder of why you are losing the weight. Trust, doing Jillian Micheal will really make you stop eating anything that is unhealthly.

I hope that the 30 Day Shred will help. I've seen others talk about how it's done them a lot of good so I hope it will for me. Thank you for the encouragement.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are doing everything right. I think you are making the right choice by replacing the walking with increased time with the weight lifting. Strength training is so much more effective than cardio for getting rid of fat, although cardio does have its place in regards to increased endurance and for good health in general.

As far as department stores go, you are not alone. Those dressing rooms will highlight every imperfection on anybody - it's not just you. I'm at my goal weight, and I still look better at home than in a department store dressing room.

I also like 30 Day Shred and Ripped in 30 from Jillian Michaels. Those types of exercises are super effective since it incorporates both strength and cardio at once, and it's really effective.

Best of luck!
  • sarah_the_girl
    Options
    It sounds like you are doing everything right. I think you are making the right choice by replacing the walking with increased time with the weight lifting. Strength training is so much more effective than cardio for getting rid of fat, although cardio does have its place in regards to increased endurance and for good health in general.

As far as department stores go, you are not alone. Those dressing rooms will highlight every imperfection on anybody - it's not just you. I'm at my goal weight, and I still look better at home than in a department store dressing room.

I also like 30 Day Shred and Ripped in 30 from Jillian Michaels. Those types of exercises are super effective since it incorporates both strength and cardio at once, and it's really effective.

Best of luck!

thank you for this, really it helps. The mirrors in other dressing rooms never make me look as bad as the one did today. I know a lot of people will say that more cardio is the better choice to make but for losing fat, I've found out through my own experience that weights really are better for that. I hope that I'll start seeing results with these new changes! Thank you.
  • Bookaholic88
    Bookaholic88 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Im almost done the 30 Day shred and there is a noticeable reduction in cellulite on the backs of my legs and on my bum. I would highly recommend it.
  • sarah_the_girl
    Options
    Im almost done the 30 Day shred and there is a noticeable reduction in cellulite on the backs of my legs and on my bum. I would highly recommend it.

Thank you for this!
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    The lighting in many dressing rooms is enough to turn even the best bodies into horror movie images. Don't use that as your guide.
  • lizlkbg
    lizlkbg Posts: 566
    Options
    Persist!

You will get there if you keep going in the right direction every day.

As Jillian says, you have to fight for this. Decide that you will fight and that means against your own demons.
  • lizlkbg
    lizlkbg Posts: 566
    Options

^^^^^Me too!!
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/919010-my-30-ds-results-sweeet-burn
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    that was me just over a year ago. that is when i knew i had to do something about it. i am 5.2 ft and was 142 lbs. it's been a super slow process but i am now 118. what you are doing is all good. keep at it and you will see changes.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Was it Kohls?

I swear, the back of my legs look like the surface of the moon in Kohls dressing rooms. :grumble:
  • MyProgressISYour1Proof
    Options
    I' also 146 and your height. I just wonder if you need to lose or just tone up. I'm toning due to all the loose skin from my weight loss
  • Dragonnade
    Dragonnade Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I have no particular advice, but I do have to say that dressing rooms are the number one reason I HATE shopping. It's not a fair reflection of how you look. The lighting always makes you (well me anyway) look ill. The tilting of the mirrors adds weight. And no one looks at a particular aspect of you from every angle in the same way you do in a dressing room.

Horrible places. Really, truly ghastly places for perpetuating body image hiccups as the worst thing ever to happen to a human being.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Was it Kohls?

I swear, the back of my legs look like the surface of the moon in Kohls dressing rooms. :grumble:

The lighting in Target makes all the veins on my boobs and arms visible. It's so gross.
  • sarah_the_girl
    Options
    The lighting in many dressing rooms is enough to turn even the best bodies into horror movie images. Don't use that as your guide.

I sure hope you're right.
  • xprettyreckless
    xprettyreckless Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Start running?

I heard it helps reduce cellulite.
  • sarah_the_girl
    Options

^^^^^Me too!!
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/919010-my-30-ds-results-sweeet-burn

Glad to know that the 3DS helps!
  • sarah_the_girl
    Options
    Was it Kohls?

Actually it was Wal-Mart :(